Grade A/B Tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sayakeren, Aug 20, 2003.

1. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Been searching for a discussion related to this but found nothing.

Anyone knows what does Grade A and Grade B tournaments mean?

Are they of lesser importance than the stars competitions (i.e. the 7* WC, 6* China Open, etc)? If they are, then why the IBF sort them out as A and B grade tournaments instead of having the stars from *1 to *9 instead of having A, B, and *1 to *7?

My sentences might be confusing. If it is, just check the first link below and look at the drop down menu in the GRADE option, hopefully will help clarifying what I meant.

http://195.102.4.163:81/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=40

Example
    http://195.102.4.163:81/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=18

2. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    As far as I remember everything goes around the money. To reach one * the prize money must be at least USD 30.000. If it is below, than there is A grade, possibly B grade happens when prize money is under cca USD 10 000.

This happened to Polish Open. It used to be one * (USD 30k), but this year PBA didn't collect enough money to retain the status and tournament was A graded.

regards

dzgdz

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My wild guess will be, the "*" system will be qualified to count as ranking points, but A / B won't be. Therefore, separated "grade" will be easier to distiguish the difference. If we using 1-9 instead of 1-7 then A/B, ppl will be confused why the 2 lowest grade won't be able to be counted toward international ranking.

To me, A/B grade tournaments are more like noticeable regional tournaments, which are better than local / club lvl tournies, but not as "important" as the "*" ones.

4. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    A and B count for ranking points

A and B graded tournaments count toward earning points for world ranking.

Of course winning B graded tournament means less then probably advancing to the second round of WC or OG.

regards

dzgdz

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    The IBF tournaments' star rating (ie. 4* or 5*) is a direct relation to the prize money available. For example, in the past the China Open was a 5* tourney, but since the prize money was boosted, it will be a 6* this year.

A/B tournaments will also imbue ranking points but, less of course.

Also, continental championships (Asian, European, Pan-American......) are also given * grading. Asian champ - 4*, European champ - 4*, Pan-American Champ - 2* and so on.

For a full table of ranking points earned at different leveled tournaments, please refer to this page. The ranking points table is a little ways down. Also the page is in .pdf format, so adobe reader is required.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: A and B count for ranking points

Really??? My bad then...

Seems my guess was too "wild"... ;)

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Number of (world ranking) points for the winner :

7* : 600
    6* : 540
    5* : 480
    4* : 420
    3* : 360
    2* : 300
    1* : 240
    grade A : 180
    grade B : 120

runner up gets 85% of winner's points
    semi-finalist gets 70%
    quarter finalist gets 55%
    last 16 : 40%
    last 32 : 25%
    last 64 : 10%
    last 128 : 5%
    last 256 : 2%
    last 512 : 1%
    last 1024 : 0.5%

8. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Hm....so it's the different earnings points then.

But, if so, why the IBF sets two different classifications, i.e. the "*" and the "A/B" tournaments, instead of having it as *1 to *9 if actually all of them are having common characteristics of different earning points?

I wonder if LB's wild guess is rite.

Thx,
    sayakeren

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think the different naming is historical...

plus there are a few rules which are linked to the difference between GP (*) and Open (A/B) tournaments :

* can't have two GP the same week (you can have one or several A/B opens at the same time as a GP)
    * one country can't have more than one GP (BMW Open is an exception to that rule though)

... probably a few other noticable differences, I just can't think of them right now!

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

So hypotheically, a player could end up being ranked number one by playing an infinite number of tournaments even if s/he was dead-last in every single one?

(finally, my goal is within reach :))

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol...

Wondering whether ppl can get points even in "Qualificatiohn round". To me, it should be. Since even participants in such rounds, especially the winners (wild card holder) should be way better than ranked 1024 in a tourny.

12. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Thx guys for all of ur opinions. I drew some further hypothesis by combining some insights together.

(Intermezzo: Seven, are these your hypothesis or are they true according to facts? Looks very convincing ;))

It looks like that Seven's first point was right. In this link: (http://195.102.4.163:81/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=18 --> choose Sep 2003 and look at week 36), we can see that two A-graded tournaments (Canada International and NZ Internationa) are commenced in the same week with ONE star-graded tournament (Malaysia Open). It proves that several A/B tournaments can be held in the same week while GPs should be carried out in different weeks. I'd reckon that LB's point also has a point: The A/B tournaments are more of regional lvl since I went to some A/B tournaments' websites and it seemed that the participants are more likely to be regional players, i.e. in Australia International (A-grade) most of the players are from OZ or NZ.

I also agree with ur second point, but with an additional remark that these countries can only have ONE GP that represents the countries themselves, i.e. China Open, Spore Open, Indo Open, etc. But it is still possible for them to host another GPs that are not representing the countries, i.e. WC, TC/UC, AE, etc. I drew this hypothesis from looking at this link: http://195.102.4.163:81/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=40 (choose Nation = People's Republic of China); it shows that CHN held China Open 2002 (representing the country) as well as hosted the TC/UC 2002 (not representing the country --> world grand prix). Meanwhile, both China Open and TC/UC are GPs.

Hmm, anyone has any other insight regarding the different characteristics between the star-graded and the A/B-graded?

Cheers,
    sayakeren

13. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yes, qualifications should garner some smaller amount of points. But no GP is ever going to host 1024 players, unless the players want to be there for 4 weeks. The most common for MS is 64 players and the other events usually 32.
    Why not just cut out qualifications and change the events from 64 to 128 or from 32 to 64 players. That way, many other aspiring players actually get a chance and some ranking points.

14. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    found the same table in the 'Dutch national leauge year book'

only one difference : points in the table i found are a factor 10 higher...
    but ignoring this, interesting thing is that the table is a bit longer:
    grade C : 60
    grade D : 30
    grade E : 15

it could be that from 7* to grade B, international points are given and the grade C to E are for local use only (national ranking).

The following cross table could clarify LB's local tournament issue:
    the table shows some events in which points are given according to a specific grade :

7* grand prix
    6* grand prix
    5* grand prix
    4* grand prix
    3* grand prix
    2* grand prix
    1* grand prix
    A
    B Dutch National Championships, Satellite Final tournament, highest division of National and international leagues, Final National Association Cup
    C Satellite tournaments, Dutch Junior championships, One but highest leauge of National and international leagues, National Association cup
    D National leauge second division (2 below highest), National Association cup qualify
    E Natonal leauge third divsion
    F National league fourth division

Now there is a difference between A grade and A 'class' ... :
    the grade indicates the international IBF rating, the class refers to a national way to give a certain status to a tournament
    Note that a Satellite tournament, being C grade in Holland is presented locally as A tournament, which is subject to strict regulations and a certain amount of price money. Other A tournaments, which are not organized as part of the Satellite circuit, are not ranked with a grade at all, neither you get points.
    B tournaments are not graded, no points.

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Only the ten best results (within the 12 last months) count for the world ranking.

Sorry to destroy your dreams!! ;)

16. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, qualification rounds to seem to count!

If the main draw has 64 entries, a defeat in last qualification round gives points of last 128, and so on...

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I've not found any written rule for the first one (though it seems pretty logical), but here's the exact rule for the second (described here ) :

Criteria For World Ranking Events

Only two tournaments within a country [apart from tournaments held in Oceania] can be included the World Ranking within a 52-week period:

Either one International and one Open tournament, one International and one World Grand Prix tournament, two Open tournaments, or one Open and one World Grand Prix tournament. However, the IBF reserves the right to accept tournaments under specific circumstances.

Oceania are permitted 6 ‘A’ grade tournaments and 2 ‘B’ grade tournaments to be included within a 52-week period.