BWF World Ranking

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nbonkowsky, Jun 15, 2012.

1. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    The BWF world rankings are updated Thursday every week so that would have been yesterday Thursday June 14, 2012. The M&Q report for Canadian Open GP came out today and I saw that there was a player ranked in the 1000's. That seemed so weird to me. I was unable to check the rankings yesterday but seeing that made me want to see what was up. When I went to check my world ranking today I noticed that now there are 1603 players ranked in the world. The vast majority of players in the 1000's have only one tournament result. When did the BWF change it that if you play one international you will get ranked? It use to be that you had to play in 2 international tournaments in a 12 month period to be ranked.

This is for all events not just singles. I don't remember reading anything on the BWF website about the change to the format of the world rankings. Anybody have any insight on this or did I miss the memo somewhere.

On the plus side that now makes me 388/1603 in men's singles, so that makes it seem a more impressive world ranking =P

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

nbonkowsy, congratulations on your (relative) rise in the rankings! :)
    You may play as a Trini, but we Canadians have a right to feel pride in you too.

Is it possible that the BWF is trying to make "non-traditional" badminton countries feel better about themselves by giving rankings to just about everyone? Does it supplement a member country's manpower strategy to see how their younger up-and-comers rank internationally as well as nationally? Or perhaps it's an issue of financial support to a player in their club/city/province/country if they can prove they have international ranking points.

#2 Fidget, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Thank you Fidget well there are quite a few other Canadians located in the local vicinity of those numbers as well were kinda all grouped together.

That could be a thing for sure, I mean its true lots of country players are not able to attend many tournaments due to funding issues. To only attend one international and not have any world ranking to show from it could be very discouraging for sure. I can see it being helpful for tournaments more so in qualification where a player may have played one international but would not appear on the world rankings. So I can see this way easier for determining the order of which to place "un ranked" players in the qualification rounds since now their one tournament would give them a rank over players that have played none.

Regardless of their reasons I wonder if they will keep the implementation for a long term thing or if it is just a trial. I cant complain about it cause it does make it a more true "world ranking" in a sense.

4. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

i also recognized the change in the rankings. the question also is, why was there a minimum of 2 played tournaments in order to get ranked? seems a bit weird to me.. so i think it's okay the way it is now.

i also opened a topic about another slight change in the rankings or to be more precise on the tournamentsoftware page. since some days you cant see the player's "date of birth" (in a player's profile on tournamentsoftware.com) anymore and i dont know why they removed this. see my thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...tware-player-profiles-not-showing-age-anymore

5. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    The ranking system does not mean much , especially if outside the top 50 , there is nothing much in term of ability but to how many tournaments entered . Players get good number of points from just entering a SS, GP , GP(g) tourney and loses in the first round.

Lets say if I am ranked i.e 150th in the world ( representing the USA and have strong financial backing), that does not mean much , because I believe there are over 500 players in countries like china ,Malaysia etc that would beat me . If you are lucky enough to have the funding and can travel around the globe to play in different tournaments , and that you do have some potential, your ranking is bound to go higher . It just p*ss me off that there are players within china , Malaysia that have the talent , but are not given a chance of showing the world what they can do because of financial reasons

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

hey, well done.
    you've up another two places.

7. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

yes, that is what i was wondering, too? why do players get points for JUST entering a tournament? for example it's not like that in tennis. if you lose first round => 0 points. this should also be like that in badminton. of course a player needs to have a certain ranking to get to the Maind Draw of SS or GG, but still it's not okay to get points for a lose in the first round.

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I disagree with the point above.

Badminton isn't like tennis, badminton players have very little financial support and funding. Players who play on the lower levels of the circuit (GP, IC, IS events) are very much on their own independent of everyone. They are unable to compete on a full time basis, and often attend University or have a job to attend to. Many players are competing with money that they've earned through work WITHOUT national association support. They get the cheapest seats on the plane, the cheapest hotel near the venue, constantly looking for ways to save money as they simply don't have the funds. This is totally different from Tennis, they stay in nice hotels, have various support through a team that travels with them throughout the world staying in nice hotels.

In badminton the prize money is so little that it's impossible for players ranked outside the top 50 or so to play full time... This is different to tennis.

If you to award 0 points for a first round loss, I can guarentee you that this will reduce the numbers of overseas participants in tournaments? Is this good for the game? No. Points for a first round loss is essential especially as there isn't prize money for first round loses at lower levels. In tennis it's different, even at minor tournaments they may not get points, but they get some money which is different to badminton.

Sorry for the minor rant :)

Edit: I think it's good that they have introduced this "1 tournament" rule for the singles events. It means that the M&Q list will be more representative. However it shouldn't apply to doubles, the notional points system is good already for that...

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think your image of tennis is only slightly :)D) romanticized ... ;)

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Possibly... But one of my friends cousins is a professional tennis player, and although they are ranked about 200 in the world, they have financial support, expenses paid for them, access to quality coaching, sparring partners etc. if they lose first round, then it's not that big a deal, most of the money that got them to that tournament came from the tax payer/sponsors/grants/lottery funding... Completely different to badminton...

11. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    True, the prize money (winners) for some of those tournaments is not even enough to pay for the flight , so the ranking points are important for those traveling players.

I just seen the draw for the US open which is a grand Prix gold tourney ,and they have so many US based badminton players in the main draw , that are not ranked in the top 500 , so their ability to enter the tournament can be question, however, even if they loses the first round , they will still get plenty of ranking points , and be establish in the world ranking, . I cant believe that some US pairing are even playing against each other in the 1st round, so one pairing with unknown quality can be advance to the next round with more ranking point to be picked up.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think it is common knowledge UK tennis players are overfunded but that doesn't mean it is the same for all tennis players. Tennis is a much more expensive sport to begin with ... before those 5* hotels and whatnot come into the picture ;). But for both badminton and tennis players alike seems those that are in it for the long haul are usually from families that are reasonably well off to begin with ... (also a generalization :p, but not far off as far as the Western hemisphere goes imo)

#12 demolidor, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The tournament is right before the Olympics and it is only understandable that most players would skip it. It's a great chance to pick lots of easy points if you're a top player.

He pours are important, the prize money is poor, so doing well in these tournaments helps you pick up points and get entry into larger tournaments where the money is better (but the competition tougher)

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

yes they are over funded, I can't remember the exact figure that they receive, but I can tell you it's a lot more than the funding for badminton. The person I know, is from a reasonably well off family so you're right in that respect :)

15. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Yes , getting in to larger tournaments and continuously getting knock out in the 1st hurdle in less than 30 minutes play, lol ..........still plenty of ranking point thou !

16. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member