Club stringer needs calibrating

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by DuckFeet, May 28, 2012.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think the stringer at our club is -2lbs out and doesn't pre-stretch so could be -4lbs. Do I mention it? I'm not one for confrontation, more that "well I won't shop there again" type. I don't wan to create tension (pun not intended) at the club by accusing him of not doing it properly. My restring request at 24lbs had "tight" written on a label on it and the 'ping' when flicking the strings is nothing like that of the 22lbs on the new racquet. Both with ashaway strings (soggy microlegend and tight micropower).

I think I will keep quiet and wait for people to notice the crazy sounds my shots make compared to their dull thuds. I wonder if he is on this forum... :rolleyes:

P.S. Sorry for the spam tonight, I'm waiting on a database restore so you all must suffer.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"Can you check your calibration?" No reasonable stringer will take offence at that:).

3. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I wouldn't mind, I often ask people I have strung rackets how they play and don't mind people giving feedback of their own accord.

As long as you are polite and don't go shouting it out to the whole club that you think something is wrong. A quiet word during a quiet moment during the session would be fine.

Also it might be that the other racket you had strung at 22lbs was strung on an improperly calibrated machine and is strung too tight for 22lbs. Or even a mixture of the two, one is slightly too high, the other slightly too low! Which you won't find out unless you ask.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Very good point, cheers for replies.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    revisiting this as i got that old racket back after selling it.

it is microlegend xl at a frequency of 750 hz so around 17lbs?

i am tempted to hand same racket back and see if zm62 comes back at the right tension.

nanospeed 200 so i assume it had bg55 at 18ish lbs stock. the ml xl felt comparativeky good in the first few sessions. similar to stock micropower.

6. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

1. "The last racquet that you strung felt a little loose, are you sure it was 24lbs? Do you have a calibrator to test your machine on?"

2. "In that case can you string my next racquet at 26 please. . . . . "