User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post Suggestions for a Racket

    Hey all,
    I currently use a 'high end' novelty racket which is 83g with Nanogy 98 strings at 23lbs.
    However, I dislike the flexible shaft since my swing has become faster and feel as though I'm not getting as much power from it compared to stiffer rackets I have tried.

    I play badminton for 1-3 hours at 5 days a week, I love the sport and am receiving coaching lessons. I like to position my shots, have control over the rally and whenever possible, smash it.

    My coach recommended that I get a racket of medium flexibility (Arcsaber 7 or VT70)
    Or a Yonex Z Force (someone at my club had a Z Force but it felt much heavier than my own racket even though it was a 4U)

    ***I'm going to Hong Kong to purchase the racket and am not worried about price or durability, just performance.

    Suggestions are greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How stiff of a racket are you looking for?
    Are you only interested in Yonex or will other brands suffice?
    Do you want head heavy or even balanced (I assume you don't want head light)?
    Do you play singles or doubles?

    And...I'm really jealous of the amount of time you get to play.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha yeah, I'm so glad that I get the time to play more this year!

    I'm looking for a racquet that 'isn't' flexible - so from medium to extra stiff will suit me fine, and I'll adapt to change my stroke for what I have.
    I prefer Yonex but I am willing to branch out to other brands. I'm not too worried about price/brand/durability, only performance.
    I also prefer to have an even balanced racket (but again, I still don't mind trying out head heavy)
    I play singles more often than doubles. (I only play doubles at my club)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You have said that VTZF 4U feel heavy in your hand, your coach suggestion is correct Arcsaber 7 or VT70. Having played with both of them, i prefer to use VT70 more, since it has better raw power than Arc 7. Arc 10 is just slightly head heavy than VT70.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    While I can't recommend a specific model, I suggest you follow your coach's recommendation and evaluation. You are still developing your skill and muscles, forcing yourself using a racket which is too heavy head or stiff will hurt you quickly and suddenly. Speaking from experience, the last thing you want is to suffer from sport injury which can take months to years to fully heal, if ever. Use what your body tells you and don't get suck by all the fancy marketing and macho idea.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great, thanks a lot, Licin
    I'll see what I think of the VT70 and Arcsaber 7 in Hong Kong.
    Any more suggestions are welcome, I would like to try out and do research on as many rackets as possible (to find whatever is best for me).

    Thanks wlachlan, I'll keep in mind what you said and if anyone suggests anymore rackets, I'll also get the input of my coach. (However, he seems to like Yonex and I guess that's why he recommended the ones listed before)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krauq View Post
    Great, thanks a lot, Licin
    I'll see what I think of the VT70 and Arcsaber 7 in Hong Kong.
    Any more suggestions are welcome, I would like to try out and do research on as many rackets as possible (to find whatever is best for me).

    Thanks wlachlan, I'll keep in mind what you said and if anyone suggests anymore rackets, I'll also get the input of my coach. (However, he seems to like Yonex and I guess that's why he recommended the ones listed before)
    The best option you could do is borrow as many rackets as possible to find the one which suits you best. However the one that you think the best at that time, might not be the real best for you, simply because while you are trying other people's rackets, those rackets has been strung according to their preference which might not be the same as yours, & second some of the rackets has been strung too high, low or even have loss its tension while you are trying it. You simply find the best racket for you give those condition, it may give you an insight on which racket's characteristic you may prefer.

    Since you don't really like VTZF, meaning that i will have to put head heavy racket aside. That will lead you towards even balance & head light rackets. There are a lot of rackets which has those characteristics since you open to other brands as well. You will end up buying more rackets to satisfy your curiosity. Please refer to below for several options :

    Yonex : VT70, Arc 7, Arc8Dx ( Stiffer than Arc 7 with the head more or less similar), NR700FX ( another forgiving racket from YY with the shaft more flexible)

    Victor: MX60, MX70, BS 11
    ( BS is designed to be a fast racket, while MX rackets still quite fast with slightly plus point on power)

    Kason : F9 ( All around racket & forgiving racket from Kason as compared to the C7 which is head heavier )

    LiNing : Several LIning racket i have tried fell on head heavy side, such as N90, N90ii, N55, N50ii. I have not tried all around LiNing rackets which makes me unable to offer you some recommendation, otherwise it would be blind recommendation.

    Carlton : AirBlade 33, quite cheap & a lot of people have said that it is a very forgiving racket & it feel on all around racket with slightly light in head. Pick for the Blue Color. Other color will have different feeling.

    Since your coach have advised you for VT70 and Arc 7, he must know your level of playability better than anyone in this forum could be. First, he is a coach & second, he is your coach. I would suggest you to buy VT70 or Arc 7 after you have spent a lot of time with it while sharpen up your technique and such you might then be able to consider buying other rackets.
    Last edited by Licin; 05-18-2012 at 05:04 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, thanks so much!
    That's probably enough to keep me shopping around for a whole day I'll make sure I buy a VT70 or Arc 7 then I suppose.
    Anyway, I appreciate your time, thanks again!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,452
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would go for MX70..

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I would go for MX70..
    Hi again Avenger, that's actually a fair point... From other comparisons, people say that it has more maneuverability and power compared to the other two.
    Although no one at my club has an MX70 or a VT70 so I don't have much to experiment with. I guess I'll have to have a feel of the rackets at the shop and see what my coach thinks about the MX70 for me.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,452
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krauq View Post
    Hi again Avenger, that's actually a fair point... From other comparisons, people say that it has more maneuverability and power compared to the other two.
    Although no one at my club has an MX70 or a VT70 so I don't have much to experiment with. I guess I'll have to have a feel of the rackets at the shop and see what my coach thinks about the MX70 for me.
    maybe VT70 wins a little bit in power department
    however MX70 should be quicker
    I have MX80 and I must say it feels very quick for a 84 gram racket
    or if you want to follow your coach advice (medium flexibility) then go for MX60 (I hate MX60 paint job though..)

    the Z-force felt heavier because Z-force is a very head heavy racket
    lack of maneuver, but very good power (of course if you are playing singles, maneuver is not the biggest problem)

    arcsaber 7 is a good choice if you want something medium
    yes medium on everything (medium flex, medium balance point)

    go for victor really, they are cheaper, and perform as good as Yonex rackets (then the rest of the money can be used to buy grips, restringing service and maybe shoes?)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    maybe VT70 wins a little bit in power department
    however MX70 should be quicker
    I have MX80 and I must say it feels very quick for a 84 gram racket
    or if you want to follow your coach advice (medium flexibility) then go for MX60 (I hate MX60 paint job though..)

    the Z-force felt heavier because Z-force is a very head heavy racket
    lack of maneuver, but very good power (of course if you are playing singles, maneuver is not the biggest problem)

    arcsaber 7 is a good choice if you want something medium
    yes medium on everything (medium flex, medium balance point)

    go for victor really, they are cheaper, and perform as good as Yonex rackets (then the rest of the money can be used to buy grips, restringing service and maybe shoes?)
    Hehe, I've already bought shoes and enough grips/strings to try on the racket, and I'll have to agree with you there.. I don't like the MX60 paint job either.

    Would you happen to know about how much control there is for the VT70, MX70 and Arcsaber 7? (compared to each other) Because going by theory, it seems as though I would like the VT70 due to the power advantage. But I guess I'd have to actually try holding/swinging the MX70 and VT70 before making up my mind.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krauq View Post
    Hehe, I've already bought shoes and enough grips/strings to try on the racket, and I'll have to agree with you there.. I don't like the MX60 paint job either.

    Would you happen to know about how much control there is for the VT70, MX70 and Arcsaber 7? (compared to each other) Because going by theory, it seems as though I would like the VT70 due to the power advantage. But I guess I'd have to actually try holding/swinging the MX70 and VT70 before making up my mind.

    For the control part, in my honest opinion you just need to spend more time with your racket to get timing & everything correct, then you can control the racket the way you want.

    You could buy MX70 as well, i have never tried MX70, however i have used MX80 on & off, & for me MX80 is a great racket, MX70 & MX60 is more forgiving racket than MX80 since the shaft is more flexible. MX60 has the most flexible shaft among 80,70 & 60.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    For the control part, in my honest opinion you just need to spend more time with your racket to get timing & everything correct, then you can control the racket the way you want.

    You could buy MX70 as well, i have never tried MX70, however i have used MX80 on & off, & for me MX80 is a great racket, MX70 & MX60 is more forgiving racket than MX80 since the shaft is more flexible. MX60 has the most flexible shaft among 80,70 & 60.
    Yeah, I guess you're right.

    As for the MX80, do you mind telling me why you think it's a great racket in comparison to the VT70? Because earlier on you said that you prefer the VT70 over the Arc 7 due to the power. Would this be the same case for the MX80, with the VT70 having more power?

    Although since the MX80 has more maneuverability, I would assume that it's easier to use in doubles and the VT70 would be easier to use in singles?

Similar Threads

  1. Suggestions for a new racket for SGD 80-100
    By Nexis in forum Market Place
    Replies: 7
    : 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM
  2. Suggestions for my next racket
    By tobiascra in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 11
    : 02-27-2010, 06:19 AM
  3. Need some racket suggestions
    By lawdawg in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 6
    : 11-13-2008, 02:38 AM
  4. I want to get a racket..any suggestions?
    By sky713 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 7
    : 03-19-2006, 03:19 AM
  5. suggestions for a new racket??
    By flipinese_azn in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 27
    : 02-25-2003, 09:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •