Which Ankle Support?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Rykard, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Hi,
    I have strained the ligaments in my ankle. Reading a few posts the Aircast ankle supports have been recommended.
    I have seen 2 though the A60 Ankle brace and the Airsupport Ankle brace. Does anyone know the difference between the 2 and which would be better for playing in.
    And does anyone know a store in the midlands,uk that stocks them?

cheers
    Rich

2. Mario C socal

Mario C socal Regular Member

I'd be curious to know if those Aircast supports are noticeable, while playing - like if they feel stiff on the sides and restrict your movement. I use a Mueller lace up support and they're great, because I don't even notice I'm wearing them and don't feel restricted at all. I feel my movement is still at 100% with them. The only problem is durability. I tear through the bottoms, after a couple of months, and they need to be replaced. Mueller used to make them much more durable, out of a much thicker canvas, and they would last 10x longer than the ones they make now.

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

This is my 4th year of using A60 and after experimenting all ankle brace there are in the market that can be use playing badminton, IMHO NONE can beat A60 from the point of:

- Weight
    - Prevention against inversion and eversion sprain
    - Comfort

No doubt when i first try it, it was very odd to have something attached to your ankle other than your socks while wearing your shoes but as i've used it regularly ( playing 5 times/week @ 3 - 8 hr ), i can tell you that i've treated it similarly like my other badminton equipments in which without any of it e.g racket, shoes etc, i'm not wearing a complete set of badminton attire.

What is most importantly after using it after this many years, it has boost my self confidence and moral as there is something that i'm wearing at my right ankle that i can depend confidently to increase my chances of preventing a recurrent ankle sprain. In other words i felt more secure wearing it more than not wearing it.

I'm not an A60 sales agent but what i can assure you that my performance of play be it in training or participating at high level tournaments until now has not deteriorate while using it and as it brings more good to me, i think it would also bring good to anyone who has history of ankle sprain that wants that highest level of ankle protection at the same time the comfort of wear while using it.

The only down side that I've noticed is its durability. At my frequency of play, a single A60 used at my right ankle will only last anywhere from 1.5 - 2 years before its velcro become useless.

SS

4. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

would you suggest wearing one on each ankle or just the damaged one?

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi Rykard,

You can wear it at both ankle. I'm stating this because Research done in sports injury indicated that the benefit of wearing an ankle brace has both significant important role as a prophylaxis for the occurrence of an ankle injury and also the prevention of the recurrence of an ankle injury. Therefore, an ankle brace can be beneficially used both as an ankle protection for an athlete that has no history of ankle injury but fears the risk of getting one and also as an ankle protection against a recurrence of an ankle injury.

Below are the scientific studies for your refereces in regards the above issue:

1. The Role of Ankle Bracing for Prevention of Ankle Sprain Injuries - Publication from the
    Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy

A studies done in 2003 by Dr Michael T. Gross and Hsiu Yi Liu and an official publication of the Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy Sections of the American Physical Theraphy Association. (Attachment of document is below).

2. The Textbook of Sports Medicine - 2002 by Michael Kjaer

A comprehensive coverage of both basic science and clinical aspects of sports injury and physical activity from the World's leading authorities within exercise physiology, clinical internal medicine, sports medicine and traumatology.

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=...ed=0CD4Q6AEwBw

SS

6. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

well, I ordered a pair of aircast a60s. After a slight issue with delivery they arrived. Tried them on at home and the felt very strange. Played in them for the first time last night. felt a bit robocop like but for the first time in 18 months I finished playing with no ankle pain, and woke up this morning with none either. 10/10 - thanks for the advice guys.:D

7. shutterhitter83

shutterhitter83 Regular Member

anyone knows where i can pickup the AirCast A60 here in Singapore?

8. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i was told that if it doesn't hurt on a particular day, you shouldn't wear it. Is it true?

10. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I wear supports to prevent strains and sprains but had been wearing soft ones which didn't do the job. I will be working ankle strength and flexibility when off court but will wear them to play. Andy Murray (GB Tennis player) always seems to be wearing them ...

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hello Rich.My physio said that if you can avoid wearing supports then do so. The problem is the area you are supporting gets used to them and never fully recovers. Ligaments will be weaker etc. Also in recovery ligaments need to be stretched to realign fibres and wearing a support will stop this. If you can don't wear one unless you have no other choice.

12. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

fair point, mine said it was ok to play in but to do the exercises off court. Like I said it was like 1 step forward 2 back until wearing these..

13. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    hi guys, managed to get de distributor in singaporeMEDIQUEST PTE LTD16 JALAN KILANG #04-05HOI HUP BUILDINGSINGAPORE 159416TEL: 65-6837 3387 ***FAX: 65-6837 0824email: admin@mediquest.com.sgIt costs sgd 94 incl gsthope this helps...

14. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    Nict_26, did you get the A60 in the end? I went down to Mediquest about 6 months ago after i recovered from a sprained ankle, tried both the A60 and the other version. but somehow i did not like it. 6 months on, I am doing fine. but i did take a month off playing badminton after the sprained ankle.

15. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    ya, i did bought de a60, felt rather stiff but it does helps in restricting movements.but i din stop of 1 mth, i started after 1 wk playing on macdavid 195, tis is oso nt bad.cannot help it..haha..i haf oni reduced de frequency of playing frm 9hrs wkly to 2 hrs thou..i will b trying wif a60 nex week. cheers!

16. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    update...i haf sprained my ankle 3 weeks back, gotten de a60.used it today for a solid 3hrs session.initial stage, itz stiff but gradually you will fill more confident in getting ur smash etc.my physio was telling me nt to wear during normal walking, daily routine etc so dat muscles can b strengthen, but oso advises me to use it during badminton session.he said a person recovering frm sprain is 6 times more prone to recurring injury if nt handled properly.bottomline, a60 is worth every cent.cheers :)hope this helps

17. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    thanks for the update. I just will play to my abilities, but some shots that is way too far and fast, i will not really go for it. afterall i am only playing for leisure, I will not risk injuring my ankle again. still have to take care of my kid. I went to two chinese sinseh to fix my sprain back then. After a couple of sessions by the second sinseh,i would say it recovered abt 70 to 80% within 2 to 3 days. Glad a60 is good for you. I also make sure my badminton shoe is tied snuggly rather than too loose.

18. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Hi, anyone knows where else can I get the Aircast A60 from in Singapore? Tried to email mediquest but can’t get through to them...

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I got mine from Amazon.

20. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Thanks I just got mine too...for my left foot as I just injured myself 2 days ago... was thinking if I should get both side or just stick to the injured side..