Smashing Question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dr.Dino, May 30, 2012.

1. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

Okay so I have watched professionals smash, in videos such as:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ (awesome teaching video btw)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYQbzJEKVs4

I notice that when they contact the birdie, they always in a way rotate their rackets with their forearm motion (2 min and 16 secs for the first video). My question is how is this important, why would you do it, and how do you do it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Forearm pronation. Very important. Like throwing a pebble or a baseball. Practice it. :)

3. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

like visor said, this is very important. probably more than you would think at first glance. the turning (pronation) of the forearm increases racket head speed much more than merely moving the racket forward and is better than snapping your wrist for the power of an overhead shot. as it increases the power of your shot so greatly, it is obvious as to why it must be done. the motion you want to have is something like this: hold your arms palms facing up, then turn the arm so the palms are facing down (clockwise on left hand, counterclockwise on right). you can always ask better players within your club for advice on how to do this; i'm sure any would be willing to help.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The first video explains HOW to do it extremely well I think? You would chose to do it this way because it is currently the best known way of generating power. Every professional hits the shuttle this way when smashing, and every coach will generally teach this. Good luck to you!