Fix your broken badminton racket handle

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by JeeCee, Jun 19, 2012.

1. JeeCee

JeeCee New Member

2. phili

phili Regular Member

Few weeks too late for me so I had to work it out myself but still a good job ;) Everything went well though. I also used a two component glue and I think it is really important that you use a very strong glue.

3. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

Same thing happened to my friend! Broke two of his handles as well!

4. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Indeed, the worker cut the handle too deep after applying the grip. A manufacturing defect imho. I would like to add that using regular/slow epoxy is much better than 5min/fast one, and using less brittle epoxy is even better if possible. Also, why not file off the wood and reuse the original clone? Looks much better imho. And like any glue, surface preparation is everything. Making the inner surface of the cone rough (320 grit sandpaper) and then clean with lacquer thinner before applying epoxy. Apply more epoxy than needed and then squeeze it out. Just clean it with alcohol before cure. This will produce much tougher bond. :)

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That's a really good instructable, good work!

I'm surprised at how short the carbon shaft is to be honest. I would have thought it would need to be at least an inch longer so it can embed itself into the handle more.

6. JeeCee

JeeCee New Member

@victorgabriel1
    Are it also Yonex rackets? And if it's still possible, could he verify if it's also a manufacturer defect (cut in the wood like you can see in my pictures)?

@wlachan
    Thanks for the feedback, I just used some epoxy I had lying around. Reusing the original cone isn't always that easy. On my first racket, I reused it, but with the second racket I had to damage the cone to get it removed from the shaft.

@R20190
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. The handle is really interesting because the wood they use is very light, very soft and breaks very easily. If it wasn't for the plastic cone, the handle would break the first time you would use it.