The Father of Chinese Badminton, Wang Wen Jiao

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By chance,I happened to come across this article about Chinese badminton. I already know little of Tang Xianhu, Hou Chia Chang and Fang Kai Hsiang. What is even more amazing is these three Grand Masters are students of the same teacher, Wang Wen Jiao,whom I've never heard of.

http://www.dnasyndication.com/dna/article/DNBAN33623

I
    started this thread to know more about these four whom I regard as the founding fathers of Chinese badminton. The teacher was 77 years old at the time the article was written dated 11/23/2010. It explained how China became a badminton superpower.

The above article is copyright restricted,so cannot copy and paste here.

Note,in Hanyu Pinyin, I think Hou Chia Chang should be written as Hou Jiachang and Fang Kai Hsiang as Fang Kaixiang (correct me if I'm wrong as I'm only sure of Tang Xianhu's):)

2. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Very interesting post. Thank you.
    Likewise, I know Tang, Hou & Fang but do not know WWJ until reading it today.

Just imagine what would Indonesia be today if these 4 players continue to stay and did not leave for China.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

4. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Can you imagine what would happen to China today if the Chinese expatriates did not choose to come back to promote their Indonesian chinese badminton philosophy ?

You can still see the problem happening. MD is the best example.

Shows that Mainland Chinese cannot think creatively and develop out of the box without foreign intervention.

Just take a look at the current mainland Chinese coach charges. Most of them are not doing well. It's only the players who made contact with TangXianhu or Huo JiaChiang.

Others are pretty hopeless i would say.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Seems to me you're a hard taskmaster or perfectionist for demanding CHN to be dominant in every department. Just because she is a bit less commanding in MD that you conclude "Mainland Chinese cannot think creatively and develop out of the box without foreign intervention".

That assertion is,to me, far-fetched and pushing it. Based on your reasoning, I could conversely declare that it's precisely that CHN can think so creatively and out-of-the-box that they achieve badminton supremacy today albeit with some help from the foreign-born Chinese. Btw, a number of badminton powerhouses also tapped on the influence and contributions of foreign Chinese coaches from CHN and elsewhere, notable examples being DEN who has Zhang Liangying, MAS who once had Li Mao, JAP who has Park Joo Bong.

Furthermore,among the foreign Chinese coaches,only Tang Xianhu is still coaching the last couple of years and in a lesser capacity due to his advanced age and health grounds. Most of the coaching and results are the work of China-born coaches like Zhong Bo,Tang Xuehua,Zhang Ning and Xia Xuanze, for example, that produce the present cohort of players, with the exception of Lin Dan perhaps who benefited the most from Tang Xianhu.

Moreover,it's my belief that the coach's role is important but not the pre-eminent factor, the players themselves and other resources as well as the national will and spirit are the other component parts of the equation for outstanding success. I read that another contemporary of Tang Xianhu and Hou Jiachang, namely
    Fang Kaixiang, who had a stint as coach in MAS and INA, also produced quite significant results but nowhere as comparable as the former two in CHN - you may want to read about it in the thread I linked to in post #3 above.

Anyhow,this isn't the relevant thread to discuss why CHN's MDs aren't as dominant as their MS,for example, so I shall stop here. Suffice to say, it is undeniably the pivotal role of Wang Wenjiao,the Father of Chinese badminton, and his three famous disciples, Tang Xianhu,Hou Jiachangg ,and Fang Kaixiang, that started CHN from zero to hero in badminton.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

some of the older/veteran BCers (such as mr. t aka taneepak, viver) should be able to chime in, in this thread..discussion on this, if i recall, may have surfaced before in other threads..