Improving mentality

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kwilko, May 16, 2012.

1. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

Ok i just want to state that i am new to badminton central. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone in this forum knows any tips on how to improve my mentality as i am ver y weak in the mental side of badminton. So i play for my county i badminton but whenever go 4 points behind in a match my mind autimatically tells me over however this is only against the very best i would be happy if someone could reply, thanks.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    This is what sports (and probably life) is all about.

Not giving up.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

It is hard to learn metal strength. Look at Juliane Schenk for instance. She is working with a mental coach for quite some time (more than a year I think) but still she often struggles in big games or gets really frustrated with herself.
    You need to learn how to be relaxed and focused at the same time.

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Mental strength builds upon self-confidence which comes with solid skills and techniques. Telling yourself that you're good but in fact you're not leads to a bigger disappointment and endless frustration. By no means can you have stronger mental strength without improving physical fitness and skills in parallel, which would otherwise be your own illusion.

In general, in my humble opinion, unless a player is as skillful as Lin Dan, weak mental strength is a terrible excuse.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    to improve in badminton, you need to have:
    1. good coaches (to tell you what you are doing wrong, and what you should do instead).
    2. good lessons to emulate (eg, http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=19996, youtube and live SS/GP tournaments)
    3. good players to practice with. (Good players will also be good coaches. They will tell u what u are doing wrong and what u should do instead.)
    4. good local tournaments to participate in. (These are like exams; without exams, you will never improve.)
    5. good books about sports generally (eg, strength, endurance, sports psychology, biomechanics, physiology, nutrition, physical therapy)

#5 pcll99, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    For me, it is all about our mind set. When you really say it is over, it IS over! Slowly change your mind set that you still can chase the point difference, fight until the very end. Easy said then done but do-able ;)

It is simple, share your thoughts with your badminton friends( like what you are doing now). Maybe you felt the pressure at the start .. are you a regular playing for your county? It takes time but I bet after all the experience you gain, you could overcome it *cheers*

*pcll99 guide could help too :D*

7. micalhassi

micalhassi New Member

accoutant
    In other words we can say that you cannot play under pressure. You need to take control on your self in this condition. your mind set and cannot attached with this conditions. You need to check up from psychologist.

8. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    lets say you are losing 8-16, would you tend to give up or keep on playing? I had my worst days ... lost 5-21 =.= lol

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  10. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Basically there are four points which nowadays (used to be different) help me to keep cool:

1) Trying to act like one of the best players who always keep cool (or at least look like that). Take Lee Chong Wei or Simon Santoso as examples, you hardly ever see their body language revealing disappointment or frustration. This way, you can tell yourself: "I'm looking very professional." - even if there's a big gap between the scores of you and your opponent (like it also happens to the best players). The feeling of "looking professional" helped me quite often not to lose self-confidence. And you make some impression on your opponent. But if you show frustration, it will probably not only worsen your game but also improving your opponent's game.

2) Believing that I can still turn the game around even if there's a huge gap between the scores. How can I believe that? From experience! It happened to me that I won games in which I was 12-20 down. So it can happen again.

3) I can see that many opponents "fear winning", i.e. the closer they get to game point or match point, the worse their game gets. If you stay focused in such a situation, they get more and more nervous with each point you get (because they fear you may turn the game around), and this way you can really do it.

4) When I'm really far behind, I take it as a chance to relax. It sounds paradox, but I don't feel pressure anymore: Nobody expects me to turn the game around. So maybe then it's better to think: "I won't let my opponent win *that* easily, first I'll get some more points" (instead of "I really have to win all xx upcoming rallyes, otherwise I'm trashed" - which puts too much pressure on you).

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    found this useful info:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/sports-psychology-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Improving Your Focus with Sports Psychology

Focus is one of the most powerful tools in sports psychology. Whatever sport you compete in, the ability to focus is essential to success. When you’re in the middle of a practice or competition, does your mind ever wander? If so, your performance is taking a hit, because you aren’t completely focused on the task at hand. You can improve your focus by following these tips:

• Know what you need to focus on. The clearer you are about what you want to focus on, the more likely you’ll be to stay focused on the factors that contribute to your success.
    • Focus on what you can control. You have control over yourself and your own actions and attitudes — nothing more. Keep your focus here. If you focus on outcomes (things you have no control over), you’re creating unnecessary anxiety. Focus on the process and you increase the likelihood of positive results happening.
    • Stay relaxed under pressure. When you’re stressed and anxious, your focus drops. Find ways to stay calm in high-pressure situations, such as taking deep breaths, stretching muscles to loosen them, engaging in effective routines to keep your focus where it needs to be, or listening to music that keeps you centered.
    • Use cue words. Cue words are simple words and phrases that remind you of your focus points. Repeating words and phrases such as relax, play hard, or quick feet will remind you to focus on what you need to do. If your mind is focused on your cue words, your body will follow.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There are many motivational books in the library that can help. Am sure those librarian can direct you to the section to get the mental power you need. ;)

13. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

Thanks everybody just lately On sunday i beat my rival i was 10-3 down but beat him 21-19

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    good for u. Keep a log of what u did in the past 24 hours leading up to this victory (eg, what u ate & drink). Try to remember how you feel and think, too.

15. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

Ok thanks for the idea

16. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned it, but playing 1 point at a time helps.

Even in a 1-sided non-contest, points are at worst 60/40. Therefore, you've got a good chance of winning the next point. Then, you've got a good chance of winning the next point. Then, ...

To me, it feel far more doable than "I've got to win 10 out of the next 13 points".

17. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

I found it alot easier doing it like that acctaully ive got training tonight so i will try my hardest not to fall behind by to much

18. micalhassi

micalhassi New Member

accoutant
    There are many way to get motivation like books, personality, inner.
    Always pay concentration on playing game. Don't consider your self inferior as others.
    Memphis Personal Training