Singapore Open : Semi Finals

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 22, 2003.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Men's Singles
    1. Chen Hong (CHN) vs Lin Dan (CHN)
    2. Chen Yu (CHN) vs Lee Hyun Il (KOR)

Women's Singles
    1. Zhang Ning (CHN) vs Camilla Martin (DEN)
    2. Zhou Mi (CHN) vs Gong Ruina (CHN)

Men's Doubles
    1. Jens Eriksen & Martin Lundgaard Hansen (DEN) vs Anthony Clark & Nathan Robertson (ENG)
    2. Choong Tan Fook & Lee Wan Wah (MAS) vs Lars Paaske & Jonas Rasmussen (DEN)

Women's Doubles
    1. Wei Yili & Zhao Tingting (CHN) vs Yang Wei & Zhang Jiewen (CHN)
    2. Lee Kyung Won & Ra Kyung Min (KOR) vs Gao Ling & Huang Sui (CHN)

Mixed Doubles
    1. Kim Dong Moon & Ra Kyung Min (KOR) vs Prapakamol Sudket & Thungthongkam Saralee (THA)
    2. Widianto Nova & Marissa Vita (INA) vs Zheng Bo & Zhang Jiewen (CHN)

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Men's Singles
    1. I'd go for Chen Hong. He's not #1 as a peanut seller.
    2. I'd hope for Lee to get through, as I don't really fancy another China vs China tie.

Women's Singles
    1. Tough one here but if the WC2003 performance is to be taken into account, I'd say Zhang Ning will get through, comfortably
    2. The repeat of the WC2003 semifinals here. I will still go for Zhou Mi, whatever you guys say! :) (I'm at risk of supporting women's badminton for the wrong reason...)

Men's Doubles
    1. To be honest, I know neither of two European teams but judging by how the Danes had managed to subdue the likes of Sang & Zheng, I'm for them.
    2. My goodness, Choong & Lee against another pair of champions. But to think that they actually defeated the Indonesians (-English?), I'd think they may be able to pull it off against Jonas & Lars. But then again, if their performance against Candra & Sigit is anything to go by, I think Choong & Lee are in deep trouble. Still, they have nothing to lose (but ranking points). You'll never know. Choong & Lee gets my vote.

Women's Doubles
    1. Zhao & Wei should get through. I think, thus...
    2. ... Gao-Huang should be their opponents at the finals. Another women's tie as it was in WC2003 Finals?

Mixed Doubles
    1. Barring any injuries to the Koreans (*touching wooden table*), I think this will be nothing more than a sparring session for Kim & Ra. A total whitewash?
    2. Ok, I know nothing much about the Indonesians but I think the Chinese are 'supposed' to get through this round.

3. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

My bets are:

MS
    - Lin Dan, this youngster will be going all out to prove what the younger generations is capable of. In fact, it's a pity that Bao CL has to lose to him at an earlier stage!
    - Chen Yu

WS
    - Zhang Ning, will she be handing Camilla another 11-0?:D
    - Gong Ruina

MD
    - Jens/Martin, the English pair are just a class lower
    - Lars/Jonas, though Choong/Lee played well to destroy Flandy/Eng Hian, you never know if they could play like novice today. The world champs are steadier and much secured bets.

WD
    - 50-50, can't really separate the 2 Chinese pairs who are on par.
    - Gao/Huang

XD
    - Kim/Ra, the odds are 99-1:D
    - Zheng/Zhang

#3 whizkelv, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    MS:
    1. Chen Hong as he's overcome a few obstacles already that used to trouble him (ie. Hafiz) and I think he's hungry for another final.
    2. Chen Yu as he is actually a very good player, as evidenced in China internals and previous tourneys. Just always "left behind" by Chinese squad.

WS:
    1. Zhang Ning - no need to even explain why.
    2. Gong Ruina - I think I'm going to go for my Province-woman and she has looked 2nd sharped Chinese WS player after Zhang recently.

MD:
    1. Ericksen/Lundgaard as the English pair have not made it this far too many times.
    2. Lars/Jonas because they have shown great consistency thus, even taming Chen/Cheng easily 6, and 3.

WD:
    1. Zhao/Wei but it should be close one.
    2. Gao/Huang - it's not Busan anymore so no more "erroneous" line calls.

XD:
    1. Kim/Ra no doubts about it. This one should be how many points can the Thai pair score??
    2. Zheng/Zhang - once again going for my province-man.

I think this S'Pore Open is going to be same gold medal turnout as WC '03, and in the same events as well. China gets 3 in MS, WS, WD. Danes get one in MD, and Koreans get one in XD. Of course, there's Zheng/Zhang to stop Kim/Ra (k, I'm dreaming now).

5. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

Men's Singles

1. Chen Hong (CHN) vs Lin Dan (CHN): Lin Dan, he was the winner in Japan open when they met. Plus his determination and style get my vote again as in the quarter finals.

2. Chen Yu (CHN) vs Lee Hyun Il (KOR): Lee Hyun II. Chen Yu still need to prove he can win at international tournaments, not just another Luo YiGang.

Women's Singles

1. Zhang Ning (CHN) vs Camilla Martin (DEN): Zhang Ning. She is super hot these days. Camilla might get another egg.

2. Zhou Mi (CHN) vs Gong Ruina (CHN): Gong Ruina. She is more stable and she is in better shape than Zhou Mi recently..

Men's Doubles

1. Jens Eriksen & Martin Lundgaard Hansen (DEN) vs Anthony Clark & Nathan Robertson (ENG): Clark & Nathan Robertson (ENG), their wins over strong opponents in this tournament get my vote.

2. Choong Tan Fook & Lee Wan Wah (MAS) vs Lars Paaske & Jonas Rasmussen (DEN)
    Looks like Choong/Lee woke up recently, I still wont bet on them. Lars and Jonas to win.

Women's Doubles
    1. Wei Yili & Zhao Tingting (CHN) vs Yang Wei & Zhang Jiewen (CHN):
    Yang Wei & Zhang Jiewen (CHN). Jiewen is back in form from her minor surgery. This pair has potentials to be world champion sooner or later.

2. Lee Kyung Won & Ra Kyung Min (KOR) vs Gao Ling & Huang Sui (CHN):
    With 15 pt system, I guess Ra would not have enough stamina to cover Lee's weakness. Gao/Huang should be the winner.

Mixed Doubles

1. Kim Dong Moon & Ra Kyung Min (KOR) vs Prapakamol Sudket & Thungthongkam Saralee (THA): Kim/Ra period.

2. Widianto Nova & Marissa Vita (INA) vs Zheng Bo & Zhang Jiewen (CHN)
    Zheng/Zhang. This pair is still improving. They lost to Korean Kim/Lee in WC 1st round, but beat them up easily this time. Nova/Vita lost to Sang/Chen in WC, and they have been around for sometime, the level should be stable.

#5 Joel_y, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    One game win all again

If the organiser is smart, the match between Lin Dan vs Chen Hong should play before Lee Hyun Il vs Chen Yu to prevent the "One game win all" conspiracy again. I do not want to see "all chinese affair" in the final even though I am a chinese. It would be nice to see Lee Hyun Il vs either Chen Hong or Lin Dan.

7. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Re: One game win all again

From the schedule overview, it appears that both matches will be played in parallel, over 2 courts. So, if Lee HI upset Chen Yu in a match which lasted shorter than the next court's one, I'm quite sure that Li YB will signal to Lin Dan, asking him to "go back and sleep!":p :(

8. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Well, the WC was different from this. It was more prestigious.
    'Sides, Wong CH was a bigger threat in the eyes of the Chinese compared to Lee. Remember how Chen Hong actually lost to Lin in JP in 3 sets. Lin went to rubber in every match there.
    I think China will let the two play it out.

9. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Haha....that was a good one. Go back to sleep. Li Yong Bo, better be careful. One day it will be his own players that will walk out on him if he goes on manipulating things like that.

10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Strange that results are so late today. Anyone have any latest news from Singapore?

11. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Just wanted to add that I really sympathise with Ronald though. I hope he won't be too affected by this defeat and instead learn from it.

12. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

It's good to see that Choong/Lee still have some value in them judging from their display against the world champions. However, they should not be carried away with such achievement. One semi appearance in a year is not good enough.
    Hope to see them continue this form in Indonesia and Malaysia!! :)