Need advice on racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Kurodo, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Kurodo

Kurodo Regular Member

Student
    i currently have a iso 95 VF long (which i believe to be a fake :D) and a ti-7 light; both are unstrung cuz i broke em and havent got a chance to restring o.0

Well my primary racket is the ti-7, and ive been thinking of getting a backup or maybe even a replacement for my current racket...

something just doesnt feel right when i smash or clear with the ti-7... like its too light, im not sure if its my technique or my string tension, but i think i'll do better with a heavier and stiffer racket

ti-7 specs:
    3U
    G4
    Tension recommended is 16-20 lbs (it was sent to me already strung, so i dunno the actual tension it was on)

Me as a player:
    Level: hopefully intermediate x.x (i'm on par with my school team's 1-2 varsities, never played a serious game with them, cuz i play for how much i enjoy the game)
    Style: i guess im an offensive singles player, but im trying to lean more towards all around play and cut down on the aggressiveness (just slightly ^^)
    Racket: i havent been using enough rackets to know which suits me, but i want to try something thats stiffer and heavier than the ti-7 (cuz i like smashing, and smashing likes me... heh...)
    Training: I'm Medium Built, currently in my school's cross country team to improve my stamina and leg strength... havent really got to play much badminton (theres not many open gyms in my area T.T)

ok the point... ME NEED RACKET that fits me better than TI-7 LIGHT!!! (omg LIGHT!!... i dunno what my brother was thinking wen he picked LIGHT...), any recommendations? :D

lets just say i was better off playing with the hunk of steel that i had before the ti-7, the only reason i had to get the ti-7 was probly the strings have gotten so loose that i can barely clear it to backcourt... -.- (that and the old hunk of steel was deformed lmao...)

(my post was too long huh, thanks for reading ^^)

#1 Kurodo, Aug 24, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here're my thoughts:

1. The string is a key feature of the racket. According to my expereince, Yonex default string just suck. Thick and loose could be a very bad combo, and can't reflect the real potential of a racket. If possible, get the Ti-7 re-strung with quality string (economic choice: BG65, BG70Pro, power choice: BG65Ti, BG68Ti, Control choice: BG85, etc) with tension of 20+ lb. For int. lvl player, my suggestion is not going for more than 22 at this moment.

2. If u really want to get another racket (plus having enough $$$ to do so), I might suggestion Cab20ms. Depend on ur strength, u can pick either 2U or 3U. Personally, 2U is a little bit heavy for me. This racket is a balanced all around racket. Excellent control with decent power, should somehow match ur request.

Hope this will help a little bit.

3. Kurodo

Kurodo Regular Member

Student
    hmm thanks for the reply

I was looking a little into ti10, cab20, cab20ms, cab23, and cab21

i'd say my budget is around 100 USD... x.x no mp stuff thats for sure, from what i've heard/seen its got a nice history of breakage and its pretty expensive as well...

BG70Pro sounds good :D i'll restring my ti-7 with that, and see how that goes... a replacement still sounds good tho, so i dont just pick up a random racket to play if my racket breaks mid-game...

4. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

or have u tried the yonex Mp 33 or 55 they should be better at smashing i think the Mp 33 is around $90 USD and the 55 is the same price $90 USD

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

personally, i think bg70pro is just barely, BARELY better than factory strings. Control and power are iffy... it's main selling point is its durability... in which case you might as well just stick with factory strings.

6. Kurodo

Kurodo Regular Member

Student
    factory strings = dead :D

ya i read the review on BG70pro, it sounded very much like wut i was playing with... x.x i'm not in a hurry, is there a string that is rough (for control), yet provide good power...? either balanced or slightly more towards power...

i find smooth strings... very annoying.. x.x

bg80 sounds promising... mmmmmm.... theres a durability issue tho, in which case i may in fact need a spare racket...

i read that playing round head rackets can improve technique, which i horribly need ^^;;

anyone know which cab fits a player like me? o.0? or if cabs are a good idea at all... i rather switch to a cab than mp for some reason.. im not all that crazy about iso-head, eventho i started playing using those...

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I know string is personal preference issue, but still have to say, factory string is nowhere near BG70PRO.

The main problem of factory string is not "hard", but it's way too thick (0.75 - .80mm) and too loose (around 16-18 lb). I agree that 70PRO is "hard" when freshly strung, but the performance should be way better than the factory ones, if u use ur own reasonable tension range.

Anyway, seems like BG80 or BG85 are the one u r aiming for. They are 0.68 and 0.67, so, durability might not be as long as 70Pro or BG65. However, there's always trade-offs here or there.

8. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I doubt anyone would bother faking a 95 VF

9. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

wow 16-18 lb consider as loose then what about those recommandation on the ti sp sa which is from 14-18 lb? i am thinking of getting a ti sp sa may i know how much tighter i can string that's still remain in the safe zone, i mean without damaging the frame, please advice.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yonex usually set their rec. tension to be very low. I think this somehow has to do with the warranty concern. As we know, the higher the tension, the more risk we will take in power smash and of course, clashes.

However, I think under 22lb suppose to be a safe range, unless very serious clash, etc. Higher than that, a minor clash might just "wrap" the racket in half.

Of course, u have to draw ur own "line" when decision making is coming.

11. Kurodo

Kurodo Regular Member

Student
    so hard to pick strings @__@, im down to either BG70pro or BG-80
    --Benefits/problems of each--
    BG-70PRO:
    - Has good durability, control, and power
    - Built for hard hitters
    - Not very elastic, stiff, etc
    - Medium thickness
    BG-80:
    - on par with BG-70PRO in control/power
    - Slightly more power than BG-70PRO?
    - Thinner string
    - Less durable

.... would these be correct details? i'm willing to sacrifice extra power for the extra durability in bg70pro... but if theres something else about BG-80 that makes it stand out against BG-70PRO... please tell me x.x

--------
    Ti-7 Light
    Stringing Recommendation-
    Main: 16-18 lbs. (7-8 kg)
    Cross: 18-20 lbs. (8-9 kg)

considering people say yonex put the requirements on lower/safer tensions, i wanna try to string my Ti-7 up to 21/22 (main/cross), would that be wise? x.X
    (note: i am not crazy about killing my racket by stringing it too high :D )

the max main/cross seems to be 18/20, which has a 2 pounds difference, so 20/22? my racket doesnt look like it was built to be strung very high -.-

but seeing as how the ti-7 has MP bumps along the upper half of the racket head, i assume it could handle 22 lbs, maybe more? and i play singles mostly so threat of racket collision is greatly reduced

#11 Kurodo, Aug 25, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2003