Problem with Elbow, but don't know what it is.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Dr.Dino, May 23, 2012.

1. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

Recently, while I am playing, I have been noticing that my elbow always starts hurting. I am still unaware of whether I disjointed it or fractured it, but it generally happens after I make a power shot, and soon after I stop playing, it heals. This problem has been around for about a month or two now, but I cannot confirm what it is or whether or not to see a doctor, due to the pain always going away very quickly (5-10min afterwards). Any help or advice?
    THANKS!!!!! :D

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    sounds like start of tennis of golfers elbow. The test for tennis elbow is to put your hand and arm down flat on table. Ask something to hold down your middle finger. and u try to lift up your middle finger. This will be quite a sharp pain if you have tennis elbow. If in doubt c the doc about it but it needs rest and a bandage when you do play next while. Give forearm a stretch and when it feels good, start light weights and flex extend wrist, supinate, pronate and radial and ulnar deviation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-CxrXVrkQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsvWW_tcct8&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAV7XDlZyU

3. ronnieman

ronnieman Regular Member

I've had this problem for a couple of years now. If you keep playing without any physical therapy as stated in the previous post it will probably get worse. It's unlikely to just go away.

4. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Hi, sometimes adding an extra grip to your racket will ease the tennis elbow. My friend had the same problem but was fine when you used a thicker grip because he hasn't gripping the racket as tightly.

5. aril79

aril79 Regular Member

used to have some elbow soreness/pain too
    however after i switched to head heavier racket...the problem seems go away
    i believe the head heaviness helps me to transmit my power more efficiently...thus less burden to my elbow

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    What u have to remember is it is a repetitive strain injury! So increasing grip size should help but be aware that ur grip is relaxed most of time. Only time grip tighens is upon impact of shuttle.

If you do play, id say start off slowly, say 30 mins max with this relaxed idea in ur mind and do those exercises above also

7. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I had the same problem and thought oh **** .. tennis elbow etc.
    Actually it was the wrong smashing and backhand technique.

Once I learned the correct techniques all the pain went away.
    I suggest u look into this first as a possibility.

8. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Hi! I used to have the same problem. I'm right-handed, so if you're left-handed, swap "left" and "right" in the next few lines. ;)

General reason for elbow problem (in my case): Overextension of elbow.

Scenario 1: Overextension when I returned smashes to my left side, because my arm was the only part of the body I moved. Solution: Improvement of backhand defense, i.e. rotate your body leftwards so that you don't have to overextend your elbow in order to return the shuttle (always make sure your elbow is at least slightly bent!). A step with your right foot to the left side may also be necessary if otherwise you are too far away from the shuttle.

Scenario 2: Overextension when trying to hit the shuttle at its highest position (for either clears or smashes). Prevention of injuries comes first, so better try to reach the shuttle at a slightly(!) lower position by bending your elbow a bit. On the long run, you can practice to jump in order to hit it at a higher position. This is to be preferred to overextension of the elbow!

9. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Totally agreed. My problem was also due to hyperextension of the elbows.

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good to get the techniques right when on impact. Don't over extend. Use some wrist work. ;)