NEWS : Choong Hann, Tsuen Seng run into great wall

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by kwun, Aug 21, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Utusan Online

Choong Hann, Tsuen Seng run into great wall

SINGAPORE Aug 21 - Malaysia's challenge in men's singles came to an end when Wong Choong Hann and Lee Tsuen Seng were convincingly beaten by two players from China at the Singapore Open badminton tournament here Thursday.

In third round clashes, world championship silver medallist Choong Hann was beaten by Bao Chunlai 15-2, 15-8 while Tsuen Seng lost to Chen Yu 15-13, 15-4.

Chunlai used his sharp smashes to good effect to surge to a 5-1 lead in the opening game.

After allowing Choong Hann to collect another point, the Chinese player romped home a 15-2 winner.

Choong Hann tried to make a comeback in the second game, but was still outclassed, particularly at net play.

When met later, Choong Hann said he lacked stamina because he had not trained enough after returning from the world meet in Birmingham two weeks ago.

"I had targeted to reach at least the semifinals here," he said.

"I am disappointed with my performance. I will continue to train hard to regain my form. I will have to do more workouts in the gymnasium to improve my strength," he said.

However, Choong Hann said the defeat would not affect his confidence for the Indonesian Open next week.

Tsuen Seng matched Chen Yu in the first game but the Malaysian was a washout in the second, losing tamely at 4-15.

Tsuen Seng had beaten Chen Yu twice before, at the Dutch Open in 2001 and Korean Open in 2002, when the game was played under the 7x5 points format.

Malaysia's interest in the US$170,000 tournament now lies only in the men's doubles where seasoned campaigners Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah have qualified for the quarterfinals.

In the second round Thursday, they beat Denmark's Michael Lamp and Mathias Boe 15-12, 15-7 to set up a clash with Indonesians Eng Hian and Flandi Limpele.

The women's pair of Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui were bundled out of the second round Thursday by the Netherlands' Mia Audina Jiptawan and Lotte Bruil 15-10, 15-8.

MEANWHILE, world champion Xia Xuanze pulled out of a third round clash with Indonesian youngster Mahardi Wimpie Thursday complaining of a strained calf muscle.

The injury was likely the result of late matches on the opening day of the tournament Wednesday when Xia had to fight through three games against Malaysian veteran Ong Ewe Hock in a match that started well after midnight.

The long wait to get on court and the late night workout seemed to have taken their toll as the newly crowned world champion allowed Wimpie free passage into the quarter finals.

Another victim of the late second round games on Wednesday was Denmark's number seven seed Anders Boesen, who pulled a back muscle and conceded the match to Lin Dan of China.

The unseeded Chinese was leading 12-1 in the first game when the Dane decided to throw in the towel after a long chat with his coach and team manager.

But top seed and defending champion Chen Hong of China did not show any ill effects of his late night court stint, brushing aside the challenge of Yohan Hadikusuma Wiratama of Hong Kong.

Chen won 15-10, 15-7 with ease, once again allowing his opponent several free points with some audacious stroke-play.

But the top seed was never in trouble and was happy to experiment, probably getting ready for his quarter clash with Singapore Ronald Susilo.

The local hero, seeded sixth, was made to work hard by Korean 10th seed Shon Seung Mo before winning 15-8, 11-15, 15-5.

Susilo had lost to Chen Hong in last year's final in a contest that proved hopelessly one-sided and the player is determined to make amends this time round.

``I was outplayed in the last year's final. Then I was mentally beaten but this time I feel I am better prepared for the challenge.

``There is absolutely no pressure on me. He is world number one so I have nothing to lose,'' said a determined Susilo after his third round game.

Former world number Peter Gade Christiansen of Denmark continued his fine comeback and did not allow compatriot Peter Rasmussen to settle down in their third clash.

Christiansen was facing a fellow Dane for the second time and beat the 1997 world champion 15-8, 15-5.

The women's second games were according to billing with all the top eight players making it through to the quarter finals without much trouble and all matches finishing in straight games. - Bernama, AFP