Need somewhere to play consistently (Vancouver)

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by gianm, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gianm

gianm Regular Member

Student
    So i've been in Vancouver for a few years now and tried out a few badminton spots. I was in UBC's badminton club and I've tried coaching at Clearone but I've yet to find a group/place to play at a high level consistently. I consider myself somewhat advanced so I was wondering if people might recommend places?

I was thinking about trying out Vancouver Racket club, does anyone know that level of play there and what it's like in general? I saw they offer coaching, is that open to all members at no extra cost?

2. grappler

grappler Regular Member

Every time someone says their skill level I have no idea what that means. How long had you been playing and what is your competitive experience like? Do you actively compete in tournaments? How well do you place in these tourneys? Also helps to know if you are male or female and if you play singles or doubles.

The unfortunate thing about the badminton scene around here is it's very cliquish. In my experience the higher level players are more stand off ish. Some of them don't want to play with lesser talented players. They just want to stick with their own crew. I found it hard to get respect unless I beat them or at least give them a very competitive match.

Did you do the Clear 1 group lessons? I heard that they assess your skill level first and place you into the correct class. It is too bad you couldn't find suitable playing partners through that.

Sounds like you are interested in finding a drop in with high level players. With any drop in there level of talent will be a mixed bag. My advice is to try drop ins all over and become friends with the higher level players. I have a good group of people I play with and it was because we ended up having competitive matches. Just be friendly, have a good attitude and show up consistently. You'll eventually
    find your wolf pack.

#2 grappler, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  3. gianm

gianm Regular Member

Student
    ^ Apologies. some more info.

I'm a male doubles player, haven't played any singles in quite a long time. I was part of the adult elite group lessons at clear one. I haven't played competitively in quite some time either (although with some work I imagine I could).

I've found the same thing about cliques, another reason why I'm looking here, its hard to break into groups. Sometimes people just dont want to include people regardless of what happens. I've tried a few drop ins at clear one but found it to be too inconsistent.

Also if anyone has experience with VRC that would be helpful, I'm thinking of trying it out.

4. grappler

grappler Regular Member

From what I know, VRC is a members only club. You can only get in if you are a member or are a guest of a member. Other places that may be in your area are Richmond Pro and Badminton Vancouver. The last one hasn't officially opened yet.

I'd call community centres for their drop in times as well. There are some pockets of talent all over the place and people bounce around from location to location. If you are serious about finding good competition you'll have to bounce around and ask the better players you meet where else they play and what the talent level is. I myself frequent 3 different locations.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

great info from grappler already

you'll have to go to drop ins to connect with some good players your level... most people are friendly if you're friendly, and it'll show especially in how you behave on court and off court. eg. line calls, body smashes, etc

vrc has 2 drop in sessions, one on friday and saturday night 11pm-2am(?). check out their website for info, you have to sign up ahead if you're not a member.

6. monkeylee

monkeylee Regular Member

Come join me at badminton vancouver i go all the time and am looking for new people to play with