Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lifting heavy is when you max out only on 1-2 reps
    it's often very close to 100% of your maximum strength
    the time it takes to complete the lift doesn't matter

powerlifting is usually a much lower percentage of your maximum strength
    around 5 reps
    try to complete the lift as quickly as possible

if you can gain the same potential without having to lift weights there is no benefit
    it's all about power:weight ratio

recovery time is extremely important when you're doing weight training (ie gym time) and sports-specific training (ie court time)
    schedule yourself light and heavy days for court time
    on the light days get in gym time after (ie short court session in the morning, gym at night)

but yea, an actual program needs to be customized to the athlete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we have further discussions regarding weights and badminton?

I tried lifting weights last year. I did dead lifts, shoulder lifts and forearm twists. If affects my swing speed a lot. Smashes were slower and it felt harder to pronate as muscles were bigger. It is different from a friend of mine who is doing forearm twists. His smashes are hard. I have doubts whether weights were benefitting him because he already has hard smashes before starting weights.

I added squats afterwards. That did not help. I became slower. Dead lifts were only exercise i found beneficial. However i stopped since my thighs were getting wider.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should not leave out genetics here. Some people are just naturally more powerful even than those who are bigger in size.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton is a game involving the most important part of your body which is your brain. To play better badminton, one has to train his or her organ above the shoulders. Therefore too much weight training will not do any good to your game, it will destroy your natural rhythm unless you can do the same amount of weight training with your brain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you also need to make sure you train your core - the bit between your shoulders and knees

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rykard View Post
    you also need to make sure you train your core - the bit between your shoulders and knees
    You mean the heart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    You mean the heart?
    you have a big heart

a lot of people 'forget' to train their core, they do legs and chest and arms and shoulders but don't do the thing that connects them all.

you should also analyse where your slowness is, if you are actually slow, and train accordingly - slow heavy squats may need to give way to plyometrics or maybe some skipping or drills to get the feet moving again..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rykard, you are off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the OP said squats had made him slower.. is he 100% sure of this? In general weight training will benefit badminton, if the right correct exercises are performed. My coach advised me to concentrate on legs and core - squats, deads, lunges (weighted, bodyweight and twisting) mixed in with interval training. If the op trains like a deadlifter low reps high weight all the time this won't help his game.

how is that off topic?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight training shouldn't make you slower. Professional players all use weight training!

Of course, there are ways to go wrong with any kind of training. If you turn yourself into a massive, hardcore powerlifter, then maybe you will slow down on court. Also be careful to maintain your flexibility by stretching regularly.

Done correctly, squats are an excellent exercise for badminton because they increase general leg strength and improve stability.

Power and strength are related, but they are not the same. If you are using weight training for badminton fitness, it makes sense to include some power-based exercises, such as the power clean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some weight training will help but have you thought about cross fit? I've seen a mass improving on my endurance and quickness.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leongwaipak View Post
    yes badminton can benefit from weight training BUT if you are too bulky and have too much muscle mass in certain muscles, it can actually restrict your flexibility and movement.
    i find this very true because i used to lift in college and i started playing badminton again after college and it was hard to be flexible. in fact, none of the pros are muscular, but very tone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF's explanation on physical fitness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    BWF's explanation on physical fitness

I like the video. There are interesting points that i can consider from the video. Flexibility and elastic strength are two main points that intrigued me. From the video, flexibility is referred to as movement around the joint. I have seen players swinging around custom training rackets and it works for them. That exercise might strengthen not only wrist, but joint as well which improves flexibility. Elastic strength is interesting because i always assume badminton strength as being hard like concrete rather than elastic like steel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Weight training shouldn't make you slower. Professional players all use weight training!

Of course, there are ways to go wrong with any kind of training. If you turn yourself into a massive, hardcore powerlifter, then maybe you will slow down on court. Also be careful to maintain your flexibility by stretching regularly.

Done correctly, squats are an excellent exercise for badminton because they increase general leg strength and improve stability.

Power and strength are related, but they are not the same. If you are using weight training for badminton fitness, it makes sense to include some power-based exercises, such as the power clean.
    It is hard not to grow muscle mass while weightlifting. Does it have to do with genetics? I am naturally a big boned person. Even after slight weight lifts session, I can feel the extra muscle mass slowing me down on court.

When i am off weights, it feels easy to reach for the shuttles. While i am on weights, i feel frustrated. I can barely make it to the shuttle which previously i can take with ease. This got me to thinking. Are weight lifts more suitable to skinny and lean guys compare to slightly muscular build players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any cases, we should at least hit the gym to balance out the non-racquet arm .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes weight training is one of the most important aspects of professional sports.
    however how you use the weight training for badminton is different.
    most weight training sessions for badminton all involve lots of high reps such as 15-20.
    most of those conventional weight lifters and such only do 8-12.
    Of course there are always different methods and finding a personal trainer or a group of friends to find out what your body responds best to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast