06-19-2012, 06:39 PM #35
btw, shuttlecock101 is the west coast distributor for Aeroplane. so if they get inferior quality ones, that probably means Aeroplane has started lowering the quality of their shuttlecocks.
06-19-2012, 06:56 PM #36
I think that explains why these degraded ones all over the places.
Let's make a guess, there was a batch during the end of last year and early this year that has this degraded head materials. Whether the manufacturer planed to do it or not, they may also find out that the quality is not good, but most recent ones are back to what they used to have,hopefully.
There was a long delay for new stock early this year, so it may have something to do with these degraded ones. They tried it and didn't work, and took too long to get good cock material.
Again, it is just too good for faked ones. Only reasonable reason is that these are new material tryout batches and didn't work out well. Unfortunately, it cannot be recalled, I think.
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM #37
as mentioned, i got a tube of Aeroplane Black from a local shop which got their stock from shuttlecock101.com recently.
for the first step, i am comparing the difference in packaging between my stock from 2 yrs ago and the new one.
i tear away partly the plastic wrap on the tube. having opened dozens of Aeroplane black before, i immediately noticed that the material of the wrap used is different. the new one is more stretchy while the old one breaks very crisply.
beyond that it is mostly on the wrapping paper as shown in the photos. on each of the photos, the left one is the new one, and the right one is the old one.
the picture of the shuttlecock is different:
this is what badder says, the new one says made in Jiangsu Province.
various diagrams and fonts are all different, even the BWF logos are different.
06-19-2012, 09:07 PM #38
and this is the photo of the two.
left one is new.
right one is old.
and this photo pretty much shows the exterior differences that we have observed.
difference in font, and difference in leather material.
there is also the loose string end from the knot in the new one.
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM #39
There is one more package variance. The left one is new, same as your new one, but the right one is newer than your old one and older than the new one.
They added JIANGSU PROVINCE on the English side, but not on Chinese side. And the bar code is on Chinese side as the newest.
What's odd is that the tube I took out yesterday is the only tube that is the same as the right one, all left 49 tubes are the same as the left one. I don't really know what happened.
06-20-2012, 02:53 AM #40
Greetings fellow badminton enthusiasts and players,
First of all, thank you all very much for the fantastic support and love over the years for the Aeroplane shuttlecocks, and special thanks to the BC forum for bringing us together to enjoy this fantastic sport of badminton!
We have heard your concerns loud and clear, and are actively communicating with the factory now to try to resolve the issue. We truly appreciate you bringing this finding to our attention.
We will do our best to give you the answers you deserve shortly. Your support is greatly appreciated, especially at this time.
We do believe that we all have good intentions and are here for the same goal, and that is to make the highest performing shuttlecocks affordable to all of us. Badminton has enriched our lives so much and we are proud to be part of it and we hope to make it even more enjoyable and economical.
Until the issues are fully resolved, we would like to clarify a few things that we do know to the best of our knowledge:
1. Every single shuttlecock ever sold by shuttlecock101.com is 100% authentic, guaranteed!
2. All shuttlecocks are acquired by shuttlecock101.com are from the one and only factory that makes and owns Aeroplane shuttlecocks: the Shanghai Badminton Co. (The name of the company may have changed during the last few years; however, the Aeroplane brand has not.)
3. Based on the information we obtained from the factory and the sole distributor in the USA, there has never been a single report for a fake Aeroplane EG1130 shuttlecock in the last 3 years in the US market. Thus, the chance of fake Aeroplane shuttlecocks being distributed in any meaningful scale in the US is very low, as of right now.
4. The factory is indeed located outside of Shanghai as it was moved many years ago due to cost reasons. Not many labor intensive products are made in Shanghai City anymore, just as not many are made in the USA anymore. The headquarter remains in Shanghai.
5. We did verify that the corks of shuttlecocks from recent batches are indeed made from 3 layers, with the middle layer being synthetic material and two remaining layers of natural cork. We are as concerned as you are, and solutions are being actively worked on. We are pretty sure it is due to cost or shortage of natural cork material reasons by doing so.
6. All the changes that you have noticed, whether the fonts or the texts on the tube or the shuttlecock or the cartons, are authentic changes as confirmed by the factory. They are NOT indications that the tubes or birdies are fake, at least not from the pictures posted in this thread so far.
We would like to ask for your help to support Aeroplane shuttlecocks during this time by doing the following:
1. Please make constructive suggestions on how we can make the shuttles better and affordable.
2. Please do not help spread rumors that are not verified by the factory or trusted sources.
3. Please keep an eye for any potential fake products, for all of us.
4. Please post any questions or concerns and we will do our best to answer them.
Thank you very much, again!
06-20-2012, 03:19 AM #41
Since everyone loved the old ones, how about reverting them back?
06-20-2012, 03:49 AM #42
06-20-2012, 04:44 AM #43
Dear fellow badminton enthusiasts and players,
We would like to report some more updates to the issue:
- There is a worldwide shortage for the natural cork material. In fact, the material is in such a high demand that the price has increased by several folds in the past few years. It will get even worse due to limited resources, pretty much like the shortage of wood and only much worse. Those trees cannot grow enough or faster, unfortunately.
- Even if they can get them and pay for the super high price, they may never get enough for the high end shuttlecock market, which is also on the rise.
- You might have noticed that even some of the corks for the high end wines are no longer made of whole cork oak due to the higher cost and shortages.
- All EG1130, SG1130 and G1130 that are sold in the US market are 100% made from goose feather. And Aeroplane is the only one factory that can still make the claim.
- A special series of EG1130 that would have the all natural cork is being discussed and evaluated. Please allow sometime. Basically, reverting back the old ones and it will cost more.
In short, the cost of materials and labor are on the rise, fast, as well as the high end badminton market. This is the worst combination for the consumers, as well as for the factories.
We would also like to conduct a survey to better serve all of us:
- How much did you experience the 3 layer cork affecting the quality (flight, durability and consistency) of the EG1130? From you own experience, please.
A. Did not really notice the performance difference, just the look of the shuttles.
B. 5% worse in performance.
C. 10% worse in performance.
D. 15% or more.
- Do you think it is worth the same percentage of increase in price for the shuttlecock material to be reverted back to all natural cork? Yes or No.
- If "No" on #2, do you think it is worth an 8% to 10% of increase in price for the shuttlecock material to be reverted back to all natural cork? Yes or No.
The percentages of the price increase mentioned above are totally hypothetical and for survey purpose only. They were NOT informed or suggested by the factory, as those are still unknown until the factory finalized the details with their suppliers.
Thank you, again, for your support!
Last edited by goodfunsmash; 06-20-2012 at 04:49 AM.
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM #44
I was at a local store that were selling Chao Pai shuttles. They had several shuttles cut open so you could see the cork material. There was a direct correlation in price to cork material. The more cork it had...the higher the price.
I guess if you want all cork...you have to pay the price.
06-20-2012, 10:29 AM #45
I have asked a few friends who have been using Aeroplane Black for years and want to know if they noticed anything. They either already or are going to switch to other brand. So this is already the answer. I bought mine because I didn't know the material has been changed.
I personally have tried many top grade shuttlecocks from Aeroplane, RLS, Chaopai, Victor and so on. The only reason I like the Black label is the head. The Victor Champion#1 or RLS Classic are not natural cock material. I don't know how Chaopai Red is doing. It was all natural cock.
If my memory is correct, the Aeroplane Green label never used all natural cock. However, I don't recall that the head of Green label deformed this badly as this batch of Black label. Basically, this batch head material is not up to the top grade, even just compare with other brand that doesn't use all natural cock.
Rating the performance is not easy. It has more to do with personal feeling. If you ask me, I feel like it get worse more than 50%. It destroyed the brand name.
I don't understand why using three layer structure. Using a thin layer natural cock on the feather side doesn't improve any performance but only makes it look better, like plastic surgery, useless, cheating. Why not add that portion to the bottom to make the head side a little more stronger, if any?
Last edited by badder; 06-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM #46
Cork availability has been dwindling for many years now. Many wine makers have resorted to various artificial enclosures which not only cost less but is more effective!
It goes to show if there is enough research, a technology will be developed to improve things, even in a highly traditional industry like wine which takes years to change.
If wine can do it, badminton can.
gundamzaku liked this post
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM #47
06-20-2012, 10:34 AM #48
@badder - I just bought Chao Pai Red (see Chao Pai thread) from a local store. I'll post my findings there when I destroy one during play. Sadly from my bad technique rather than a strong powerful smash.
06-20-2012, 10:36 AM #49
06-20-2012, 10:39 AM #50
06-20-2012, 10:41 AM #51
By tenggk in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you postReplies: 1: 02-24-2011, 03:51 AM
By diablomega116 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you postReplies: 3: 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
By spi02 in forum ShuttlecockReplies: 5: 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
By RSX in forum ShuttlecockReplies: 21: 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM