how to do a perfect drop shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by baregreenson, Aug 23, 2003.

1. baregreenson

baregreenson New Member

engineer
    Hi to all of you.

Just want to ask something on how to do that perfect drop shot where in it will land nearly at the opponent's net and without him/her noticing that you will do a drop shot.And i want a drop shot which is fast. Is that possible?

moreover, what im doing is this....if the opponent gives me a high ball and im at the back, and far from the net, what i usually do is that i will jump imitating that i will do a powerful smash then ill do my drop shot.

my drop shot is like this. as i jump high, ill just let my racquet touch the shuttlecock then ill just push my racquet towards the net. Thus, the flight of the shuttlecock is slow.

sometimes, i feel lucky since the ball drops very near the opponents net, but sometimes, its just short.

So, is my drop shot correct? I mean, am i doing it the right way? Is there a means of doing a FAST drop shot?

thanks a lot and hoping for your imediate response. Im just in an intermediate level btw.

2. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    How tall are you? I find that there is an observable height advantage when tall players play drop shots, because the angle of the shot can compensate for the speed of fast drops so that they land nearer the net. Perhaps this is the intended effect of your jumping - to gain more height.

This jumping can have an adverse effect in terms of your predictability. Jumping for a shot is usually the preparation for an attacking angle, so your opponent will be more likely to prepare for an attacking shot.

You also mentioned that you "push" the racket after contact (the wrist is kept flexed back on contact), suggesting that you aren't hitting it above your head. I used to do this "push" too, to help guide the shuttle. I eventually realised that it was very difficult to feign this drop shot and actually play an attacking clear, so this also makes your drop a tad predictable.

A jumping drop shot can be both fast and, to a degree, tight. But unless you can feign a drop to play any other overhead shot with the jumping, I suggest that you go back to basics and play the shot from the ground. Practice in particular coordinating the timing of the hit high above your head. Rock back, point up, rock forward and swing with your elbow high and tucked in.

Once you have mastered this, you will realise that it is very easy to feign other overheads if you change speed and angle of the raquet just before contact.

Practice, practice, practice! :)

Aleik.

3. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    If you're working at a drop shot, I'd recommend practicing it with your feet on the ground first before jumping. Although deception is always good, the moment you leave your feet you can lose your position.

Rather than pushing the shuttle, you could try slicing it instead. This uses a fast deceptive motion that emulates a smash except you would slice the shuttle with the face of the raccquet parallel to the net in a sweeping motion. A little hard to explain. :)

When you're performing these shots, are you playing singles or doubles? Do you also have a fast drop?

4. baregreenson

baregreenson New Member

engineer
    the first reason why im jumping is for deception....and im only 5'4" in height.
    ive already heard of the slicing thingy and i guess i'll just have to practice it.

btw, i always do drop shots in doubles....but sometimes quite afraid to do it since the opponents player near the net might just smash it out back. :)

but i also want to do drop shots during singles games specially when i feel like my opponent does not have that 'speed' of getting near the net just to receive my drop shot....

i guess my drop shot is not that fast....

thanks a lot for the comments,and hoping to learn more!

This forum rocks! Ive been using my internet account just to surf on one site....www.badmintonforum.com !!!

btw, have you heard of the racket pro-kennex? is pro kennex also considered as one of the clonex? any comments on this brand of badminton rackets?

5. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    If it please your opponents, ask them what they think when you prepare for your drop. You say you "always drop" in doubles. Do they find it predictable? The reason you don't want to drop against the better doubles players may be that they can read the drop early and bear down on the net.

When playing doubles, you should vary the speed and direction so your opponents can't anticipate it, but always keep the same form until just before contact. Down the middle is effective,,,try and make them clash raquets!

In singles, the same applies, but aim for the two corners. It isn't as important to keep theings pin-point accurate, because there's no-one at the net in singles. Of course, the perfect drop shot is the one that goes in every time. Consistency is the key.

First try one that lands near the service line. Keep practicing with a partner until you can play the same drop starting from base and running back to the corners or the centre. When you are comfortable with the footwork and know the correct rhythm, you can then work on the accuracy/speed.

You will find raquet brands in the <<equipment forum>>. Use the search function often.

Aleik.

#5 Aleik, Aug 24, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  6. badcjosh

badcjosh Regular Member

Database Adm.
    Depending on the angle ur in when you hit a fast drop. If you're in ur racket hand (right hand) and u intend to do the fast drop cross-court, then proper slicing would help. If doing a straight fast drop a little wrist movement would help control the shuttle closer to the net. Sometimes i fake my fast drop by acting like i am to smash the shuttle (with or without jumping). Using ur backhand naman, i always execute the fast drop using a round-the-head stroke then i'll drop it corss-court (which is more effective). Again, wrist movement will help in the execution of this stroke. Sana nakatulong ako, kabayan..What club do you belong to?

7. baregreenson

baregreenson New Member

engineer
    ei, i usually play at The Zone and at Greenhills badminton center. How about you?

8. liverpool

liverpool Regular Member

First, you must have a very good wrist which can direct the direction of the shuttle. Body posture similar to smash or high lob. ie sideway. Ask your friend to serve 200 hundreds shuttles a session. Do this till u get the " TOUCH " initially by dropping from the baseline. Practice till you are able to control the flight of the shuttle. ie. crossing slightly above the net and landing on the either side of the service line. Very rarely for a player to drop to the centre.

Once you are able to do the above, you need to do it by jumping up and a faster body movement. Common errors
    1) hitting the shuttle behind the shoulder. Floating drop!
    2) Moving to the direction of the drop...use only the wrist to direct the shuttle.
    3) A slow body movement....opponent can easily anticipate your drop. Remember drop shot is a killer shot, thus it will be rather disastrous if your opponent can retrive it. This is becos a drop shot usually took place at the back of the court and your opponent will very likely just play a net shot in return. It is the furthest point you got to run for the net return!

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not true. A drop to the centre is common in doubles, where it may tempt both players to the same shuttle.

I agree, however, that a drop to the centre is pointless in singles.

Not true. A drop is hardly ever a "killer shot" (ie attempted winner) at high standards of play. The attempted winners are either smashes or net kills.

I agree, however, that a SLOW drop is a very dangerous shot. If your opponent gets to the net in time, he could play a nasty tumbling netshot to finish the rally.

With a fast drop, this is not really possible. He could still tumble the shuttle (if he's VERY good), but it won't be too effective - because the tumbling will stop before it reaches the net (or just after).

10. Baminton_junkie

Baminton_junkie Regular Member

Floor Layer
    Im not sure if someone has said this yet because Im just to lazy to read this entire thread but i find to get you have to have a couple of things on your side.

1.A nice non-wind up drop could be just cm over the net but you have no deception which gives your opponent a chance to as I say read and react.
    If you want to use a bit of trickiness with your drops try not to drop your shoulder Dont ask me why but just dont do it. Secondly Dont swing hard like your going to clear or smash and then slow your swing to drop because this will put you off your balance and bad stuff can happen.

My key piece of advice would be just to get into your ready postion and just use a slow early swing. Once your in that position your opponent will not be able to read you and tell what shot your will be coming at him.

But the biggest thing is to just PRACTICE

11. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I've noticed that when you hit a drop shot , the higher the shuttlecock is above the net , the closer to the net it goes . I don't know why , but one of my drop shot was really high above the net one time , then it went almost straight down after it has crossed over the net , making the shuttlecock go REALLY close to the net .
    ( I'm not really sure if that 'theory' is true or not ... what do you guys think ? )

Ofcourse , with that kind of drop shot , if the opponent gets there early , then a net kill ( because the shuttlecock is so hight above the net ) or simply a spinning net shot like Gollum said can easily finish off the rally .

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think they call it 'physics'?

Assuming you have the 'same height' (when you stand and hold your racket right up at its highest point) and you hit the shuttle hard (like a straight line) just above the net from the baseline, your shot will be flatter when it lands on the other side of the court. But as you progressively approach nearer the net with the 'same height' and hit the shuttle just above the net, your shot becomes steeper.

The angle measured from the floor where the shuttle has landed to where you hit it from becomes more acute as you hit from nearer the net. You can see this (angles and trajectories) much clearer if you illustrate on paper.

OK, maybe I can do this for you on my digital camera:

Attached Files:

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

I've seen someone that always does dropshots. They can do it so well that they dont have to use any other shot, what it does is the feathers always touch the tape on the net and falls over verticaly, its impossible to return it. No matter were he is, even from the back of his courts, he can does hit the tape and make it fall over, then theres his cross-court dropshot which rides the net tape for the majority of it then falls verticly. His an old timer though, in his 60's or 70's maybe?

14. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

perhape he practise a lot.A you see..it quick hard to make the shuttle hit new and fall over to oppenent side,and not your side(unless by sheer luck).You can see in tourny,the pro don't even do it.

Back to topic,is slicing of shuttle faster of normal light touch faster?

15. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

There are 2 types of slice, Slice and reverse-slice, making the shuttle rotate in different directions.
    The way the feathers are arranged on the shuttle means the rotation in different directions has different effects.

For a right-hander, slice is slow, reverse-slice is fast.
    For a left-hander, slice is fast, reverse-slice is slow.

16. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Hey I never knew about the reverse slice. Are you sure it exists? As in why is it better than a regular fast drop?

17. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

18. WileECoyote

WileECoyote Regular Member

non-professional
    Hi!

I'm new here and a little lost. I like the site/thread you mentioned. I'd like to learn more about spinning the shuttle...Can you please help by advising me as to where to begin?

Thanks!

19. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Slice and down

I just started to play more drop shots recently, just as a tatical shot, (I play mainly double). IMO, there are two key points:

- Slice it: With a sliced contact, the shuttle will accelerate back fast initially, then quickly come slow when passes the net. That mean it would fall closer to the net. One more advantage is that you got more deception since you can hit it with quite a fast big swing. I oftem mixe between using forearm or using solely wrist in the last swing. The former gives stronger slice, while the latter allows you to hit it higher. Just remember to keep your body stationary. If you lean forward, the shuttle will go like horizontally

- Hit it down: With a proper slice, I can aim the racket face right to the ground (in my court, some where near the net). A slice will not force the shuttle to move vertically as muchs as a straight one. As long as you can hit it high enough, in will pass the net.;)

20. WileECoyote

WileECoyote Regular Member

non-professional
    Is slicing all about the angle of the racquet or is there more to it?