Los Angeles Mission College, Sylmar - Recreational Badminton open to ALL level.

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Pong Smart, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Pong Smart

Pong Smart Regular Member

Scientist
    What: Recreational Badminton open to ALL level at Los Angeles Mission College in Sylmar

When
    : Thursday 6:30pm - 8:30pm with 9 lighted indoor courts available, starting this week from Jun 21-Aug 23, 2012

Where
    : Los Angeles Mission College Health, Fitness and Athletic Complex (HFAC) located on the new East Campus 12890 Harding Street, Sylmar, CA 91342 nearest cross street is Eldridge. It is about 5 blocks to the south of the main Mission College campus.

How much
    : $4.00 per drop-in or 10 sessions for $40 payable at the Fitness Center

Badminton racket & plastic birdies will be provided if you don't have one. Or you can bring your own.

Contact Steve Ruys at (818) 364- 7891 or (818) 364-7621 email: at ruyssc@lamission.edu
    2nd contact Pong Nimnual at (310) 877-3951 or at pongnim@yahoo.com

Hope to see you there!

PONG

2. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

How was the first session? What level of players showed up there? any feeback on the courts?

Thanks.

3. Pong Smart

Scientist
    There were about 15 players last Thursday. 2 were advanced, 6 were intermediate, 4 were beginners, and 3 have never played before. Courts were brand new with locker & shower available. The most complaints were the lighting seemed a little too bright but we can adjust it by dimming them the next time. Hope to see this week.

PONG

4. wickeddrop

Thanks...

I will try and make it out this thursday...i would say im a B/C+ player.

5. Pong Smart

Scientist
    O.K. and pls tell all of your badminton friends about it. The more people show up, the better chance we can have this going year round and with longer hours. Thanks!

6. wickeddrop

I will definitely spread the word...Pong , what level do you conisder yourself as a player? Advanced?

Thanks

7. Pong Smart

Scientist
    I've been playing off & on for almost 20 years now but I'd say I'm just an intermediate player. I don't like to compete in tournament. Win or lose is not that important to me, I just like to play for fun and get a good workout from it. I'd always tell people, it's better to lose and get a good workout than to win and get no workout. So if I'm playing against weaker opponent, rather than beating the hell out of them and win by 10 pts and get no workout, I usually hit it right back to them and I'd try to defend their smashes so that I'll get more workout from it and they don't lose so badly. Thanks for asking.

8. Pong Smart

Scientist
  9. wickeddrop

Pong,

The meetup site saysnthe time starts at 6pm, not 630pm, can you verify which is correct?

Thanks

10. Pong Smart

Scientist
    The start time has been moved up to 6 pm so that you all can get a bit more playing time for your money. And not to worry, we had about 15 people last time. Not everyone who came belongs to MeetUp so there should definitely be more than 4 people there tomorrow. Plenty of free parking on the cross street, Eldridge Avenue, right in front of the gym. See you tomorrow!

11. Pong Smart

Scientist
    The start time has been moved up to 6 pm so that you all can get a bit more playing time for your money. And n<span style="color: rgb(103, 103, 103); font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">ot to worry, we had about 15 people last time. Not everyone who came belongs to MeetUp so there should definitely be more than 4 people there tomorrow.&nbsp;</span><span style="color: rgb(39, 39, 39); font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(230, 232, 235); ">Plenty of free parking on the cross street, Eldridge Avenue, right &nbsp;in front of the gym.&nbsp;</span><span style="color: rgb(103, 103, 103); font-family: verdana, geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">See you tomorrow!</span>