ong ewe hock

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by chin_stanley, Aug 21, 2003.

1. chin_stanley

chin_stanley Regular Member

After watching the match between ong and xia. I really think ong played very well, despite losing in the end though.

Throughout the whole match it was as if ong could take any smash from xia and there were many times it seemed that ong was in control of the game, making xia running all over the court.

One thing i must commend is that ong is no longer in the national team,nonethless the fact he can put up such a good fight is a remarkable feat. Cheers for ong!

Anyway it's a pity he just don't have the winning touch and i'm sure it would be a devastating blow to learn that xia actually gave up the next match, if ong were to win in the first place, he'll probably have a high chance of getting into the semis.

Poor ong ewe hock...as i've seen, he was sitting alone(though hafiz and another MAS player did come up to him for a while to congratulate him of his fine play after the match) watching peter gade and jonassen played...a lonely figure

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree that Ong had a nice game, through various sources of info.

However, isn't Xia "running all over the court" very typical for his style? I can't remember any Xia's game (of course, against nameable ones) are smooth. All of them are figured with Xia running all over the court, diving, jumping, leaping, even rolling on the court, but still managed to win at the end.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    surprised XX won. I thot he was limping with a hurt ankle.

4. chin_stanley

chin_stanley Regular Member

yup it's true that xia's game is characterised by 'running all over the court' but it's quite surprising that ong was in control more than xia. Given the current world status of xia, one would normally think xia is the outright winner i supposed...

Anyway, it was only towards the later part of the game that xia was injured and i think, unfortunately for ong, he somehow ran out of steam...Anyway it's remarkable that xia managed to struggled with his pain to win the last few points..

5. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I agree with the comment that some of the former national players of M'sia seems to be lonely figures at tournaments. There are 3 groups of M'sian players in this and other regional tournamets -1) BAM 2) OEH's Kia group and 3) independents.

Group (1) need no intro s they are under Misbun's control with all the financial support etc. The 2nd & 3rd groups normally do not have a coach to help them in matches (except major rounds). In between matches, no coach or anyone advises them; they just walk off to contemplate their own games. At the end, if they lose, no one to console. I watched the excellent 3 setters bet former M'sia no. 1 Yong Hock Kin (independent) and A Boesens. It was a great game. After Yong lost, he walked off from the court looking really lonely and, I fell some sadness.

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well Sairul and Ismail Saman should have been ard to console Ong.

Maybe many players look towards playing badminton as an unpleasant

task to get over quickly so that more time can be devoted to dating,

or other pursuits.

7. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    way to go ONG! I think BAM will finally open their eyes.

U want mental toughness? U go and see Ong play. The more hostile the crowd is against him, the harder he will play.

I hope he will go further in Indo and M'sia open.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree that Yong Hock Kin and Ong Ewe Hock both played very well and were unfortunate to lose the matches in 3 games.

It somehow goes to prove that when one is without generous and ready support, one has to fend for himself and this has the tendency to bring the best out of oneself. These players will have to justify to their sponsors and well wishers who have faith in them to do well.

I think, to a certain extent, both these two Malaysian players contributed to their opponents' subsequent downfall as Anders Boesen. who almost lost to Hock Kin, conceded the match to Lin Dan due to back injury and Xia was fully extended by Ong, which resulted in Xia suffering a calf injury and gave a walk-over to a delighted Wiempie of Indonesia, who barely beat S'pore's young player, Hendra Wijaya, in 3 games in the Qualifying Round.

Unfortunately for both Yong and Ong, they have passed their prime, and there is little hope of their representing Malaysia in the Olympics at Athens next year. Maybe they can once again prove themselves as top-notched coaches and bring up youngsters to don Malaysian colours and win international honours.

Good Luck to them!

#8 Loh, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003