What to do if your partner is taking all of the shots!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hypadunkz, Jun 8, 2012.

1. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

I played with someone yesterday for the first time. First impression of him is a grumpy person he is one those people who hares loosing! So on with the game I was at front and he was at the back. Our opponents made a bad return which in turn led to a mid court smash opportunity for me but although I should be the one taking the shot he rushed in forward and it was as if he tried to nudge me out of the way! He got the shot as I didn't want to destroy my brand new bs15... The game continued to be that way, him nudging me out of place and taking over it would have been better for me just to sit and watch him play alone! I was having a bad day before we started playing so maybe he just didnt trust me enough. But to the point of nit trusting every shot I make is just silly!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He actually pushed you out of the way on other shots as well?

3. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

Yes. It was really annoying as it just destroyed my game even further. I didn't want to be rude so I just let it go as it was just a game.

4. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    i think you should just get a different partner since your teamwork aint working. Spare your suffering and your new bs15 lol, no point winning with a grumpy fella that is like a big bully zzzz

From what i see, you are joining a group, right? Not ppl you used to play with it seems

5. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

Spot on. It was more of a round robin group they play with everybody. I just don't know how i should react next time. I'm not sure if I should refuse to partner with him next time or just do what he did to me on the first game we had but it will make things awkward and a horrible experience.

6. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    From the way you said on your 1st post, it aint going the way you wanted. If you 2 could talk things over, it could loosen up the tension between both of you.

IF things still persist, seriously no point on partnering him .. you would be mostly stuck and cant improve your game. I bet there are some people in charge you could share this predicament? :rolleyes:

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Did he do it when partnering other players?

8. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    From what you described he should have been taking the shot if it was mid-court. It is easier for the rear court player to get the mid court shot than for you to run backwards and take it and potentially leave the front court wide open. You should move sideways in that situation to encourage him to keep rushing forward and then you move back to cover the rear court.

However I appreciate most local league players in the UK don't do this and it is somewhat dependent on what you meant by mid-court.

As for people like that they are just annoying, know that next time or in a few months you will probably be better than him anyway. Fair enough getting a shot if you though it was yours but nudging people out the way isn't very polite. Shouting mine would have sufficed then maybe explaining why it was his shot after the point/ game.

I wouldn't recommend playing his game back to him as you'll lose more concentration than if you tried to play normally and it will follow on into your next game.

9. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

I was already on the spot when he came rushing towards me.. I would mind if it was a league game but considering it was a friendly game is just plain rudeness IMO.

10. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

I couldn't tell as it was the first time I met him.

11. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Ok, Change racket , to a less expensive one , go back on court if he try to get in your way , just smash the shuttle if he wasn't there , if the racket somehow hit his head , then it is his fault , thats the only way he will learn , no pain , no game !

12. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

lol i really like this idea :p

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Consider becoming a huge, roid-head bodybuilder - you'd be surprised how often a look can make some people behave themselves;).

He was right (whether he knew it or not - my guess is "not") about the mid-court smash - the rear-ward player can see more of the opponents and their court than the front guy, but shoving you out the way... I'd have gone and sat down and left him to it - literally. How hard is it to say "mine!"?

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Get a video to show us.

Being a beginner, you get this nonsense treatment at times.

Just train and play more, and be a better player. ;)

15. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Just refuse to play with him.
    Especially in a friendly/social badminton setting, if he's being antisocial and not playing friendly, just refuse to play with him ever again. I mean, is losing a friendly/social game such a big deal and would everyone having a good time be more fun?

You always have a choice with where you play and who you want to play with.
    He can go play singles if he wants to play like that.

I have no patience for antisocial behaviour and we police that a lot in our social badminton club back in Adelaide/Australia.

On a lighter note, I have played doubles where I have a considerably weaker partner and the opponents always hit to them. I could be standing in the middle of the court and they'd continue clearing to my partner at the back corners to keep me out of the point... lol

16. hypadunkz

hypadunkz Regular Member

He could have said that he wanted it rather than me expecting to hit and then end up being shoved to the side. Even if I was the one that would say mine I think i wouldn't have had a chance to say a thing as he was already at my spot.

Next time I play with him I will quickly use my £10 steel racket. so he better be careful because i won't be hesitating to smash it hard!

17. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My coach said the back guy must read the actions of the front guy and adjust accordingly.

18. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Can't you talk to him after a game / when both of you are not playing? It is very rude that he pushed you at of the way rather than saying "mine".

I have my own experiences playing with a guy who takes shots that are clearly mine. Actually, two of them, and I really know them.
    One of them intercepted a net kill where I was standing, it is clearly mine, and I already set it for a kill. It really pissed me. We almost lost the rally. I reacted by saying "aaaahhh!" he smiled then we continued the game. He never intercepted any shots again. Good for me.

The other one, intercepts most of the ready to kill shots. Even if his racquet hits me, after few rallies he'll shout "mine" even if I am at the very position to take the shot. There was a time that I already aimed a powerful smash, he came, jumped, said mine, took the shot then his right foot hit my shin as he landed. He is a heavy one, luckily I only suffered minor bruise. I always react when he does intercepting, but to no avail, he'll just say I said "mine". I'll just keep my temper not to burst.

When I play with the second person I mentioned, I am cautious and watch his movements. If he doesn't want to adjust and I have no choice that he is my partner, I'll just slow down and adjust myself so that I wont be hit again. It does affect my play, but I don't want to get hurt. Yes, he really does piss me...

But as for you, since both of you are new to each other, try to talk while not playing if you can, or try to give him the shots by saying that it is his. Try to adjust first the next time because it was the first time the two of you played together. Try to sense what are his favorite shots and show that you can be a good partner by setting shots for him to smash down. If you adjust and he didn't, the better person is you, not him.

Or... do not play with him again....

#18 nutbad5981, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  19. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Absolutely RIGHT!
    However, you can't assume that the guy at the back does that all the time, which is the problem the original poster was dealing with.

Yes it is very rude. And I agree with your last sentence nutbad...

But again the opening posters problem is that their partner was very rude, wants to win, isn't being sociable and is not playing "doubles" as it should be.

Most experienced players will know where their partners are and will give way to their partners.
    I personally give a lot of shots to my partner and call "YOURS" more often than I call "MINE"

Again, it's a social game and being aware of your partner is paramount.
    Remembering these two points is the reason why I HAVE NEVER broken a racquet in a game due to a racquet clash. [touch wood!]

20. Mojomike

Mojomike Regular Member

Even better, clash with his racket and break it... that is usually more painful.