User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 56
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,976
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    Even after slight weight lifts session, I can feel the extra muscle mass slowing me down on court.
    That's not extra muscle mass you're feeling. It's "the pump": your muscles are swollen with blood.

    Your muscles are also damaged and need time for recovery. It's during recovery that muscle growth occurs, as the body repairs the micro-traumas in your muscle tissue.

    When you are "on weights", your body is fatigued from the exercise and undergoing tissue repair. Naturally you will be less sharp on the badminton court.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks leongwaipak for your information on players Weight and Height. Lin Dan certainly does not have big muscle, but he has a ripped physique. I have read that a race horse typically weighs 1300 pounds at around 5-6% body fat and can run up to 45 mph. Guess what, with just 2lb extra will slow down a horse roughly 8 feet. 8 feet is a huge disadvantage and if you are talking about race or competition, it might result from winning to losing. Increasing our weight by just a few LBs will slow us down.

    Let's just take LD as a role model, since he has appeared in magazine several times, including Mens Health. Moreover he likes to take off his shirt when he is winning big matches. Therefore, it is easier for us to imagine. I believe, CBA will have a team of nutrition and sports specialist who are trying to find the best combination of Body weight, body fat and muscle mass for a respective athlete that will elevate them to perform even better. However, it is almost impossible for us to find out Lin Dan's training regime, what equipment did he use, how many repetitions, the pace when lifting weight, etc. Those details affect results greatly and i do not think we could get a complete data on this area.

    Lin Dan physic is very ripped. Ripped physique is achieved by possessing Body Fat of around 10%, at that time you will most probably saw your abs muscles, and more defined separation between muscles, for example, arm, shoulder. Therefore, we know that our first objective is to get rid of excess body fat that we currently posses. Next, since Lindan physique is not bulky but ripped, meaning he does not gaining too much muscle, just enough. So, i came into conclusion that in order to have physique like Lin Dan we have to lose our fat and still maintaining our muscle. By searching on the net and practicing it, i found that lifting medium weights with 10-15 repetitions, and as lesser time as possible for break between each sets and exercises will be helpful. If you wanna do Cardio, do it after your weight lifting session. If you do at the beginning, you will lost stamina for your weight lifting session. Using cardio in the beginning is fine, if only you just use it as warming up, not for real Cardio workout. Keep in mind, since you want to loss fat without muscle, an ample amount of good & clean protein is needed to repair muscle tissue which are broken down while lifting weight. Controlling your diet of eating less calories than your burn is extremely critical, on which it will place your body in a calorie deficit stage, thus it will break down fat for compensating calorie deficit. I know that there is possibility of taking calorie by breaking down muscle too. However as you train your muscle and taken an ample amount of protein, you would be fine. A general indication to know that your are not losing your muscle but your fat when your weight decreases is by inspecting your weight lifting progress. For example, initially you do 20Kgs for bench press and increased gradually from time to time to be 30Kgs. If you find out that you just could not lift the weight that you previously able to lift and it happens for several days, it is a sign of yourself losing muscle. Once that happen, increase your calorie intake, or you probably have exercised too much or you do not have a good rest. The key is listen to your body.

    Having a LD's physique is always helpful for badminton. However, do not forget it takes more than just a physique for LD to become LD we knew of. Technique, footwork, strategy, changing pace are way more important.

    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Licin; 06-17-2013 at 06:28 AM.

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Thanks leongwaipak for your information on players Weight and Height. Lin Dan certainly does not have big muscle, but he has a ripped physique. I have read that a race horse typically weighs 1300 pounds at around 5-6% body fat and can run up to 45 mph. Guess what, with just 2lb extra will slow down a horse roughly 8 feet. 8 feet is a huge disadvantage and if you are talking about race or competition, it might result from winning to losing. Increasing our weight by just a few LBs will slow us down.

    Let's just take LD as a role model, since he has appeared in magazine several times, including Mens Health. Moreover he likes to take off his shirt when he is winning big matches. Therefore, it is easier for us to imagine. I believe, CBA will have a team of nutrition and sports specialist who are trying to find the best combination of Body weight, body fat and muscle mass for a respective athlete that will elevate them to perform even better. However, it is almost impossible for us to find out Lin Dan's training regime, what equipment did he use, how many repetitions, the pace when lifting weight, etc. Those details affect results greatly and i do not think we could get a complete data on this area.

    Lin Dan physic is very ripped. Ripped physique is achieved by possessing Body Fat of around 10%, at that time you will most probably saw your abs muscles, and more defined separation between muscles, for example, arm, shoulder. Therefore, we know that our first objective is to get rid of excess body fat that we currently posses. Next, since Lindan physique is not bulky but ripped, meaning he does not gaining too much muscle, just enough. So, i came into conclusion that in order to have physique like Lin Dan we have to lose our fat and still maintaining our muscle. By searching on the net and practicing it, i found that lifting medium weights with 10-15 repetitions, and as lesser time as possible for break between each sets and exercises will be helpful. If you wanna do Cardio, do it after your weight lifting session. If you do at the beginning, you will lost stamina for your weight lifting session. Using cardio in the beginning is fine, if only you just use it as warming up, not for real Cardio workout. Keep in mind, since you want to loss fat without muscle, an ample amount of good & clean protein is needed to repair muscle tissue which are broken down while lifting weight. Controlling your diet of eating less calories than your burn is extremely critical, on which it will place your body in a calorie deficit stage, thus it will break down fat for compensating calorie deficit. I know that there is possibility of taking calorie by breaking down muscle too. However as you train your muscle and taken an ample amount of protein, you would be fine. A general indication to know that your are not losing your muscle but your fat when your weight decreases is by inspecting your weight lifting progress. For example, initially you do 20Kgs for bench press and increased gradually from time to time to be 30Kgs. If you find out that you just could not lift the weight that you previously able to lift and it happens for several days, it is a sign of yourself losing muscle. Once that happen, increase your calorie intake, or you probably have exercised too much or you do not have a good rest. The key is listen to your body.

    Having a LD's physique is always helpful for badminton. However, do not forget it takes more than just a physique for LD to become LD we knew of. Technique, footwork, strategy, changing pace are way more important.

    Hope that helps.
    Good post, Ive always wanted a body like Lin Dan, the thing is I am already skinny so there isn't really much excess fat to burn so what do you suggest I do?

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    It is hard not to grow muscle mass while weightlifting. Does it have to do with genetics? I am naturally a big boned person. Even after slight weight lifts session, I can feel the extra muscle mass slowing me down on court.

    When i am off weights, it feels easy to reach for the shuttles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    That's not extra muscle mass you're feeling. It's "the pump": your muscles are swollen with blood.

    Your muscles are also damaged and need time for recovery. It's during recovery that muscle growth occurs, as the body repairs the micro-traumas in your muscle tissue.

    When you are "on weights", your body is fatigued from the exercise and undergoing tissue repair. Naturally you will be less sharp on the badminton court.
    Gollum spots on the explanation. After a serious weight lifting session, it is a good thing that you feel muscle soreness. if you are not, you are not pushing yourself hard. Your body need time to recover, in order to help your body recover, you must get enough sleep and eating a good & clean protein. That is why, when you are off weights, you feel easy to reach for the shuttles, as you have given your body sufficient time to recover.

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Guys the advice given may or may not work for you as a part of mucsle development is partly genetic based as well.
    In my experience, it is easier to gain muscle if you have something to lose first. I'm speaking of access fat here. It's harder to gain muscle out of nothing unless you are eating proper 5 times a day.
    So again, everyone has a different body and it is not one size fits all in terms of how to get ripped and how to get buff. Just a general concensus on things.

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    That's not extra muscle mass you're feeling. It's "the pump": your muscles are swollen with blood.

    Your muscles are also damaged and need time for recovery. It's during recovery that muscle growth occurs, as the body repairs the micro-traumas in your muscle tissue.

    When you are "on weights", your body is fatigued from the exercise and undergoing tissue repair. Naturally you will be less sharp on the badminton court.
    The pump should not last more than three days right? Problem is that I still feel sluggish after one week off weights. I feel it is easier to develop muscle mass when body fat is slightly high as mine. I am not totally fat. It seems i am heading that way though. Especially after i got married last year.

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Thanks leongwaipak for your information on players Weight and Height. Lin Dan certainly does not have big muscle, but he has a ripped physique. I have read that a race horse typically weighs 1300 pounds at around 5-6% body fat and can run up to 45 mph. Guess what, with just 2lb extra will slow down a horse roughly 8 feet. 8 feet is a huge disadvantage and if you are talking about race or competition, it might result from winning to losing. Increasing our weight by just a few LBs will slow us down.

    Let's just take LD as a role model, since he has appeared in magazine several times, including Mens Health. Moreover he likes to take off his shirt when he is winning big matches. Therefore, it is easier for us to imagine. I believe, CBA will have a team of nutrition and sports specialist who are trying to find the best combination of Body weight, body fat and muscle mass for a respective athlete that will elevate them to perform even better. However, it is almost impossible for us to find out Lin Dan's training regime, what equipment did he use, how many repetitions, the pace when lifting weight, etc. Those details affect results greatly and i do not think we could get a complete data on this area.

    Lin Dan physic is very ripped. Ripped physique is achieved by possessing Body Fat of around 10%, at that time you will most probably saw your abs muscles, and more defined separation between muscles, for example, arm, shoulder. Therefore, we know that our first objective is to get rid of excess body fat that we currently posses. Next, since Lindan physique is not bulky but ripped, meaning he does not gaining too much muscle, just enough. So, i came into conclusion that in order to have physique like Lin Dan we have to lose our fat and still maintaining our muscle. By searching on the net and practicing it, i found that lifting medium weights with 10-15 repetitions, and as lesser time as possible for break between each sets and exercises will be helpful. If you wanna do Cardio, do it after your weight lifting session. If you do at the beginning, you will lost stamina for your weight lifting session. Using cardio in the beginning is fine, if only you just use it as warming up, not for real Cardio workout. Keep in mind, since you want to loss fat without muscle, an ample amount of good & clean protein is needed to repair muscle tissue which are broken down while lifting weight. Controlling your diet of eating less calories than your burn is extremely critical, on which it will place your body in a calorie deficit stage, thus it will break down fat for compensating calorie deficit. I know that there is possibility of taking calorie by breaking down muscle too. However as you train your muscle and taken an ample amount of protein, you would be fine. A general indication to know that your are not losing your muscle but your fat when your weight decreases is by inspecting your weight lifting progress. For example, initially you do 20Kgs for bench press and increased gradually from time to time to be 30Kgs. If you find out that you just could not lift the weight that you previously able to lift and it happens for several days, it is a sign of yourself losing muscle. Once that happen, increase your calorie intake, or you probably have exercised too much or you do not have a good rest. The key is listen to your body.

    Having a LD's physique is always helpful for badminton. However, do not forget it takes more than just a physique for LD to become LD we knew of. Technique, footwork, strategy, changing pace are way more important.

    Hope that helps.
    That is a lot of info to digest. I find information regarding the horse as refreshing. You learn something new every day.

    Regarding the workout routine and repetitions, it depends more on body type and genetics as Elisha stated above. I have practiced weights from low reps to high reps. I studied and followed workout routines i took from health magazines. They were not random. I have tried dumb bells, self body weights (pull ups/push ups), wrist extensions, spring grips, grip coil, etc. Every work out routines work for certain people. That was what i concluded from my hits and misses.

    Increasing the lifting weights are not good indicators to check muscle loss. Instead of getting ripped, you might end up bulky. This is because you are increasing the weights. This will train more muscles and make it bigger instead.
    Last edited by NeverWalkAlone; 06-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    That is a lot of info to digest. I find information regarding the horse as refreshing. You learn something new every day.

    Regarding the workout routine and repetitions, it depends more on body type and genetics as Elisha stated above. I have practiced weights from low reps to high reps. I studied and followed workout routines i took from health magazines. They were not random. I have tried dumb bells, self body weights (pull ups/push ups), wrist extensions, spring grips, grip coil, etc. Every work out routines work for certain people. That was what i concluded from my hits and misses.

    Increasing the lifting weights are not good indicators to check muscle loss. Instead of getting ripped, you might end up bulky. This is because you are increasing the weights. This will train more muscles and make it bigger instead.
    It is true that muscle development is related to genetic. Some people are easier to develop muscle, & some peoples are not, but it is still possible. If you want to gain muscle, the first thing you have to do is turn your body into calorie surplus. With that said, the amount of calories you burn a day is lesser than the amount of calories taken in your body. Thus excess calories will be converted into muscle and fat. An ample amount of good and clean protein is necessary as well as having enough sleep, as our body develop muscle when we are resting.

    In your posts above, i also notice that you feel sluggish after doing workouts and it lasted for a week. Feeling sluggish could be a sign of over training. My suspects are that you either are not having enough sleep, or are not taking sufficient amount of clean & good protein or both. Review your workout routine and listen to your body.

    A sign of muscle loss could be inspected when our body could not lift the weights that we previously able to lift, i have stated it in my earlier post.

    Increasing our lifting weight could & could not make our self bulky. It depends on our goal thus calories intake. Increasing our lifting weight could not make our self bulky, if our goal is to loss fat while maintaining muscle. Thus, you have to place your body in a calorie deficit status. At this stage, calories that we burn exceed calories supplied in our body, to compensate the deficit our body will dig up its storage, whether converting fat or muscle into calories. Since, we are doing weight lifting our muscle are being stimulated, and by taking an ample amount of protein, our muscle could recover and we are not losing it. On the other hand, we lose our fat, since there are no excess calories to be converted into fat. Additionally, increasing our lifting weight could make our self bulky. Your body have to be in an excess calories stage for you to bulk up. Thus, our body will convert the excess calories into fat and muscle. It is impossible to only convert our excess calories into muscle and not fat as it is body mechanism. Therefore, bodybuilder will be in a bulking mode, when they are not entering any contest, and they will be in a loss fat while maintaining muscle mode, as they need to show their muscle by shredding fats when they have contest to attend.

    Hope that helps

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samir12 View Post
    Good post, Ive always wanted a body like Lin Dan, the thing is I am already skinny so there isn't really much excess fat to burn so what do you suggest I do?
    Being skinny does not necessarily mean that you do not have excess fat. You still have excess fat, you still have muscle just that your muscle are not that defined since it is covered by fat. You are of course able to bulk up first and shredding some fat later on. Additionally, you are also able to shred some fat first, until you could see your muscle and decide yourself, if you are satisfied, that's good. If you want to have more muscle, then it is time to bulk up. When a guy losing their fat and not muscle, separation between muscle is visible and more defined in correspond to the decrement in body fat. Your body looks fitter and better, although you are losing weight.

    If i were you, i will look into my height and weight, and i will compare it to the height and weight that the player posses. LD, LCW, & CL all have similar pattern on their height and weight which their weight is their height deducted by 110, with exception of LD which is deducted by 108, but it is around that. So, why don't you take your height deducted by 110, and work from there.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,976
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    The pump should not last more than three days right? Problem is that I still feel sluggish after one week off weights.
    Oh I see -- you're right, that's quite different.

    Not sure why that is happening. One thing to consider: do you stretch after weights, and do you stretch after badminton?

    Some types of exercise, including badminton and weight training, can cause muscles to get shorter. This can affect your stability and speed on court. Stretching can help return muscles to their normal length.

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Being skinny does not necessarily mean that you do not have excess fat. You still have excess fat, you still have muscle just that your muscle are not that defined since it is covered by fat. You are of course able to bulk up first and shredding some fat later on. Additionally, you are also able to shred some fat first, until you could see your muscle and decide yourself, if you are satisfied, that's good. If you want to have more muscle, then it is time to bulk up. When a guy losing their fat and not muscle, separation between muscle is visible and more defined in correspond to the decrement in body fat. Your body looks fitter and better, although you are losing weight.

    If i were you, i will look into my height and weight, and i will compare it to the height and weight that the player posses. LD, LCW, & CL all have similar pattern on their height and weight which their weight is their height deducted by 110, with exception of LD which is deducted by 108, but it is around that. So, why don't you take your height deducted by 110, and work from there.
    So you are saying that my target weight should be my height minus 110?

  12. #46
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samir12 View Post
    So you are saying that my target weight should be my height minus 110?
    I don't know that theory would work too well. They all seem to be about 40% weight with regards to height. So take your weight in kg and divide this by your height in cm then multiply by 100. much more than 40% your too heavy.

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    I don't know that theory would work too well. They all seem to be about 40% weight with regards to height. So take your weight in kg and divide this by your height in cm then multiply by 100. much more than 40% your too heavy.
    Yh, what I did was multiply my height by 40% to get a weight that I should be aiming around. I was thinking I should bulk up until I get to a little over my target weight and then cut, I would like a ripped look.
    Last edited by samir12; 06-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.

  14. #48
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samir12 View Post
    Yh, what I did was multiply my height by 40% to get a weight that I should be aiming around. I was thinking I should bulk up until I get to a little over my target weight and then cut, I would like a ripped look.
    Ha ha wouldn't we all.
    Good Luck.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samir12 View Post
    Yh, what I did was multiply my height by 40% to get a weight that I should be aiming around. I was thinking I should bulk up until I get to a little over my target weight and then cut, I would like a ripped look.
    Good to hear it. Don't forget changing your body is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Give your body some time. Please fill your body with a good and clean protein after workout.

    Good luck.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Good to hear it. Don't forget changing your body is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Give your body some time. Please fill your body with a good and clean protein after workout.

    Good luck.
    Thanks, yh I try to stay away from the fried chicken :P

  17. #51
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kathmandu,Nepal
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, weight traning is muchmore benifit for the badminton because it helps to balance our body at the time of tournament also give confidence to win the game. Sothat,weight traning is muchmore benifit for the badminton players.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Weight training and first day back to badminton
    By Phil in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 150
    : 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
  2. Weight Training for Badminton
    By Mark A in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 15
    : 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
  3. Weight training for badminton..
    By shaunx in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 2
    : 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
  4. I need help now!! -How does badminton benefit you?
    By r8ymond in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 12
    : 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
  5. weight training
    By andy in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 06-07-2000, 10:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •