How do I train myself to use the full power of stiff racquets?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DenniSinneD, May 29, 2012.

1. DenniSinneD

DenniSinneD Regular Member

Student, Store Clerk
    I have a pretty stiff racquet (AT900T). While I enjoy the speed and control I get from it, I can't seem to get much power from it.How do I train myself to unleash the full power of stiff racquets?I'm pretty much broke at the moment, so no money to purchase a new, medium stuff racquet.

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    How about your technique, is it correct?

If your technique is correct, you should be able to unleash the power of yours & your racket. the problem usually occurs on the string, in my opinion, not many recreational player know, which string job is better than the other. I have also experienced this problem with 900P, i am getting sick of it since i am not able to unleash its power, however a friend of mine recommends me trying the string job of his stringer, and yes as expected i get the feel of 900P, finally after a few years....

My suggestion to you is that try adjusting your string, tension, & stringer.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

99% of the time the problem is the technique, not the string, Licin!

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Stiff rackets need a swing that accelerates very sharply (bordering on jerkily, in fact). I'd look into some weight training exercises that focus on explosive power rather than "slow" strength. My dumbell twists, for example.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i recommend buying new over grip which is tacky. It will give u more power.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Agree whole hardedly with those who suggest to get your technique evaluated AND do forearm strenthening exercises. You can put a weight on one end of a dumbell and gently pronate-supinate. Or do the same exercise using a racket with a head cover on to increase air resistance. Just don't get over-enthusiastic and hurt yourself.

P.S. It is likely not just the stiffness that is giving you trouble, but the head-heaviness combined with the stiffness.

7. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

haha, at900t isn't the stiffest racket out there though... doesn't yonex rate it as flex stiff?

anyways, working on the explosiveness of the "wrist" will help
    it's all about how fast you can pronate and supinate

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Stiff racket need lots of hand strength and power. Do this below to solidify it.

I am testing the zforce racket and the LYD ltd racket. I have to ditch zforce. Not many have the strength to handle the stiffness. This student of mine is using 2 zforce rackets. ;)

[video=youtube;Amhw-qgeExM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amhw-qgeExM&list=PLE9E27E1CE25AFD92&index=3&feature=plp p_video[/video]

9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Well, of course technique is very important, please read my post again..

A decent technique have to be supported by decent string job as well to be able to unleash the power to the max..

#9 Licin, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would recommend trying to remain completely relaxed at all times throughout your swing. This should help you to swing "Faster" - not more powerfully or jerkily. This motion is still very controlled and very smooth, but it is extremely fast. Simply supinate in a relaxed fashion, and the pronate (hit the shuttle) as fast as you can without introducing any tension in the muscles - note there is a difference between using the muscles explosively, and becoming "tense". Tension stops the muscle moving, which is not what you want.

The faster you swing the racket, the more "suited" your technique will be to a stiffer racket. Note, you do not need to supinate (backswing) really fast, but it tends to help (tends to be automatic - not something you need to think about). Good luck!