How long will it take for me to adjust Voltric-Z from Arc10/7?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Whittalboy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

So, today I bought Z-Force and tried it. I didn't like it... I am wondering how long it will take me to adjust this racquet. Maybe it's not the matter of time? maybe this racquet was never meant for my style? I don't know. Can you share your thoughts if you have any?

My Voltric Z-Force SPEC----------------------------

* 4U (It's the lighter one just in case you forgot)
    * BG66UM on 27 lbs
    * Took out the given base-grip and used
    * KST317 Under Wrap (Kimony)
    * KGT119 Punched Spiral Grip (Kimony)
    The chances are that you have not tried this kind of gripping so, just to give you a very simple idea, the grip I used is basically very very thin.

My Arc 10/7 SPEC-------------------

*4U
    *BG80 on 28lbs
    *The same gripping method as I have mentioned in the above.

Intro to my previous badminton------------------
    So, in the entire time I've spent on badminton, I've never ever used any other racquets than Arc10 and 7. So, the change with the Voltric, a very head-heavy racquet may of course give me some trouble adapting it. In addition, I've never ever used BG66UM before. Looking at the spec of BG66UM I've always thought I'd like it but whenever my string broke, the 66UM was out of stock so, never had the chance to try it.

How I felt about Voltric Z---------------
    *Repulsive.
    *Heavy, slow.
    *None of the shots came natural to me other than Slice-Drop Shot.

Ultimately....-----------------------
    I've written all the things above to give you the best possible idea. Now, what do you think? Do you think it's the matter of time? Or do you think I'm just more of a slight head-heavy to balanced head-heavy person who never will get used to such racquets like the Voltric? What do you think? I wish I could video myself and post here...

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    How long's a piece of string?

You're asking a very subjective question. Everyone is different, have different preferences, styles, different abilities and play at different levels. You can't expect anyone to answer... "by the 22nd day of ownership you will play harmonously with your newly acquired racquet!"

Also, if all you have played with is an Arc 7 and 10 (which I personally don't think are racquets I would recommend a novice) you probably haven't played for very long. To that end - do you really need to be playing with top of the range racquets and would they really make that much difference at this stage?

The information you have given above re: grips, strings etc have no bearing on how long it will take for you to adapt to your new racquet. Essentially, it is all down to you! You may never get on with this racquet!

3. Whittalboy

Thanks for the comment :)
    What do you mean by how long's the string? I don't string it by myself. I get strung from local Yonex store.
    I can see why you'd say the question is too subjective. That's a fine response. I kind of expected that anyway haha.
    Arc 10/7 are the first ever racquets that I bought so of course, I was the novice back then?

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

"how long is a piece of string" - a question that has no definite answer.
    "how long will it take me to get used to this racket" - a question that has no definite answer.

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it seems someone watched the horizon? :D

I can only say this, if it does not suit you
    time to sell it

there is no point on using a stiffer and much head heavier than an arcsaber 10 and 7
    if you force it, you will blame everything bad to your racket,
    and at the end, it will be in your bag, gathering dust

6. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

I have a question, after how long of using a racket should you decide its just not for you. 3-4 months maybe? I feel like after that long of using a racket if your still feeling iffy or unsure it just might not be for you...

7. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

How often do you play? I usually can tell in a week - one month if the racket is for me or not. For me, firstly, I would string the rackets to my ideal tension using the ideal strings that I like. And I just do drills with it, play games with it. If you feel like you can't do the shots that you can normally do with the racket that you use to use before or you yearn to use that racket and ditch the new one, chances are, the racket isn't for you.
    Just keep hitting around and compare it to your other racket(s) that you use now.

8. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    In order to get used to the racquet, I think it would be good to have a long warm-up and hit overhead shots in a slower pace as your normal shots. Hit drops, clears, smashes at a slower speed than your normal swing. Speed up your swing as you get used to the racquet.

This will allow your muscles to get used to the swing of the racquet and perhaps hit with more accuracy. As your build your muscle memory with the length, head size, swing speed of the racquet, it will be easier to play with as time goes on.

That is when you can decide whether you legitimately like the racquet or not.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    IMO, 1 month is more than enough if you play more often (maybe around 16 hours of playing?) this should tell you if the racket fits you or not

try and see, if it is too slow to your liking, hurting your arms, then this racket is not for you

10. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    If you are really keen to use the Zf as a main racquet, suggest you to use it all the time when you play and maybe sell off your arc 10? the zf is totally different racquet from the arc series BUT it will do you wonders once you are able to master the racquet and timing etc... I used to use head heavy racquets and once i bought my ns9900, i used it only for a month and coming now its my best racquet ever!! smashes i can say tbh i can yeild more faster and more powerful from my other racquets.. but you need to give it time and patience, just bring 1 racquet to the court (others keep as spare in the bag) and use it from start to finish to really get the hang of it.. problem is since its heavy-er, can one really maximise and utilise the racquet to the fullest? I cant use my VT80 to the fullest since my arm and wristwork is not good but others can.. so yeah, but give it time, and try to get the 'feel' of it first :) I now know i can maximise the ns9900 to the fullest when i play and now am selling off everything that i have to fund me another 2 pieces of the ns9900.. hope it helps! cheers~!

11. Footwork_816

Ah man :( I guess I was just hoping the Z-force was for me but really knew it wasn't...Its not that it feels bad but its just that I feel unsure about it/iffy. I feel much more comfortable with my Lethal 70 which I have used for like 2 months than my z-force which I have used for a month...I play for 10 hours a week in a club but you can probably add 2 hours of hitting the bird against my wall at my home...

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Arcsaber 10 & 7 does not come in 4U. They only come with 2U & 3U.
    Are you sure that you own 4U Arc 10 & 7 ?

13. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

I feel you man. I also own a vtzf and I am changing it to my main racket. I can hit some nice clean shots with it but its not consistent enough. For example, sometimes my overheads lose a lot of power because I time it right but I miss hit the bird (not directly onto the sweetspot) However, this is something I can improve on by playing more and I am hoping to use the vtzf to its fullest potential or I'll be forced to sell it lol. So like you, I am in the same process LOL

Yeah you seem like you play a lot, you should be able to tell if its for you :) listen to your heart, I know it sounds cheesy, but don't force yourself to play with something that you can't use efficiently!

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    How long does it take for you to adapt to VTZF is very difficult question to answer. Nonetheless, i want to give suggestion to you. Since you are playing with Arc 10 & Arc 7 with BG80, in my opinion you should restring your VTZF to BG80 as well, might be 1 pound less in the string tension.

15. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry

I think it will take as long as it takes you to change your swing and game. But if it doesn't work for you, why do you want to force yourself to adapt to it? Why not get a racquet that does work for you instead?

16. Whittalboy

I play 5~7hours a day except sunday. Yeah, I should've just strung with BG80 instead of going for an adventure... :(
    Arc10/7 to me seems just fine but I since I've never tried other racquets, I am no where in a position to say that Arc10/7 are the best racquets right? I just wanted to find THE BEST one for me.

You are right. They are both 3U.
    Thank you!
    Wow, change from Zf to NS9900? that's huge!
    When you first tried NS990, didn't you feel that your power didn't seem to extend fully with NS9900? Thus, forced you to use more strength/wrist?
    Agreed. Kinda a bit late now though...

17. Footwork_816

haha but I want 19 kg of force smashes!!! lol no your right I shouldn't try forcing myself to adapt to this racket...guess its time to trade/sell it...

18. Whittalboy

My pure goal is to find 'the racquet' for me. I'm questioning myself if really Zf is not for me or is it because I've been so used to Arc10/7 since the beginning of my badminton that it will just take some time to get used to it.
    I don't even know if Arc10/7 are the best racquets for me since they are the only racquets I have tried. Arc10/7 are just fine to me but maybe there is a better one that I just don't know about? :eek:
    This is what I want to find out.

19. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    It take me 2 weeks to adapt to the ZF. In the past I always use the Ashaway Repulsor Series. ZF is my main racquet now:D

20. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    Not really, i feel that the ns9900 is the extension of my wrist! I can dare say my smashes are stronger and consistent in power on continuous smashes compared to as when i used my ZF because i cannot carry and maximise the ZF's full potential :)