2012 Thomas & Uber Cups: Comments on matches

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Finals 2012' started by chris-ccc, May 18, 2012.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    In less than 34 hours, the first matches will start at Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.

Let's give out these info/links:

For Schedule of Matches:
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draws.aspx?id=18EE3904-EED4-4A97-BF4B-69500CD7021D

For Time in China:
    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_CN.aspx

For Live Streaming:
    Perhaps BCers from different countries can post the links that are working for their regions. Different countries sometimes cannot use the same links.

From BWF YouTube, we were told that we could watch;
    * Group Play - Day 1 Uber Cup (Session 1) Japan vs USA
    * Group Play - Day 1 Thomas Cup (Session 2) China vs England.

Here is the BWF Live Streaming link:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bwf

For those lucky enough to be able to watch the matches live, we hope to read your posts/comments as the matches are played.

#1 chris-ccc, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

3. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Let's go Ina UC and TC

Give your best shots :)

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of NST

[h=1]Training blues[/h]By K.M Boopathy 0 comments

THOMAS CUP: Malaysian team get little help from organisers

[​IMG]
    The Malaysian squad at the lobby of the New World Wuhan Hotel after their arrival yesterday. Pix by Edmund Samunting

CHINA, as hosts of the Thomas Cup finals in Wuhan, were yesterday accused of making life difficult for the Malaysian team.
    The Malaysians found out that they had missed the training session of 10.30am to 1.30pm, given by the tournament organisers, upon reaching Wuhan at 3.30pm yesterday after a three-hour train journey from Guangzhou.
    The organisers then offered an "immediate training session" of 90 minutes for the Malaysians at the Wuhan Sports Gymnasium Centre, which was more than 30 minutes away from the team's hotel. However, the national squad found the timing unacceptable as they had yet to take their lunches.
    Following the Malaysian team's refusal, the organisers allocated a training session for 9pm to 10.30pm, which the coaches again rejected.
    The Malaysians will get only an hour's training today at the tournament venue but national singles chief coach Rashid Sidek said his players were used to this kind of pressure, especially during team events in China.
    "It looks clear that they want to make life difficult for us. Training sessions should be allocated based on the arrival of a team but our session was arranged before we even reached Wuhan," said Rashid.
    "They gave us a session immediately after our arrival from Guangzhou but our players hadn't had their meals then, and the second session was so late that it was pointless.
    "We will get only one court and one hour training at the tournament venue tomorrow (today), and we will have to get used to it.
    "The Guangzhou stint did us some good as there were four days of quality training and the players were also totally focused.
    "We know how difficult the campaign is for us and the tough times have already started for us but the players will work hard to overcome the odds.
    "China are clearly ahead of us but we are evenly matched with the other teams. The semi-final target remains."
    Malaysia overcame the odds when China hosted the Thomas Cup in Guangzhou in 2002 by beating them 3-1 but the feat is unlikely to be repeated.

Read more: Training blues - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/training-blues-1.85453#ixzz1vHgqf8z6

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of NST

Taufik: I will go out with a bang

THOUGH it is his last Thomas Cup campaign, Taufik Hidayat is not going to fade away like an old soldier.
    The Indonesian veteran wants his last battle in Wuhan to be one that people talk about.
    Taufik, a former Olympic champion, admitted his team face an uphill task in toppling China but said he is still in shape to give his best shot against the team whom he has engaged in psychological warfare many times.
    On the early Group B clash between the two Thomas Cup giants, Taufik said victory will depend on the team management's strategy.
    However, he is more concerned about the quarter-finals where Indonesia need to win to progress and be prepared for a second clash against China, if they meet again, in the knockout stage.
    "This is my last Thomas Cup. In fact, I didn't want to play in 2010 but the national association asked me to play on. But I will not play again after this," said Taufik at the Wuhan Sports Gymnasium Centre yesterday.
    "I want to give way to the younger players. If I keep playing in the Thomas Cup, they won't get their opportunities and this is the last for me.
    "China are definitely very strong and no team can challenge them. We don't have a strong team, neither do Malaysia or South Korea and it is hard to stop the hosts from winning.
    "We are playing in the group stage but the management must tell us what the strategy is.
    "I want to have a good tournament and go as far as I can. If we meet China again in the knockout stage, we will fight till the very end."
    If Indonesia meet Malaysia, Taufik said it will be a close affair despite the fact Indonesia's senior and back-up team beat the Malaysian senior squad in the Axiata Cup last month.
    "The environment is totally different in the Thomas Cup, and (Lee) Chong Wei didn't play then (in the Axiata Cup). It is going to be tougher if we meet them here."
    Taufik will be making his seventh Thomas Cup appearance and having won it twice, one can safely assume he enjoys the tournament and if Indonesia can stun China, the veteran will gladly ride off into the sunset.

Read more: Taufik: I will go out with a bang - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/taufik-i-will-go-out-with-a-bang-1.85458#ixzz1vHlocNjA

6. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

That was awful action by organizers

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Shame shame from power house. Lack of service and communications. Anyway, it's their land. ;)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

"This is my last Thomas Cup" said Taufik Hidayat

Wishing Good Luck to Taufik Hidayat and the INA team. :):):)

I also believe that our current 4 Heavenly Kings in Badminton (Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat) would be playing their last Thomas Cup event here.

This should make this year's Thomas Cup tournament somewhat a very special event. ;););)

9. laonong

laonong Regular Member

LD is still young. Why retire? maybe retire from national team and be a independent

player. But he can still play for Thomas cup if the team needs him. Chongwei is only one year older than LD and no other team players better than him.Why retire so young?

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why retire so young?

From what I've heard about LD; It's not that playing at tournaments is a problem. It's XXF's wish for him to settle down, and for them to start a family.

11. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    It is a very bad timing for Xie Xingfang to do such a thing because it's a very critical period for Lin Dan to start putting 110 percent into his game rather than thinking about all these unnecessary stuff which can be achieved in due time.

For pete sake, he is only 28 and thinking of retiring so soon ? Why can't he just play on until 30 ? Learn from Gade..

12. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Europeans usually peak later that asians, so you can't really compare them.
    Also, I'm sure that LD is able to focus on the OG. In fact, knowing it's your last chance is perhaps a better boost than any other.
    Furthermore, family might be unnecessary stuff to you, but for some people is very important. It's difficult to keep delaying having children once you're in your late 20s ... biologically.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Huang Sui will be playing for Australia!!

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Intuitively speaking,I expect Lin Dan to slow down significantly after the OG whatever the outcome. In his recent interview, he made it clear his family now comes first. How to blame him when his beloved wife XXF is two years his senior,her biological clock is ticking,time to start a family. Besides,he's won everything there is to win in badminton,what other heights to scale,it can be lonely up there as the undisputed greatest Supreme Master of Badminton.

He will be even more selective of tournaments he play in and no doubt continue to do national honours and duty in important major championships,particularly the team events. To expect that he would live up to his wish to emulate Peter Gade's longevity as he has said before is ,well,vain hope. Furthermore,he doesn't need the money,being relatively well-off I believe from his years of successes and achievements. Perhaps,LYB might invite him to offer his services as coach,sparring partner or trainer or some such capacity in his Badminton Academy at Dongguan, Guandong province, which for him is more as a labour of love than anything.

Such a great pity, at 28 to 30, for him to retire is a huge loss to the badminton world, not only to China. But what is there to keep him going? If Peter Gade had accomplished half as much as Lin Dan, he would have retired a few years ago, I think. Even Lee Chong Wei is seriously considering retirement after the Olympics or at most after next year's world championship just to fulfill his expressed mission, and that is because he feels enough is enough after years of playing second fiddle to Lin Dan, besides the age factor.

From now on , let us enjoy, savour and cherish every match these two legendary greats can present us. For me, I find it hard to imagine badminton without Lin Dan, wore still, without Lee CW as well. By the time this two living legends retire,I can only wish Chen Long and somebody else can step up to the plate.

For now, let the battle begins, The Thomas and Uber Cups 2012 !

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By the way,even LYB expected as much with respect to Lin Dan's lesser motivation and drive. In an interview about Lin Dan, he said 5 years ago he would ask that Lin Dan give of his best and win every tournament. Nowadays,he's satisfied as long as Lin Dan performs as expected or required, and wouldn't blame him much for the occasional loss. He claimed he understood Lin Dan better than anybody else.

When not even LYB or Lin Dan's wife XXF who used to say she wants to see him win every match can push him, what else can? Lin Dan in that interview also said the simple joy of winning and beating an opponent is no longer there unlike at the beginning of his career; ever since he became famous, he felt the pressure of having to live up to others expectations and fulfilling his duties where success is the only acceptable outcome. He also said that whenever he's with his family and friends,he made it a point that nobody is to talk about badminton.

After hearing all his heartfelt words, I am even more convinced that Lin Dan in the run-up to the London OG will be awe-inspiring as before towards the Beijing 2008 Olympics, after that he will just let go and be a different Lin Dan , to put it mildly, or be no longer the Lin Dan we know in the negative sense. I guess,that's life, all good things must come to an end one day, leaving only sweet and wonderful memories.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So far the resurgent Wan Yihan has proven to be remarkably resilient and a true fighter after her infamous 2010 Uber Cup fiasco. This time round, I'm pretty certain she will perform admirably throughout the tournament, we shall see.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wish Taufik all the very best, that he will go out with a bang and not a whimper in this his last Thomas Cup and similarly for the following Olympic Games.

18. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Wang Yihan and Li Xuerui better live up to their expectation. They cannot afford to squander especially in a major team event.

19. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

It will boost Australia's chances

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member