I can't seem to smash unless I have a head heavy racquet?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DenniSinneD, Jun 14, 2012.

1. DenniSinneD

DenniSinneD Regular Member

Student, Store Clerk
    Whenever I try playing with a head light or even balanced racquet my smashes always end up going flat and weak.
    Only with a head heavy racquet can I hit good, powerful, steep smashes.
    I love the control and maneuverability I get with even balanced racquets but I can never seem to hit the power shots.
    How do train myself to be able to hit power shots using lighter headed racquets?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

once you've reached the max limit of your swing speed (assuming proper technique eg. pronation, body weight transfer, etc) for a particular racket, you've reached the max kinetic energy that you can impart onto the bird... ie. you won't be able to smash any harder

unless you change to a head heavier racket with a greater swing weight (ie. mass)

no other way around the physics of it

but there are advantages of a balanced racket that you can use ... instead of raw smash power of a head heavy racket, you can use its better maneuverability for accurate well placed shots to force your opponent to give weaker replies so that you can go in for the kill or make them commit errors

all depends on your style of play

#2 visor, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Assuming your technique is right, you shouldn't have a problem adjusting to different balance racquets. It's just a case of timing it correctly. Some people adjust quicker than others, but it's all in your mind. Don't think of it as a completely different racquet (essentially its only a few grams difference) and don't rush into playing a hard smash, start with half smashes and gradually work into full smashes.

Another idea is to add a few weights on your head light racquets and gradually reduce the weights so you can have an easier transition.

4. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Can't say for sure, never having seen you play, but chances are it's your footwork.

In order to smash with a head-light racquet, you have to get behind the shuttle, to the point where the shuttle is in front of you when you make contact with it. This is actually the correct technique for all smashes, regardless of balance point, but a head-heavy racquet let's you get away with improper footwork because the weight of the racquet will make up for the fact that you're not in the correct position.

Especially when playing flatter and/or faster games (mostly doubles), sometimes you will find that you don't have time (or the technique) to get behind the shuttle and you end up contact the bird directly above your head or even behind your head. When you do this, you tend not to use all the muscles you should be using to generate power. Racquets that are not head-heavy won't let you get away with this (unless you have great forearm/pronation technique).

If you can, have someone feed shuttles to you while you are standing at the back of the court and see if you can smash with a head-light racquet when you have all the time in the world to contact the bird in front of you. If your smashes seem fine in this scenario, then it's 100% a footwork thing.

I play with an even-balance racquet but I do switch to head-light every so often because it forces me to play with immaculate footwork.