Point in getting better

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Jun 2, 2012.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Hello,
    I'm 21 now and I used to play in high school and got 3rd place in Doubles in CCS. Now I want to get back into badminton; but there isn't a team or any training for me.
    I am too old now and the programs I want to join is something like elite teams but they train 3+ times a week; and I can't do that and the group age 10-17. Most I can do is train twice a week and one more to play with friends. Also most of my friends I used to play with aren't around me anymore, so I don't have a group. And the college I go to has no badminton team. I also don't want to join an adult class as it is only once a week and its hard to be friends with them. It is not a team.

Originally, I just wanted to get better for fun, but now I think about it what is the point? I want to get trophies and everything, but since I am getting older and older it is not possible for me as the competitive level is too high. And just getting better would be just throwing my money down the drain.
    I mean what is your personal opinion on this?

Thanks!

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You sound ambivalent in your words. You say "what's the point?"-- but between the lines your desire to improve is clearly there. At 21 yo you have lots of potential (don't worry you haven't peaked yet :rolleyes:).

Instead of worrying about the best place to play, just start playing somewhere --anywhere. Youth club, adult club, local tournaments, etc. You'll find your peers and find more opportunities as you get to know more people.

Be brave and strike out now and make your mark in these prime years of health! :)
    (take it from one who frittered away a lot of golden youth working too hard)

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    To improve in badminton, you need to have:

1. good coaches (to tell you what you are doing wrong, and what you should do instead). Both one-to-one coaching as well as one-to-many drills/practice are needed.

2. video lessons to learn the basics:
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=19996
    http://www.coachingbadminton.com/clips
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBDE1E42B3A9BC37&feature=plcp

3. good players to practice with. (Good players will also be good coaches. They will tell u what u are doing wrong and what u should do instead.) You need to play with players who are better than you.

4. good training on strength, endurance/stamina and fitness.

5. local tournaments to participate in. (These are like exams; without exams, you will never improve.)

6. international tournaments to watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/bwf
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/113-Badminton-Tournament-Video-Sharing
    http://badmintonlink.com/

7. a camera to video record your own play

8. good books on badminton and sports generally

#3 pcll99, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You sound like you really want to play and improve - is this not enough? If you put in the hard work off court (the physical training) and get a good coach that will take you to tournaments, there is no reason you can't catch up with the youngsters and play tournaments off your own bat. You are unlikely to make a career out of playing, but most people who play badminton do so because... they like playing badminton!

If you want to win trophies, tell that to your coach, and see what you can do to get yourself in professional shape to play badminton within 6 months (definitely possible), and then go about working hard on court twice a week (as you wanted) to improve your skills with a good physical foundation.

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    My situation is the same, but instead of 21, I restarted at 30. And instead of feeling down on myself, I was motivated to try even harder.
    Lets just say it's paid off. Sure, I'll probably never win a provincial (state?) or national championship, but smaller tournaments have trophies as well.

In either case, I think at your old age of 21, you're over the hill and should quit while you're ahead (or behind).:rolleyes:

6. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thanks guys; but as I said before where would I find good players to practice with? And I would love to join a team/club but I am not sure where. My college doesn't offer it and my local clubs only accept high school or under.
    Has anyone found soemthing like an elite team or club to train with?

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/82-USA-West

8. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here's a little story. When I was 21 and still at University, I travelled to Toronto and Vancouver for the first and only times in my life. It's quite interesting that even then, I would bring a badminton racquet and badminton shoes in my luggage in the hope of finding a game.

Those days, the internet didn't exist and I knew of no one and no place to play. BTW, I'm not Canadian.

I looked up the Ontario badminton association phone number and through them, found places to play. As I visited places, I got talking to more and more people. It was rather fun to meet Canadians whose families came from Cambodia, HK ,China, Vietnam etc. Through talking and being friendly, further invitations to other places became possible. Some of these places I would travel over an hour to reach.

To be honest, the point of the story is that you have to go looking for the places and people. With the internet, it should be easier than in the pre-internet days. But places to play and train are not necessarily on your doorstep: either you travel, or you form a group yourself with like minded persons. i.e. you need to have your own initiative in less than ideal situations.

Also, at 21 years old, you are not a kid anymore looking for programs that cater for your 'age group'. If you do find one, then it's a bonus. It's time to arrange things yourself around your present life circumstances. My working life is pretty busy - I used to work 80+ hours a week, study and go play badminton so it can be done.

Hey, there are plenty of other people who can train harder than me, play more than me, win more competitions than me......but that doesn't stop me from trying and having a good time in the process...;)

#9 Cheung, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    start a thread there. tell everyone which city/county you are in.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The point I was trying to make is that you don't need to find a club/team or good players to practice with. You won't get into an elite team until you start putting in the hard work first. The first thing to do is FIND A COACH. They will know other coaches. They will know other players. They will know of some clubs in your area. I think expecting to find a team to play in is unrealistic until you have STARTED training with an experienced coach.

I realise I am harping on about a coach a lot, but if you are really serious self teaching just won't get you as far, as fast, as a good coach would! I sincerely hope you find a club/team to play in, but why don't you start by getting into shape and increasing your skill level through regular one on one coaching. Then you can see what else comes along!

You can see from what other people have said that it can be done! But I wonder how many people have ever won any tournaments at national level without having ever had any coaching?

Sorry to rant at you! Genuinely hope you make the right choice for you. But don't wait for it. Find a coach and get started!

12. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Why would you be sorry? this person expects to play with elites from the get go.
    The reason why most people aren't aware of where the elites train is because it's information people don't want to share. If someone from a advanced level club sees you playing at their level, you'll naturally get invited. This way, the elite club can continue having great games without having to babysit/teach n00bs.

13. Mario C socal

Mario C socal Regular Member

The point is that you love to play badminton. I know plenty of people that get professional coaching starting in their 40's! They're not hoping to become a national champion or anything, just to improve their game, because they love to play. There are plenty of tournaments to play in and at all different levels. You can get trophies and medals and money, even at lower levels of play. It's never too late!

14. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Aw thanks, you are so sweet :). Made me feel better; but what do you conversation with the other players? I'm not really great with starting convo's with people I don't know; any topics to start a topic or suggestions?

And also I think people misunderstood me when I used the term "elite team." Elite team in my area is basically a group training area. They have elite teams meeting from twice a week - 6 times a week. And they separate by levels and age group. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to be "elite." I meant I want to join an elite team; where they would train twice a week at least. But the problem here is they won't accept me, since I am too old. And they won't let me train with the high schoolers whom are on the elite team (which I'm fine with) because they hand pick them out from the class before them; and you have to be with them for a season. And the class before them are all around 10-12 years old.... Doesn't mean people are "elite" just the term for training.

Also a point to make across is I do have experience to play and most likely differentiate with myself to find right/wrong and I try to do technique correctly and constantly improve. I am just trying to find a coach and a place + group I can train with twice a week.

Thanks for all your comments!

#14 CkcJsm, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  15. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    based on the ccs results, and to my knowledge I'm going to guess you're from indy. BBC 3 or milpitas does adult classes on thursday nights.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What's wrong with trying to form your own group?

Usually when I meet new people, I say "Hi, I'm.... How do you do...":roll eyes:

I'm not here to teach you life skills or anything like that. But I do think you are going to have to think outside the box and do things yourself rather than have everything planned out on a plate for you.

And you still want to join the "elite" team even though that doesn't fall within your particular circumstances - sorry to say, it's time to move on.

17. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Oh I'm going to try forming a group this weekend :D; due to your encouragement.
    Just afraid of awkwardness. I think I will just go randomly with birdies and rackets and ask random people to hit with me. Idk if it'll work but I guess I'll try.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just go out and get to know more badminton people first. Forming a group will come more naturally if you know people better. Good luck!