Lucky points...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Faisal, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Hi ppl,

Just wondering, Do u guys apologize when you score a 'lucky point' (just over the net)? Or do u guys get happy and scream YES!

A few weeks ago I scored one in doubles and clinched my fist coz I was happy but one of the opponents forced me to apologize and said if I don't then he won't continue! (he was joking anywayz, but still...)

2. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    I know what you mean. One of those shots that just barely goes over, or one that balances on the net then goes over. I hate waiting to see if the shuttle will make it over not. I don't apologize, they know it was just luck, and it has a 50/50 chance, plus they will probably make one of those shots also.

3. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    I never apologise, all they need to do was get to the net quicker and dink it back over when it starts to fall:D

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    This may sound weird but I DO apologise when it happens. Because the opponent can never make a good return IF they get it.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Just put your hand up to acknowledge the fluke, no need to make a big issue out of it, cheering wildly not exactly sportsmanslike, after all you never mean to hit the net, apart from when doing net shots.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, most of clubs I attend, ppl (including me) say "sorry" for this kind of "lucky" bounces. Since this kind of shots are relatively rare in a game, we won't be tired out of saying "sorry" to each other, or discontinue the game.

7. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    I guess it all depends on who you're playing.. pumping your fist is kinda like trash-talking and it's fun when you play with friends :)

8. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Cool to see that I am getting some replies as I am still new here...:)

I myself put my racket up when these shots happen (eventhough I am really happy inside; especially if this happens at 13 all:D) Even Peter Gade and Camilla Martin put their racket/hand up...I am sure you guys have noticed this in the Olympics 2000.

By the way I asked my coach if it is possible to 'master' these shots (nearly impossible though) and he answered "YES but the player's reaction time should be sharp." What did he mean by this?

However, it will be quite risky to attempt it...won't it?

9. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    Of course you will get replies even though you are new here. ;) "mastering" these types of shots...hard...very hard. These type of shots require tons of precision and accuracy, and a bit of luck. If you are winning by a lot, then there wouldn't be a huge risk in trying the shot. The reaction time that your coach mentioned is because after your shot just barely goes over, your opponent doesn't have a lot of choices as to what shot to make. If the shot is close to the net, most likely your opponent will just tip it back. (that is what i would do, because I would be afraid that my racket would hit the net if I trie to push the shuttle back) You should always remain centred on the court, but keep in mind what the probable return of the lucky shot will be. So you will have to be quick to return it again. Anyways, that is just what i think your coach meant.

10. fallen

fallen Regular Member

i do this a lot. when i smash and drop, i just aim for the white tape of the net and it usually hits it and falls over. so i guess my shots aren't lucky points. it's not hard but takes a lot of practice. :D

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Nah, I don't apologize. Luck is a part of the game. If such shots happen, then it's my luck it just flew over.

I'd do a smile and punch the air?

I have been doing shots like this more often of late as I experiment with 'barely there' strokes, and I find it simply exhilarating! :D

#11 wilfredlgf, Aug 18, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    depends how intense the rally is.... if it's really intense, then i'll say "yes!" and then probably put my hand up in apology.... most of the time, when i play at my club, we just laugh it off anyway....

13. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    In my experience i never apologize because i don't expect them to do so if the same thing happens plus luck is part of a game it could go both ways...

But i do feel bad when i go for a smash and the shuttle hits the frame and instead does a steep drop just inches past the net, even when i score on that one.

14. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    funny thing, i was just at a badminton camp this past weekend and a coach talked about that very thing. "you'd be sorry," he said, "if it DIDN'T go over!" he said if anything, put your racket up. that's all i really do anyway, because it's something that will happen to your opponents as well, as someone pointed out.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's a practice of common courtesy to apologise for unreturnable shots, whether it happens in social play or tournament. Of course, not apologising would be tantamount to trash talking and just plainly indicating to your opponents that the shot is by design not luck:p.

16. Smashed

Smashed New Member

High School
    Is it possible to reurn shots that are a centimetre from the net if u get there to slow, without hiting the net? I usually just put my hand up say sorry, especially when the shuttle hits the edge of the raquet, and goes in the opposite direction.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Possible, but very unlikely to return successfully. Ideally, you would want to take the birdie at the tape whenever possible. You could wait until the birdie drop further and lift it from the floor after it cleared the netting. Usually the birdie would encounter friction from the net to fall back down w/o going over or even get caught in the net. Also, it could turn into a big lift for the opponent if too much force is applied. It's a low percentage shot, and best to avoid it by getting to the drop sooner.

18. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Have u guys ever seen this happen in an actual match when the shuttle hits the edge of the racket and makes to the opponent's side? We have seen the normal 'lucky shots' but I have never seen these 'racket edge shots' though they happen alot in clubs...

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think apologizing after a lucky shot may be unique to badminton. have you ever seen a tennis pro apologizes to their opponent if they won by hitting the net cord?

my guess is that badminton originates from the polite noblemen in England. so if they won by luck, they'd apologize to their opponent.

i personally follow the tradition and apologizes if i either win hitting the netcord or if i win hitting the frame.

i noticed many international ladies players do that, but i am sad to see this tradition fading in MS/MD. the players seem to be so psyched up they have lost track of the tradition of the sport.

20. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

I have actually seen some tennis players apologizing when they win the rally with these kind of shots...