Beginners and smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chewy369, May 24, 2012.

1. Chewy369

Chewy369 Regular Member

Student
    I've noticed that the first thing a lot of beginners do is always ask the intermediate/advanced players how to smash. What do you think is the reason behind this?

2. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    being a beginner myself as well, i would say that most people like to play fast and furious games especially after watching men's double competition on tv or youtube. They either want to learn how to smash so that the smash is not so flat but steeper angle or either that want to learn how to smash harder or place the smash where they want to. all this take alot of practise of the proper technique and timing of hitting the shuttle. they will do alot better if they were to put in the effort to improve their footwork first.

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

It is easier to see how a good (i.e. powerful & accurate) smash can be used to win. It is less obvious how, for example, getting a good length on lifts/clears makes you a tougher opponent.

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i have moved it to techniques/training because this thread will help beginners.
    having good smash and poor in other techniques is not the way to proper badminton games.

5. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Once you tell them that 50% of the smash comes from positioning, they'll HAVE to work on footwork :)

6. indrato

indrato Regular Member

Having a good smash definitely help, specially against strong opponent, but having a good clear / lift is also crucial. It make your opponent think twice to smash. A good lift that reach to the far back is difficult to smash. The smash will get weak or flat.

7. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Footwork?

What does that even mean?

As long as you get behind the shuttle then you're fine

After that its all about grips and shizz

8. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    But without good footwork, getting behind the shuttle is significantly harder. You'll be forced to clear if you're late and set yourself up to be killed. Footwork is very important because what's the point of having good shots if you can't even get behind the shuttle in time

9. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    LOL, Joking aside , having good footwork would help you get to the shuttle earlier ,have more time on the shot (preparation) and make the shot so much easier . In addition, getting to the shuttle earlier means that you can hold the shot for, longer , which makes it much more deceptive ...........and good footwork means quick recovery steps , and more ready for your next shot ...having good footwork is a win-win situation

10. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Footwork for smash - move your feet backwards as fast as you can to get behind the shuttle

11. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Dont trip yourself though haha

12. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

jason123... we've been over this so many times, having good footwork is important for recovery, cuz like it or not, most of the shots in a game aren't winners
    you need to be able to receive the next shot and that's why footwork is important
    (if you can't get to the next shot, then you lose the point regardless what the shot was)

each time someone asks me that, i just tell them to learn to clear and serve first
    clearing is an indicator of the level of play and probably the easiest way for a beginner to set up attacking plays
    serving is probably the easiest way to lose a point
    these two are the quickest way to improve for a beginner (the difference is also most evident)

13. Mojomike

Mojomike Regular Member

The reason why I wanted to learn how to smash better when I was a beginner was because when I partnered with a friend who was better than me and he was able to set up a half court smash, I couldn't do it. I would either hit the net, whiff, hit the frame or hit it out. This happened even when I was in the right position. I just didn't know how to do it.

I agree footwork is important but if you can't smash even when in position, it's frustrating.

This was the reason for me, not sure about others.

The answer for me was in the grip. I smash beginning with the heaviest pressure in my pinky and squeeze the rest of my fingers at impact. in fact, i do this for most shots.