Nathan Robertson retires

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Khaleesi, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Regular Member

Robertson brings glittering badminton career to an end NATHAN ROBERTSON, one of the elite group of England players to make more than 100 international appearances, today brought the curtain down on his glittering badminton career.� The 2006 world mixed doubles champion and 2004 Olympic silver medallist has finally decided to retire just� two weeks after winning his 114th England cap at the Thomas Cup Finals in China.�Robertson, who was 35 on May 30, made his first England appearance aged 18 in 1995 and that was the launch pad to a career which brought success at every level. Even in the last weeks of his career he and his mixed doubles partner, Jenny Wallwork had climbed to No. 17 in the world, coming so close to selection for London 2012.�His senior successes include:�Winning the Olympic silver medal in mixed doubles with Gail Emms in 2004 in Athens and competing in three Games�Winning the World mixed doubles gold medal with Emms in Madrid in 2006 and men�s doubles bronze medal with Simon Archer in Copenhagen in 1999�European mixed doubles gold medal with Gail Emms and men�s doubles silver with Anthony Clark in Geneva in 2004 to follow silvers with Emms and Clark in 2002. His first of eight individual medals was a bronze with Julian Robertson in 1998 in Sofia and his eighth was with Jenny Wallwork in Manchester in 2010.�Commonwealth gold medal with Gail Emms in 2006 and silver medals with Jenny Wallwork in mixed doubles and with Anthony Clark in men�s doubles in 2010 to bring his Commonwealth medal haul in individual competition to eight. He also won team gold in 2006 and team bronze in 2002 and 2010.�On the BWF World Super Series circuit won the Singapore Open men�s doubles title with Anthony Clark in 2009 to give England their first Superseries title and before the advent of Superseries he and Emms won the 2005 Yonex All England title and were runners-up in 2006 also collecting multiple tournament� titles around the globe.In team events he was also a key member of the England squad which won a bronze medal at the 2007 Sudirman Cup world mixed team championships in Glasgow�Domestically, he has been English National men�s doubles champion nine times and mixed doubles champion six times.�� Robertson�s amazing contribution to English sport was also recognised at the 2010 Commonwealth Games when he was awarded the honour of carrying the Team England flag at the opening ceremony and he will step into the spotlight for a final time when he runs the Brent leg of the 2012 Olympic torch relay on July 25.�The former world No. 1 in mixed doubles and No. 4 in men�s doubles, said: �I've had a fantastic career in a sport that has given me so much, I've been lucky to have some great people to work with along the way especially partners including Julian Robertson, Simon Archer, Anthony Clark, Gail Emms and Jenny Wallwork, I have incredible respect for each one of them and they are all friends for life now.�Of course, none of this would have been possible without the constant support of BADMINTON England, and several coaches but especially Andy Wood and Julian Robertson (as coach), I had the best guidance and advice of those two to keep me on the right path and was proud they were behind the court during myself and Gail�s 2006 World title."My final thanks will always go to my parents, John and June, my daughter Neve and the rest of my family. They have given me above and beyond anything I could have possibly asked for in terms of support and constant encouragement since it all started when I was five years old in my local village Cotgrave (Notts). Words will never be enough as thanks so I just hope I gave them some great memories and experiences in supporting my career. We always celebrated together as a whole family, which are some of my best memories.��I hope my achievements and the way I conducted myself in the game will help to spur on the young players coming through the England set-up so they can follow in my footsteps and be the champions of the future.�Gail Emms paid him the ultimate compliment when she said: �Without a doubt in my mind, Nathan is the best badminton player that Great Britain has ever produced.���His natural talent and almost genius-like qualities stood him out from the crowd and won respect from elite players all around the world. It was an honour and a privilege to play mixed doubles with him. A true legend and icon of the sport.��Adrian Christy, Chief Executive of BADMINTON England, said: �I am not sure I will be able to express the right words to recognise the outstanding contribution that Nathan has made to English and British badminton.��Through the years, England have produced some great players and Nathan is right up there with any name you can think of; he is an exceptional talent and a� person I have been proud to get to know.���He has done so much to put our great sport in the spotlight, not just in England but around the world.��Nathan�s decision brings an end to a remarkably successful era for English badminton following the departure of Gail, Anthony and Donna Kellogg and each of them has set the bar that is inspiring a new generation of talented young players.��I am already speaking with Nathan with regards to keeping him involved in the sport in the same way we have with Gail; they are priceless assets to BADMINTON England.�Thomas Laybourn, Denmark�s 2009 world mixed doubles champion, reflected Robertson�s reputation worldwide when he said: �Nathan is one of the greatest badminton athletes in many, many years. His career has been amazing with a lot of titles.�� �I remember the All England title he won with Gail Emms in 2005 very, very well because I was on the other side of the net. That match was, for me, the beginning on the world stage and I will always remember Nathan for that experience. His coolness on court and his ability to place the shuttles so accurately has always characterised his play.��Thanks a lot, Nathan, for some very good memories, and I wish you the best of luck with your new life after badminton.�Article by William Kings, Photo by BadmintonPhoto

2. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Regular Member

Does anyone know if he's going to become part of the coaching team at Milton Keynes or will he go the same way as Gail?

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Judging by some previous articles, it wouldn't be a good idea just yet. There would be the issue of funding another coach.

4. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Regular Member

Perhaps Robertson isn't suitable for coaching anway, but other retired players such as Emms and Clark should be utilised better. How are they involved in the sport now? Funding is a tricky subject I agree.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    probably not a good idea for someone with such attitude to teach the next generation.

6. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Regular Member

You never know, retirement might humble him :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sure. And pigs might one one day fly..."

8. rexelus

rexelus Regular Member

nathan robertson coaching would be a disaster..

hire anthony clark for tactics then a korean coach for conditioning and English badminton will become a force to be reckoned with

9. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    robertson is not an ideal coach...i can see anthony clark as a good coach though....as a player he was very good at the technical stuff...intelligent play too...

10. CyrusTheGreat

CyrusTheGreat Regular Member

Part timer
    Nathan Robertson is overrated

The way British termed a athlete with the word greatest is just vague. Apart from that one time Olympic silver medal he achieved, he has not doing anything spectacular to even elevate his position to as the greatest. Throughout his career, he is hampered with injuries plus controversies of his influence over the association's management decisions.

To me, he is no big deal. Just a player that comes and goes, not worth remembering. More like the greatest joker from Britain.

11. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    If he went with the decision to concentrate on MD with Anthony Clarke instead of XD , then they would definitely have a chance to be in the Olympic and would still be challenging in major events. And now look what happened to both him and Clark (retired) , bad judgement and decision by Robertson . He might regret it . shame !

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Good riddance to bad rubbish...

13. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Agreed. Unfortunately while he was an ok player his attitude was appalling. Just look at the way he spoke to Gail on court and the miserable faces he used to pull. I’m glad he’s gone and England can try to push other younger players forward. Also like someone said why concentrate on mixed when he clearly wasn’t up to it anymore at world level, the doubles would have been the smart bet. His conditioning was always a problem to me, Iv seen many matches where he faded in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] end. I cant comment if he trained hard enough but it didn’t seem like it, looked like he just tried to use his natural skill.
    But all that said he was one of the best players England has had over the last 10 plus years – what does that say for English badminton?

14. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I still rate Robertson as a player , he is talented and his partnership with Gail was exceptional. World champions , and a silver in the Olympic game , it is a remarkable achievement for Badminton England. Cant wait til the Olympic game in London , Team GB got a great chance in obtaining a medal in XD with Chris and Imogen . It is a slow and steady progress but English badminton would have a greater depth in the near future.

15. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

...er, quite simply, this would be a VERY BAD IDEA