How do YOU grip your S2 (Li-Ning) / G2 (Victor) grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Accordaz, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Unfortunately almost all of my rackets are S2 / G2. Small grip means moving the racket super fast, but it doesn't help if you're not comfortable with its small size. Especially you may tend to use more wrist than arm swing.

Now, I've found out my optimal gripstyle -> I use 0.40mm Overgrip by Wilson and put another 0.60mm Overgrip on it.
    Both overgrips have a overlap factor of 50%.

What are your techniques to make a S2/G2-grip to a comfortable grip?
    I have the bad feeling that two overgrips maybe absorb too much vibration feedback...:confused:

Does someone use 0.70mm or 0.75mm (e.g. RKEP's G08 SOFT75) overgrips? If yes, how much do you overlap the overgrip?
    I've tried 0.80mm from Pacific. It was way toooooo thick when I also overlapped to 50% :eek:
    I've cut it and overlapped it to ~ 35%, but it's not comfortable, because I prefer seamless 50% overlap OR a not worth mentionable 5 - 10% overlap, which also gives you an almost "flat" overgrip feeling;)

2. teiring

teiring Regular Member

Student
    I'm using on my Li-Ning N90 basically two layers of Yonex AC102 ( 2 x 0.6mm ), where I'm puting a layer of in the middle cut ( width ) Karakal PU Super Grip at the end of the handle in between to make it while stroking more stable. While I'm using for the gripping itself the LCW gripping technique as they call it here in the forum. Overlap is also approx. 50%, I only cut them before in the right length, because I'm using the LCW gripping technique, and I don't like when the cone is gripped too much. All depends for sure also on your hand size.

I basically mostly don't like the original grips, since they're very soft. Although one layer of AC102 would be too hard.

#2 teiring, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I also cut off, because it's ugly to overgrip the cone towards to the shaft.
    But that means you remove the original grip and put 2 x 0.60mm overgrip on it?
    Is it thick enough without any basic / replacement grip(s)?

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I use Karakal Nano on my sw35 on. I have taken off any old grips and put it straight onto the bare wood of the handle. It is very thin but im getting used to it and my wrist power has increased.

5. teiring

teiring Regular Member

Student
    Depends on your hand size! ;) For me it's totally enough, otherwise it's getting too soft. In general I like it thin even though I probably would need at least G3 with 2 layers of the grip.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I find S2/G2/G5 too big :eek:

Need to use an extrememly thin towel grip on it, but still to large I think.

7. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I too find Yonex G5 too big. I wrap a Yonex AC402DX thin towel grip directly on the bare wood. :)

8. Swiftlegend

Swiftlegend Regular Member

Student
    I use G08 soft75s and they are good in my opinion. They absorb sweat well and remain quite dry with small tackiness. I don't place it on bare wood. For example on my N55 (G2) I have a layer of electrical tape followed by an elite grip - no overlap - just to build up and then another grap that has lost its tackiness and is worn out to build up further with no overlap then I use the soft75 with around 30-505% overlap. This gives me a slightly ribbed grip and its nice and cushiony. I find that if you use soft75 on wood you can't feel the cushion very much. I've just griped another racket (yonex G3) straight onto wood and electrical tape with a Yonex Hi Soft AC420. I think these grips are overlooked and may be perfect for a G2 as a sole replacement grip. They offer a lot of sponge but don't feel too big I think may become my go to grip replacing the AC102.

9. anek1

anek1 Regular Member

Service Manager
    I currently using N90II ( S2 ) and putting Li-Ning grip GP60
    which i can say comfort wise it's good but for response wise it's a bit slow...
    due to thick grip...

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one layer of RKEP G09 seems to be perfect for me.

on both my N90II w/ S2, and all my Victors with G2.

11. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I currently have my S2 N90-II and G2 Lethal 70 with 1 layer half-overlap Li-Ning GP101 grip, however on the rest of my G2 rackets and once the GP101 wears out, I use 1 layer RKEP G09's as well.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just want to point out that how thick your grip is mainly determined by the size of your hand (palm and finger size), and your style of play.

both of which are dependent on *YOU* and not us. ;)

13. BlueTornado

I have a teammate who puts three Super Grap on top of the original grip. Probably adds up to a Yonex G2 / decent tennis racket-sized grip. Seems weird, but he likes it. All comes down to personal preference.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Three of my club's players have two Karakal SPU on top of a factory-gripped Yonex G3.

Imagine holding a baseball bat. By the thick end.

15. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Yeah, for sure. But my thread isn't a thread like "which grip technique is the best?". It's rather "show me your grip technique". Just to know and share how we grip our grips ;)

Sharing is caring, right? :)

Back to topic: I've tried a 50% overlap with 0.70mm overgrips. It feels thicker than 0.40mm + 0.60mm (with same 50% overlap)

Do you grip your grip rather tight than loose?
    The tighter the thinner, is this theory correct?

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes, tighter will be thinner, but tighter means you will lose some of the grip's tack and texture.

17. BlueTornado

Do they have particularly large hands that need it like that, or do they just like it? I have fairly big hands too but that would be way too much for me.. :eek:

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

No; we're talking about skinny teens here. They must use a lot of "arm" in their swing, that's the only conclusion I can draw.

19. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Most Europeans don't have much flexibility in their wrists. So they resort to generating the same power via using more "arm" in their swing actions. This naturally means they would need to grab the handle more tightly thus the larger grip.

The extra arm action in the swings also benefits from very tight tensions (since the European arm muscle is relatively larger than the Asians') and the repulsion obtainable from the tightness.

20. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Haha thats quite a generalization there :) but i kinda see the point, I'd say in most UK clubs there is at least a couple of players with those thick arm swing grips of 2 PU grips or so. Id say its pretty rare to see players with very good techniques having very thick grips though with most preferring a single PU grip or a couple of overgrips. (You do see flexible players in europe try playing in denmark lol:D)

I tend to put a singles PU onto the wood then re grip a 0.5 or 0.6mm overgrip on top which is what i replace every so often, with a s2 racket maybe another overgrip might be in order?:)