ProKennex Boron 808 - recommended tension??

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DavidJL, Jun 2, 2012.

1. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

Looking for some assistance...

I've been given a ProKennex Boron 808 to be restrung and the request is for 28lbs tension. There is no recommended tension range on the racquet or on the ProKennex website.

Does anyone know where I might find the correct tension tange for this racquet or, if you have strung one yourself or play with one, what tension are you at?

It's a fairly old racquet and I'm worried that 28lbs will be a little too much for it to take.

There are a few other brands that seem reluctant to post their tensions - maybe we should pull together a list to help fellow stringers. I had a similar problem with a Li-ning Rocks the other day, no tensions to be found anywhere.

Cheers

David

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Your racket is at least a few decade old and going for more than 20lb is as good as breaking the racket yourself. And you save the cost on the string! :D. Instead you should just string 20lb and preserve it! It may be valuable one day :D

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is an old racquet dating back to the mid 80's (around '86-87). I think it is the slightly flimsier of the two boron racquets that ProKennex used to produce (the other one was Boron 858) during that time

Those days, the recommended tension of the racquets used to be 18-22lbs across most racquets. However, that time, probably the stringing machines were not so advanced as now. Some people then also used to string by hand :)

20lbs is a good suggestion. I remember stringing Prokennex 787 (graphite) at 25lbs with BG65. It could take it because BG65 used to stretch a lot. Using another string with less elasticity at 25lbs caused the frame to cave in. As these were my own racquets, it wasn't a big deal.;)

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Cheung, those were the days :) it was selling like hot cakes when ProKennex introduce the boron material. Even Carlton came up with Carlton Boron used by Morten Frost. Can still remember these racket has strings chipped into the frame alot and breakages were quite high. I think I broke 6 or 7 or them :p

5. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

What Rocks model was it? If it's N series Rocks (N33 or N30) then the maximum recommended is most likely 28. If it's a non-N series, then 24 is most likely going to be the maximum.

6. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

It was the N series so I was able to go 26lbs on it. As for the Pro I played safe and came down a notch or two! Cheers all for the info...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, that carlton boron. It wasn't a good racquet. I once saw a 12 year old girl break the shaft just above the cone from purely hitting the shuttle.