Badminton Using Squash Racket

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Aug 29, 2003.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Have anyone use Squash racket to train for their badminton? Share your experience and how to do it.

2. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    I haven't tried a squash racquet on the badminton court. However I have played a couple hours of squash before playing a few hours of badminton. I find that I get more aggressive in badminton after squash. I've always been a little too defensive. Also I seem to get quicker in movement and strokes. I definitely seem to play better badminton after playing some squash first.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Ic ic.. i wonder why those badminton player use the squash racket for..

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thin k it is to increase strength in drives etc, when you return to "normal racket" then will feel much easier. Wouldnt reccomend doing full swings however as could damage shoulder, stick to the drives.

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

One of my previous coaches brought up something called a "memory workout". Swinging a heavier racket (whether it being a squash, tennis, or racketball racket) is a memory workout for your wrist muslces.

As silly as this may sound, i'm just using the following as an example..

Think of the wrist muscle as a brain. When swinging the "heavy" racket as FAST as you can, vertically or full stroke, you are giving your muscle something heavy to swing at (to store in it's memory/brain). When going back to a badminton racket, because it is light, your muscles will go back to it's "memory" and realize that this is not a "heavy" racket and will therefore allow you to swing the racket a lot faster than before.

6. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    I train using squash racket hitting birdie against wall. It's mainly for wrist power and faster reaction.

My coach trains me using squash racket too, but only restrict to driving so far.
    Will do sets of 3 x 20 shuttles drive using squash racket then switch to badminton racket for another 3 sets on one side of the court, before moving over to the other part of the court and repeating the procedure.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you got bad technique, don't bother using squash racquet - it will only increase your strength in doing a poor technique shot. ie reinforce bad technique.

Not knowing how to use it properly for a badminton stroke may also cause you injury problems.

Kaffie must be getting some professional training:)

8. Confused

Confused New Member

Student
    One of my old clubs bought 20 squash racquets to use regularly in practise. We used them mostly for defensive training, switching between the squash racquet and the badminton racquet.

But as Cheung points out. It doesn't help your technique, it just improves your strenght. I have not seen anyone used it in practise for a long time. It was very hot for a while....

9. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed

Ya it's best that you make sure you are hitting the birdie correctly, sometimes you will tends to swing your arm when doing the drive and hitting the birdie with your racket bed slanting at 45 degree especially when your wrist is tired.

Better to have someone there to make sure your technique is right.

Some of the professional players I observed, while they were training before and during the Singapore Open, carry a squash racket or tennis racket in their bag.
    They used it mainly for warming up and doing the drive.

10. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Agree, ensure you have correct action before doing something like this,
    as stated before used to build up wrist strength for speed and power.
    Alternative to use squash racquet, is to use a cover on Badminton racquet.
    This can be used for driving and to some extent net shots

11. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Come to think of it, this guy who comes and plays at a club which I also play at, plays with a squash racket. I don't think he knows it yet.... :p

12. ants

ants Regular Member

I think playing/trainning with squash racket improve the strenght of the arms and wrist. Driving will be very much easier when switch to badminton racket after trainning with squash racket.
    Off topic... one of my regular playing buddy was a former squash player switch to badminton.. what i can say that , he really does have a strong backhand. I don't know weather any of you guys attempted this before. Baseline Backhand Smash!!! sometimes when he have a forehand smash or drive.. he will turn to his backhand and hit them. Oh my oh my!... I think most of the time.. they use more backhand than forehand in squash. Maybe if you want to have good backhand .. learn from the squash players.. ehhehe

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ants, nobody is denying your statement.

Just bear in mind:

1) it only helps strength

2) it doesn't improve technique

3) risk of injury on badminton court if not careful

4) it might help backhand clears/smash, but can you play the backhand dropshot straight and cross court from the same position using same stroke action?

5) a viable alternative is the racket cover on the head (as suggested by jump_smash)