Unable to push higher

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Exch54, May 23, 2012.

1. Exch54

Exch54 New Member

Hello everybody, I'll just start off with a little background information :)
    I'm 15 years old have been playing badminton for 5 years with 2/3 different coaches. I've always been near the top of my division, now U16, but have never been able to push to the top. Right now, I'm already near the top in my club and the games I do lose are mostly very tight 3 games. Personally I don't feel that I can improve anymore, but I know that I can. I just don't know how to take it to the next level. Another thing is that when I play in tournaments I get very nervous and find that I am unable to perform at my max. I am just asking for some tips on how I can push it to the next level of badminton and how I can get over my nervousness problems.

Thanks everybody.

2. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    You want to be at the top of your division U16, you can not be comfortable with where you are. Assuming you actually want to be at the top of the U16 division in Canada, it would be silly to think you can't improve anymore. That is what stops a player from developing, being comfortable with where you are at.

You have to be able to challenge yourself and literally be open for ANY change in your game suggested by a coach. With that being said the coach has to know what he or she is doing.

Do you reflect in all the matches you lose? If you keep written record of how where you went wrong during games, it will help you improve every single day. Winning does nothing other than to gain a title. Don't see losses as losses, see them as learning experiences.

Strategy/Tactics are a vital part of the game. A player may have strokes or footwork but if you don't know how to use your shots to put pressure on the opponent, you won't win very worthwhile matches.

Don't play tournaments to win, play them to learn and play well. If you play well, winning will look after itself. This is the part where one may fail. The amount of work you put in will be immense. You have to keep a positive outlook because if you don't it is easy to quit. Always reflect on your matches, especially losses.

Do you do on-court drills, strategic/tactical situations, agility training, skipping, plyometrics, interval running? These all help you progress as a player but you have to be honest yourself and if you want it bad enough, nothing will stop you.

3. Exch54

Exch54 New Member

Thank you very much. I feel as if my skill has plateaued and I will continue to push harder.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1. You should play/practice with players who are better than you. If you are at the top of the club, you are not playing/practising with players who are better than you.
    2. You need to train on your strength and endurance/stamina.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1. You should play/practice with players who are better than you. If you are at the top of the club, you are not playing/practising with players who are better than you.
    2. You need to train on your strength and endurance/stamina.