For all you Fitness freaks

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tezta.com, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    try to top this guy.

[​IMG]

David Boston hears the gasps and whispers, he senses the stares and double takes. It doesn't matter if Boston is on the field or in the locker room, people can't help looking in his direction.
    Wide receivers aren't supposed to have the physique of a young Schwarzenegger and the quickness of a pickpocket. They're supposed to be big or fast, not big and fast.

David Boston, looking in a pass at camp, figures to have a size and/or speed advantage over most opposing cornerbacks. On the move, No. 89 shouldn't be hard to spot during tonight's exhibition opener at Seattle.

"He's one of those guys that might be like a Bo Jackson or Eric Dickerson, guys who came along before their time," former Chargers cornerback Alex Molden said of Boston, who has been timed in under 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash despite carrying an astonishing 245 pounds on his 6-foot-2 frame. "They're not supposed to be that big and run that fast, but they do."

Boston, who led the NFL with 1,598 yards receiving two years ago, doesn't think in terms of revolutionizing the position, but perhaps he should. And while he has the physical dimensions and skills to leave a mark on the game, that's just one of the things that makes the Texas native different, if not unique. His commitment to nutrition and diet might one day change the way some players look at maximizing their potential.

No tea party for Boston An offseason day in the life of Chargers receiver David Boston:

6:30 a.m. Wake up. Supplements (8 pills).

7 a.m. Breakfast, 3 free-range eggs, 6 egg whites, 1 tbs. non-GMO Lecithin powder, 4 oz. organic sirloin, supplements (25 pills).

9:45 a.m. Pre-workout. Shake, supplements (8 pills).

10:15 a.m. Workout 1.

11:30 a.m. Post-workout shake.

Noon-12:45 p.m. Therapy.

1-1:30 p.m. Lunch, 10 oz. orange roughy, 2 cups organic broccoli, 1/2 cup (cooked measure) organic black beans, supplements (20 pills).

3 p.m. Workout 2.

4:30 p.m. Post-workout shake, supplements (8 pills).

5-6 p.m. Therapy, treatment.

6:15 p.m. Dinner, 2 free-range grain-fed chicken breasts, 12 asparagus spears, supplements (20 pills).

9:15 p.m. 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup cottage cheese, nighttime supplements (12 pills).

11 p.m. Bedtime.

Workouts consist alternately of medicine ball exercises, ankle and foot strength exercises, 40-yard sprints with 90-second recoveries, grip training alternated with catching 50 footballs between sets, weight training.

Pushing the envelope Arguably no football player has pushed the boundaries of training and nutrition as far as Boston has. He and trainer/nutritional therapist Ian Danney rely on science as well as traditional training methods, as running back LaDainian Tomlinson learned one recent morning. Tomlinson awoke at 5 o'clock to find Boston, his roommate, getting an IV drip to replenish vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

"I was like, 'Man, you're crazy,' " Tomlinson said, chuckling. "But that's David."

Actually, that's just the beginning:

During private on-field workouts, Danney pricks one of Boston's fingers, draws blood and measures the level of lactates – byproducts that contribute to muscle soreness – on a portable analyzer so Boston doesn't exceed a specific fatigue level.

Boston takes an average of 90 dietary supplement pills a day to ensure his body has the correct balance of vitamins, minerals and nutrients; he also has his intestines flushed through hydrocolonic therapy to help his body break down and process the supplements more efficiently.

He eats only specific things at specific times, depending on his workout regimen. The goal is to keep his nutrient levels and hormones balanced to maintain his energy level and recuperative powers.

Total annual cost for nutrition and training: $200,000.

"It's very complicated," said Danney, a former member of the Canadian bobsledding team who has a degree in biochemistry from the University of Alberta. "In the NFL, there are very, very few players doing this . . . Running around the field at 245-plus pounds, playing wide receiver, that's kind of uncharted territory.

"We've got to be on top of things and know what's going on and have a good road map so we have something that we can look back on and modify things in the future. We need quantitative data. If we run a workout that consists of eight 40-yard dashes, I need to know the time of each one he runs in that workout. Everything is filed, including his lactate level."

Boston said he got into dieting seriously two years ago, then took it to another level when he joined forces with Danney, whose company, Performance Enhancement Professionals Inc., works with professional athletes in many sports.

"Sixty-five to 70 percent of everything is your diet," Boston said. "You are what you eat. Once you get your diet down perfectly sound, when you start lifting weights your gains become more and more and you recover more and more quickly.

"When I changed my diet and started eating exact things at certain times – a certain amount of protein, a certain number of calories – every time I lifted, I started gaining and gaining and gaining, and I haven't stopped yet. Ian breaks it down to a perfect science. He knows exactly what he's doing."

Boston, aware of the rumors and innuendo that have accompanied his weight gain the past five years – he played at 206 pounds as a rookie, 210 his second year, 235 his third and was in the low 240s last season – brings up the S-word without anyone asking.

"People see me walking around, in the locker room and elsewhere, and they wonder," Boston said. "Obviously, there are questions raised, 'Does he take steroids? Does he do this? Does he do that?'

"I have to hear this from a lot of people. But there are things that I do lifting weights and through my diet that make me the player I am"

2. teddy

teddy Regular Member

... That seems too large for efficient moving around the court

3. Marcel

Marcel Regular Member

Technologist
  4. fan

fan Regular Member

Man, he looks a totally different player when he played at Ohio State 4 -5 years ago. No defensive back will like to tackle or guard him.

A guy like him can probably kill a lion. But better do it in 30 seconds, or……

Can’t wait to see him play Oakland though.

5. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Yes but his dedication to his training schedule and diet is amazing..

Can you imagine if players like chen hong, taufik, peter gade all followed a routine similar to Bostons with a large number of suplements, a correct diet, and weight lifting sessions designed specifically for badminton?? they would be virtually unstoppable.

6. fan

fan Regular Member

It is hard to think that it will work.

Like the article said, the knee will not be able to support such heavy weight let alone the continuos and agile movement badminton players have to do in a rather longer period of time.

IMO, the training and diet for a football player are targeted at explosiveness and power. For that, the player has to gain quite a bit of weight. Gaining excessive amount of weight, in general, is not good for badminton players.

Weight and endurance are incompatible. Not to take the athletic ability away from the football players, football players have little endurance compare to badminton players. It is hard for them to do the badminton footwork drill for 3 minutes. They are very explosive, but they last only 30 seconds.

David Boston can crush a brick wall in 1 second, I doubt he can chase a bird in 1 minute. As a wild receiver, he also is very fast. But he can run out of steam in 10 seconds.

Imaging a 250-pound, muscular Peter Gade or Xia lunging for a net shot, his muscle probably is too stiff that he won’t be able to do all the trick shots. Even he did, he may not be able to stop himself from running into the net and eventually running into his opponent. Wow, but what an idea, badminton and football are all in one. LOL:D

I guess it is difficult to develop NFL lookalike training tailored for badminton. But David’s dedication to his training schedule and diet is indeed amazing, especially for a guy had been tested positive for cocaine and marijuana after a DUI arrest.

Gosh, tough training, strict diet but cocaine, marijuana and DUI, what a mess up combination. I hope David does play well against his college rival whom now is one of the best NFL corner backs, Charles Woodson. David B was one of my favorite players back when he was playing in college. I still remember how he got trashed by Charles W in the last game of Big Ten tournament when Michigan played Ohio State. David never got a chance for the payback time. After the game, CW won the Heisman trophy and was drafted by NFL.

But now, hehe, the rivalry continues. It is good for the sport of football.

Who do you think is the greatest rival in badminton now, if any? It is hard to think of one pair. Because badminton players don’t do the trash talking. Can you imagine Bao trash talk to Taufik? I think the stadium will be filled up the next time they face each other.

But again, what are the good lines for trash talking in badminton? “ you ain’t got no game!” That doesn’t sound right. LOL.:D

After all, I can’t think of one thing that football and badminton in common. :)

7. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    You don't tackle someone in badminton so no need to pump up those muscles and be big. That's why you don't see em huge pumped up badminton pro's...

8. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    Is there any mention of his speed actually increasing as his muscle mass does, or is he just piling it on because he's preoccupied with the "Power = Force x Speed" thing while his speed stays the same?

I believe that there is no point at which flexibility, agility and speed can start to fail as muscle mass continues to compound, as long as the muscle is kept USEFUL by taking care of it as he has done.

You will notice that a lot of his training involves sprinting, which trains the useful sprinting muscles. The question of whether speed always increases with muscle mass is mechanical. If there is nothing about the body which inhibits the natural, free sprinting movement, and every muscle tissue is useful, speed will undoubtedly increase with muscle mass.

I don't know if this is what he is thinking, but whatever he's doing seems to be working!

9. frictionman

Lawyer
    The more mass the greater gravity pulls you down and also the more mass the more energy consumed. bigger masses tends to explode, to spring into enourmous amount of force and energy but only for a short while. that's why you don't see bulky muscle guys participate in tracks or in a marathon. Big Guys can summon great energy but only for a short short time...

Big guys can sprint but for how long?
    in the case of badminton i don't think he can sprint and reverse it in the opposite direction as fast as a normal pro player could. The momentum is just too great.

And most of the time body builders have skinny legs compared to their upper.

#9 frictionman, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

also don't forget this one important thing...

the number of motor neurons in your brain is fixed. That means everytime you double your maximum strength, you'll also half your movement sensitivity. This is because your muscle strength range is doubled, so the number of neurons dedicated to any particular power-point is halved.

A person as strong as he will have a much harder time controlling delicate movement compared to someone weaker (with equal 'hand-eye' coordination of course.)

11. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

wat a pity...

i'm trying very hard to get fit, well i guess its due to wrong supplements.
    this is because i 'swallow' everything i can from the fridge, such as junk food, sodas, etc.. all those junk that does not build ur body.

well, u guys can recommend me wat shall i eat to gain a 'Masculine' body?
    i don wanna take vitamins..vitamins..vitamins.

can u recommend any type of food for a regular schedule?
    plus, my workout sessions are only 3 hours of badminton every day. i did not go to gym.

12. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

supplements aren't needed for people who can eat enough...
    and junk food isn't bad per se... it's the amount that's trouble some.
    Generally, if you must eat junk food, i would:

- eat oily/fatty foods between meals (i.e. burgers)
    - eat non-oily sugary/starchy food (i.e. cookies) right after a workout, followed by eating high-protein/low fat foods right after that

13. frictionman

Lawyer
    I think you could find everything you need to know in the net, try some reaserch about proper nutrition and etc...

14. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    That's really interesting BRL ...:). Do you teach Biology or something? ;)

Perhaps this guy just has a shed load of motor neurones...or is it the same for everyone?