Opinions - Playing it to the weak opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jason123, May 16, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

What are your opinions on this?

There are times where I could smash it or drop it to the weaker player and easily get a point, where as if I played it to the stronger player they could return it and the game would resume.

I kinda feel like Im cheating

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I always go for the stronger opponent because I know my power will eventually break them~ I tend to do light shots to the weaker guy to give them some learning experience and to participate in the game! Other than recreational level of play, you won't find such a difference in skill level between partners and I usually play according to the level. If it was at a tournament, by all means, go for the weaker person.

3. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

but if you play it to the weaker player, he will become stronger with experience.

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Make sure everyone on court has fun. That's the principle for club games.

5. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    That is narrow-minded and selfish. This is the reason badminton may not grow past what it already is at. In North America it is seldom televised in comparison to Basketball, Hockey, and Tennis. If you only wish to stay in your secluded club beating everyone there and not growing the sport as a whole to create more competition and popularity then don't play with the weaker players. But that is a sad, sad outlook.

Everyone was in this 'weaker player' stage, I guarantee yourself included. If no one played with you because you were the 'weaker' player you would not be where you are right now. Albeit the stage you are at now is probably not the best if you won't play with a weaker player because they will grow as a player.

6. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Assuming that there is a noticeble difference in the playing strength between my doubles opponents..

If the stronger opponent makes a weak return, I smash to him..If the weaker opponent makes a weak return I do not smash, but play a drop or clear...If their return is not weak, I play to gaps between them..

Some of the players in my club (mostly avergage) try to win by singling out the weaker opponent even duirng the freiendly matches...I avoid playing with them..I would prefer to play against an absoulte beginners than against them..

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Depending on the occasion. Assuming it's a competitive game, playing to the weaker one is not always right tactically either. Strong or weak is relative, to who? To your attack, to the opponent's partner?

If the weaker player is in cross-court position, and while he might be weaker, still able to play some good enough a straight reply, by playing your shots to the weaker player in this case could actually get you into trouble.

8. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    way to go vinod ... i too have a acquaintance (friend's friend) that is really a beginner. Played with him thrice in the past 2 months but hardly can see any improvement although we (friends and i) tried to teach him some basics (foot work, grip and stroke).

I guess he just play casually, really hope one day he will improve somehow. Time will tell ;)

9. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

Same. I usually hold back whenever my shots are directed to the weak opponent. When I say weak though, im pertaining to someone who's rather new to the game. If the weak opponent has been playing for a long time and is categorized as weak player due to his poor technique and countless errors then I would totally not hold back.

Going back to the question. Yes I find it cheating-ish if your opponent is paired with a newbie and you get easy points by directing your shots to him/her. I don't know but winning that way is kind of lame. IMO.

10. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I was going to mention this. Its very true, I can even remember me staring off with experienced people and the shots they would play to me where totally different to what they would play to anyone else

E.g they would lighty push it towards me or even hit it up knowing that i couldnt really do anything

Kinda felt crap and inferior, But im past that level now

11. Firedrive

Firedrive Regular Member

Project Manager - Hotel Logistic
    If I play against much weaker player, I would practice some placement shot like punch clear, slice drop, slice reverse drop, slice smashes, netplay etc to move them around and only occasionally smash at them.

But in one of my club, if I partner with a weaker player, most opponent will avoid me. They will use clear or flick serve to move the weaker player to the back because they want to avoid me controlling the rear court with heavy smashes. It's not always the best game for me most of the time but I would play pretty aggressive in such games if I have the chance to go for the kill. Just feeling pretty annoying if my weaker partner can't finish the rally from the back and their smashes are too weak for me to intercept at the net. It's like you can't do anything.

Sometimes, I rather partner up with an OK lady to play against a men's double. I have more control than partner up a weaker guy which give me a higher opportunity to win the game.

12. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

when i said if you play it to the weaker player, he gets better, i'm saying why you SHOULD play it to weaker players, not avoid hitting with him to protect your own level.

i apologize if my point was not clear enough, but i don't believe you had to use your interpretation of my quote to try humbling me.

13. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Your use of the word 'but' is not in relation to any previous statement you made. You can not assume the viewers are able to interpret your statements as you do so within yourself. Now that you mention it, I see what you are saying but the statement itself is still unclear.

I was addressing that statement as it was meant in my interpretation. Your statement was opposite to what I assume you meant because of the miscommunication from thought to writing. Disregard that statement as addressing yourself if it is not what you intended and you should not feel insulted by it.

#13 Jonster, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Play to win unless you are practising and then still play to win. If there is a much weaker player and there is no chance of losing then practise shots.

15. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    calm down guys .. dont have to be "arguing" over such matter ;).

If tournament ... against weaker player = no mercy lol (one should have prepare for the challenge)
    Casual play .... really hope the weaker player should improve time to time if he is serious about badminton.
    Practise .... thats where i started, so i think it we should give one another chance to improve in our game