Badminton in Seoul (Shinchon area near Sogang University)

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by RobinZheng, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RobinZheng

RobinZheng Regular Member

Clubs or places to play near Yonsei University?

Hi all

I am a new Chinese Student here at Yonsei University,Sinchon-Dong,Seodaemun-gu (연세대 신촌동 서대문구). I will stay here at least 2 years. I really would like to find a place or club to play badminton. Back home I had played badminton for about 3 years, 1 or 2 hours per week. I am kind of addicted to it.

I have searched from this forum and found the Club of Seoul Foreign School which is very near my University. But they don't seem to organize games any more. I wrote to someone of this club and didn't get any reply.

I also noticed that they are building some new badminton courts just in the Yonsei campus. Though I am not sure when will the courts be ready and whether the courts are for all students.

So are there any other places or clubs for me to join nearby? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. RobinZheng

I have already contacted to the Seoul Foreign School badminton club. Thanks.

3. event

event Regular Member

What can you tell us about the club at SFS? As far as I knew, they only play once a week. Another forum member was interested in checking it out, too, by the way.

If you're looking for greater frequency, you can try the E-dae club at the Ewha Womans [sic] University Busok High School. It's #6 on this list. That's very close to Yonsei but it says they only play 6-8AM. Another place that isn't too far is the Sky Club, which plays at Ahyun Elementary School. It's #7 on this list and Oldhand describes it early in this thread.

4. RobinZheng

They are still organizing games every Monday from 6:30 to 9 Pm. Buffie, an organizer there told me that the club has existed more than 10 years. Participants are a mixture of students from SFS and adults from different levels.They have 6 courts and rackets if you do not have your own.They require a financial participation of 10000 won per month.The court is in the big gym located opposite the football pitch.

And Event, thanks for your information about the other clubs. I will think about them. ​

5. RobinZheng

The email address mentioned here is right. I contacted to Vincent successfully through this email address.

6. e2theipi

e2theipi New Member

Student
    Hello everyone,

I looked through some of the threads and on the badminton times website for information about where to play, but I'm not sure if these places are operating so I wanted to ask someone on these forums where I could go. Currently, I'm studying Korean at Sogang University (서강대학교) and am living in Yeonhuidong, Seodaemoon-gu (서대문구 연희동). I asked a few students if Sogang had a badminton club but they said they didn't have one unfortunately. I don't mind traveling but any area near Sogang or Yonsei would be best. I'm an intermediate-advanced player and can speak some Korean.

Thanks!

7. event

event Regular Member

You're talking about the same area as in this thread.

8. event

event Regular Member

Another place is the Gungdong Chaeyookkwan (궁동체육관), which is near the end of the line for Yonheui Maeul bus #4. It apparently has an admission fee.

It would be helpful, moderators, if these threads could be merged, though, since we are talking about the very same area.

9. e2theipi

e2theipi New Member

Student
    My apologies for creating a redundant thread. I'm kinda new to these forums (and Korea as well heh). Anyway, I dropped by the Sky Club at Ahyeon (아현초등학교). Currently they play every day except Sundays and holidays from 7:30 pm to 10 pm. The membership fee is 25,000 won. Pretty much no one there spoke English but I was able to get by with my Korean. I'll have to learn some Korean badminton terms though. Their webpage is http://cafe.daum.net/skybadminton. I found it by searching for 스카이 배드민턴 클럽.

If anyone is interested in meeting up somewhere in the Seoul area for some badminton let me know! I want to try out other clubs. I also need to find a place to restring my rackets.

10. event

event Regular Member

I'm glad you found a place. For stringing, I might be able to help there. My experience is that in clubs that play in school gyms (i.e. the only case where there isn't a racquet shop in or across from the gym), there will be one member who strings rackets and sells shuttles to the other members.

If you want to find a shop, though, there is one that I know of. Go up Yeonhee-ro, the big road that heads north up the west side of Yonsei University. Go up past the Seoul Foreign School (Mael bus #3 or blue bus #110 among others go up there) and past the 육교(pedestrian overpass) and turn right at the fire station and you'll be on the road that leads up to the Yonsei dorms. Before the road climbs, there is a racquet store on the lefthand side. They specialize in tennis but I'm pretty sure they have badminton racquets and will string them too.

Or ask a member '어떻게 줄 맬수있어요?' 줄 매다 is the expression you need.

You should contact Robin from the other thread.

11. event

event Regular Member

Two more things: There was a badminton tournament at the main gym for your Gu this past weekend. It seems there is a 9-court dedicated badminton gym in the park on the other side of the hill Hongik University is on, 와우산. To get there, I think you start at Shinchon Station, take the road that goes to the southwest (left) side of Grand Mart, keep going to the IBK bank, and take the road up the hill behind it. You might be able to see it marked with an A on the map at this link.

The other thing is that there will be some great badminton to watch in the next month. First up is the Summer Championships in 충주 (Chungju) this month, and then starting on the 30th of June are the Asian Junior Championships in 화순 (Hwasun).

12. e2theipi

e2theipi New Member

Student
    I did some googling for the place with the link you gave me. Here's what I came up with: this and this (has a photo of the place, dated 2011년 08월 31일 so it should still be relevant.) It seems like the place is for public recreational use (can you confirm this?) since it's open from 5:00 to 22:00 during the summer according to first link. I guess I'll drop by tomorrow (hopefully they're open on Sundays) and see what it's like.

13. event

event Regular Member

Public recreational use, yes. As you can see from the photo in the first link, it used to have a dirt floor. The article linked to in the second link is announcing the completion of the urethane (over concrete, surely) floor. At this link, it points out that there was a 2000 admission charge 2 years ago, when there was a dirt floor. I don't know what it costs now. Those urethane floors are not kind to old knees. Usually good traction, though.

14. e2theipi

e2theipi New Member

Student
    I just got back from playing at 와우산 배드민턴장. The place is much nicer than the club at 아현초등학교 and I was able to get my rackets restrung in the same day! The restringing fee was 22,000 won for two rackets strung with BG-80 which is a lot cheaper than what I can get in the States. There was a water machine as well as a drinking fountain, and a changing room there. All sorts of people of varying ages and skill levels were playing there and I was fortunate to meet someone close to my age there. I'll definitely be going back to this place from now on. It's a lot nicer than the club at 아현초등학교 and not too hot. Perhaps I'll be able to find a place to play with professional flooring (I've been spoiled by my club back in California) and stiffer competition later on.

15. Baddiefan

Baddiefan Regular Member

와우산 배드민턴장

We went to play at 와우산 배드민턴장 today. It was a little difficult to find at first from Sichon station, but after much asking around with a map we found it. It is actually located in a park. I like the fact that these were dedicated badminton courts without other confusing lines like those you find in some gyms. The courts are pretty close to each other. The people who were there were friendly when asked for a game. Language barrier was not a problem, seemed like the people we talked to spoke English to different degrees. It does not cost anything to play there without joining a club, but then you'll need to bring your own shuttles. I will definitely go there again.

16. warrior_prinzz

warrior_prinzz New Member

badminton near shincheon

Hi I'll be visiting Seoul from Sept. 22 - 28 and I want to experience playing and meeting friends through badminton. I'm just a beginner - intermediate level but I'm really addicted to play badminton everywhere anytime. I cannot speak korean only english :):):):):)

17. event

event Regular Member

First, we should verify which station you mean. Shincheon Station is south of the river, near Jamshil, Lotte World, etc. Shinchon ('chon' rhymes with 'cone') Station is the one north of the river nestled among Yonsei, Sogang, Ewha and Hongik Universities. If it is the latter you meant, there are two threads already open on it, here and here, and there is also information in the main Seoul thread, as well as a little more here.

18. warrior_prinzz

warrior_prinzz New Member

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Threads merged

20. event

event Regular Member

Thanks.
    Okay, so this is all the same neighbourhood and hence the three threads have been merged. Just check out the Wa-u-san Park gym mentioned on the previous page or any of the other clubs mentioned there and/or try PM'ing the three BC members that have played in the area.