Karakal BN60 racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Smashthecock, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Smashthecock

Smashthecock Regular Member

Interior Design
    Hi,

I noticed Karakal have a new BN60 racket, the lightest in the world by some way -60g! Just wondering if anyone's decided to buy one and see what its likes. According to the brochure they have sent me it can be strung to 28lbs which is quite an acheivment for such a light racket. I'm intrigued to know how much power and control it offers???

Jag

2. Neil_fp

Neil_fp Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    I have ordered one of these, it should arrive today.

I have been using the M-TEC SL70 so we will see what the difference is between the two.

If I get chance I will put up a mini review.

3. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    Oh cool, it will be interesting to see if you manage to get any power out of it? Look forward to reading your posting

Jag

4. Neil_fp

Neil_fp Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    Received the racket today! Super light and feels very whippy.

I have strung it up on my Prince 6000 - NBG98 @ 24lbs

I will be playing doubles tomorrow evening so I will test it out then and give some more feedback.

5. Neil_fp

Neil_fp Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    Played with the racket last night. First impression I really like it, but still adjusting to the racket timing etc...

Really good control and decent power for such a light racket, I can see myself buying a few more of these.

I am playing again tonight and tomorrow so I will try and put some more details up after that.

6. purextc69

purextc69 Regular Member

How light is it? I mean my sl80's were brilliant and still are, but 60G seems a little low. I can imagine that defensive shots and net shots would be great, but smashes and clears must take some effort to get any real sting in them...?

7. Neil_fp

Neil_fp Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    Very light, you really notice it. Picking up my old M-TEC SL70 feels heavy! Yep defensive shots and net shots are brilliant with the racket and to be honest I wanst finding any loss of power when clearing, driving and smashing... I think the lighter frame really does produce more whip thus generating the power.

#7 Neil_fp, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    When I used to use the Mtec 70 I used to find my shoulder ached because I was putting so much effort into smashing etc, then I tried the MTec 75, which I have three of now and I find my smashes are as good as other guys using arcsabers etc, but the extra weight seemed to help resolve the shoulder aching. How do your smashes compare to others using heavier rackets for example?

9. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I had the same issue with the MTec 70 (I had 2). I got shoulder problems that would manifest itself after 2 sessions of using it. Then it would go away after I stop using the racket and come back when I used it again. Wierd. I didn't think I could swing any harder than I usually do. Anyways, passed it off to my brother in law who is much better and he doesn't have any issues with it.

10. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    Ahh well your Brother in law has certainly got great rackets then - what do you use to play now?

I have actually just sold off my Yonex 4u Z Force's and Ashaway xt 900's and settled with an old Ashaway racket called the Arch striker 10, this is one of the best all round rackets I have ever used and packs a great punch on smashes. It easily smashes as hard as the other guys in the club with Z slash's etc.

11. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I'm using Panda Power TPro now.
    My brother in law was using Yonex Cab21 for the longest time.

I never had a problem generating power with the MTec70. It was the shoulder that made me give them up. My friend who I convinced to get a MTec70 has the same shoulder issue as I did. He also has no issue generating power with it. At first the shoulder issues didn't happen. I'd say I started getting shoulder pains about 4-5 months of using it. After that it was like a chronic thing that came on very quickly. I used them for almost 2 years before isolating the problem to the racket.

12. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    So are you gonna give the new BN60 ago?

13. Wabbajack

Wabbajack New Member

What is the BP of this? I'm looking for a new defensive racket.

14. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    Probably 29-30, thats been there blue print for most of their rackets

15. Milchflash

Milchflash New Member

satudent
    I play this racket for 3 weeks or like this.
    whats bad ? : your smashes get weaker but its not totaly bad. i think the racket is top-heavy a liddle bit so the smash dont gets realy bad. the grasp is a liddle slim. i have to clean the grasp becouse i get swetted fingers but you can but bigger grips on it.
    the biggest point here is that i tend to make not so clean moves becouse its light.

so why take this racket? :
    good for fast exchanges becouse you just wanna swing this racket around like crazy. very good defensces becauze you need lesser reaktiontime so especially in doubles its very nice. also delaying shoots is very nice and my backhand from a liddle bit lower has improved a liddle. actually my hole playing has improved by just change my racket. and its so fun to play and that should be the biggest reason.

i would say: !!!!taler stronger people should stay away from this racket!!!!. its more for people who like to change direktions quickly and play reaktively and run a lot around the court : )
    i also think that for women double and single its very nice about mixxed i have no idea

16. chongyf

chongyf Regular Member

Senior System Engineer
    Where can I get this racket in Malaysia, specifically in klang valley, thanks

17. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    I have played sl70 for 5 years now. I have to say these kind rackets are for wrist players. They are light you need to whip it fast and string it high. If you generate you power from arm and should, it is not a racket for you. You would be better served by a heaver racket.

18. leeforspeed

leeforspeed Regular Member

19. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    The bn60 was my primary racket before....my game is a mix of control and defense and thus bn60 worked well for me, especially so with a niggling shoulder problem. It is a relatively head heavy racket and thus smashes are decent. Jftr, i strung it with bg66um @ 24lbs. Then again, I'm not those offensive type heavy smashers to begin with.

Ever since I used the arc fb, the bn 60 is now my secondary racket. Imho, I feel that this racket will not suit heavy hitters, and is definitely a doubles racket. At a fraction of the arc fb price, I have no complaints whatsoever.

In sg context, it can be bought for s$130 at queensway shopping centre.

20. Smashthecock

Interior Design
    Can any of you playing with BN 60 take a video of you smashing with it - I am really intrigued as to the power you can get from it? Smashing is a major way of winning points in doubles, and I only play doubles in 3 leagues. I have been using Mtec 75's for ages and they are brilliant brilliant rackets, loads of power, speed and control. But the Bn60 intrigues me?

Jag