User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    Hi!

I'm new here and a little lost. I like the site/thread you mentioned. I'd like to learn more about spinning the shuttle...Can you please help by advising me as to where to begin?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slice and down

I just started to play more drop shots recently, just as a tatical shot, (I play mainly double). IMO, there are two key points:

- Slice it: With a sliced contact, the shuttle will accelerate back fast initially, then quickly come slow when passes the net. That mean it would fall closer to the net. One more advantage is that you got more deception since you can hit it with quite a fast big swing. I oftem mixe between using forearm or using solely wrist in the last swing. The former gives stronger slice, while the latter allows you to hit it higher. Just remember to keep your body stationary. If you lean forward, the shuttle will go like horizontally

- Hit it down: With a proper slice, I can aim the racket face right to the ground (in my court, some where near the net). A slice will not force the shuttle to move vertically as muchs as a straight one. As long as you can hit it high enough, in will pass the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is slicing all about the angle of the racquet or is there more to it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, it's rather about changing of angle: You first touch the shuttle nearly squarely, then quickly reduce the angle (by squeezing fingers or twisting ur wrist). This creates, beside the slice, a spinning effect, which makes the shuttle decelerate faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huynd
    IMO, it's rather about changing of angle: You first touch the shuttle nearly squarely, then quickly reduce the angle (by squeezing fingers or twisting ur wrist). This creates, beside the slice, a spinning effect, which makes the shuttle decelerate faster.
    Thanks! Will try it out tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone tell me whether im doing a correct drop shot? I slice the shuttle no matter where i want it to go whether straight or cross court. Is it correct? Cause they say while slicing the shuttle can go faster and yet steeper.

My shuttles are always short and I find it annoying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slices are advanced shots that need time and practice to utilize fully. basically, slices>drops in most cirumstances because of the deception (fast swing speed, slow shuttle speed). being able to slice both straight and crosscourt with the same action >>> slices. once you can do that, you'll give your opponents hell. if you can incorporate straight and crosscourt slices along with a decent smash, you'll really have the upper hand. however, slices take lots of practice. so practice the correct slice will go steeper than a normal drop. if you're falling short, maybe you're over slicing. otherwise, you could be contacting the shuttle too high or low so you lose power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the ultimate deceptive drop shot - see Anthony Clark!! Looks like he is going for a crazy smash with ultra force then ferociously cuts across the shuttle at his peak causing it to drop rapidly at a super sharp angle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx alot for your advice =) I realized that I have been doing my drop shots while locking my wrist. So now when i executed my drop shots I slice it with with both my arms swinging and wrist snap and yea the shuttle passes the net. Now is that the correct way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by checkthemc View Post
    Hey I never knew about the reverse slice. Are you sure it exists? As in why is it better than a regular fast drop?
    arrangement of the feathers.

i agree with gollum, drop shot isnt a killer shot when it comes to against certain level of player esp those with fast footwork. many use it in double to variety their speed shot, make the opponent lifting for the next kill, to keep or switch from defensive to offensive mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People like LYB and Fuzzy like to do somekind of jump smash with a fast drop. Nice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    People like LYB and Fuzzy like to do somekind of jump smash with a fast drop. Nice.
    and dont forget JJS too..
    they did that just as fast as lighting..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well according to many friends of mine, my drop shots are close enough to perfect as a non-pro can get. What i do is as some people has said "push" the birdie slightly on contact and hit it JUST over the next to make it land the min 3inches-serve line. I either do that or i slice, many people have already described how to slice so ill say less...oh and i also tap the birdie right over the net too without any push or slice
    but in the end, it all comes down to you adjusting yourself to your racket, birdie and your racket tension till you get a feel of how much force you need to push, slice, or tap the birdie right over
    so practice practice practice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2