How do you higher your chances of winning a point from a smash in Men's Doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by anthonyb, Jun 28, 2012.

1. anthonyb

anthonyb Regular Member

student
    Hi Guys,

I have a fairly decent smashing technique, I use good forearm rotation to achieve power, however I am a little on the short side! :( so now and again I am known to not get much angle on my smash. When I am playing Men's Doubles I very rarely beat an opponent with a smash, even though I think its fast enough and steep enough. Is there a reason for this?

Sometimes I feel as though I advertise where my smash is going. Is there a way to disguise a smash? Are there any strategies/techniques to make a smash more effective?

Thanks
    Guys

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    follow these rules:

Rule (1): you should smash to a point where it is most difficult for your opponent to return.

Rule (2): you should smash to a point where it is most unexpected by your opponent.

Rule (3): you should smash to a random point.

As for technique of a smash, please follow this video:

[video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ[/video]

3. anthonyb

anthonyb Regular Member

student
    Thanks,

In terms of placement of the smash... should that be the inside hip? body? shoulder? feet? down the line? down the middle of the two players?

How do you smash to a random point?

Thanks pcll99
    Ant

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Let me elaborate:

Rule (1): you should smash to a point where it is most difficult for your opponent to return.

This depends on (a) where your opponents are both standing, and (b) where your opponents place their rackets. inside hip, body, shoulder, feet, down the line, down the middle of the two players, etc are all good options. It all depends. For example, if your opponent stands near the net, smash to his body or face (just kidding).

Rule (2): you should smash to a point where it is most unexpected by your opponent.

If you opponents expect you to smash down the middle, then you should smash to the line or to the body. If you opponents expect you to smash to their bodies, smash to the middle. You get the picture.

Rule (3): you should smash to a random point.

This rule is self-explanatory. No need to explain. It simply means "Don't think about it; just smash anywhere!" Use this rule if the above two rules can't be applied (eg, when you have no time to think).

Rule (4): Drop instead of smash if your opponents expect a smash.

Do this 10% to 20% of the time, depending on your stamina at any given time. Drop to the middle of your opponents or to the person who stands far to the rear. Use this rule if you are running out of breath.

#4 pcll99, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  5. anthonyb

anthonyb Regular Member

student
    Ah!

Ok

Thanks
    Ant

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    One final note on Rule (4): Smash if your opponent expects a drop!

7. visor

visor Regular Member

For shorter players smashing not getting sharp angles, I find that aiming at your opponent's chest and racket shoulder works best. When the bird is coming directly at them, it makes it very difficult to react quickly. And even if it was going out, they can't get out of the way fast enough. ;)

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yes. the key is variety (or variation).

Variation in placement, speed, timing, etc.

9. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Hitting random smashes or shots is definitely not the key. If the shots have no purpose why play them? If you play a random shot that your opponents or your partnership do not even know, you have the risk of putting yourself and your partner in trouble, and giving your opponents the advantage. Your partner will have no idea what shot you are hitting and will not be able to cover you accordingly.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

Rule (1) prevails everything else. If you can't do Rule (1) at a particular moment, apply Rule (2). If you can't apply Rule (1) and (2), maybe because you don't have time to think/react or maybe because your opponents is able to guess what you are doing, then apply Rule (3).

A small degree of randomness is better than none, IMHO. But, yes, randomness shouldn't be a key.

But feel free to disagree.

#10 pcll99, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  11. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I'm not exactly tall either, but I can win my fair share of smashes. One way that I do it is that I use the first smash at about 70% power as a setup shot (I don't expect to win this point) for a closer smash or to draw the opponents in closer. After that the smashes become easier to win.

I even mix in driving clears when they cheat in a little.

12. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I know in higher level badminton, our coach taught us to smash into their left hip (backhand side), then given the chance smash one at their right hip . They would be defending using a backhand grip and it will be too late for them to switch .....and defending forehand side with a backhand lift is difficult and would leave them short , now your partner at the front should have an easy kill.

Smashing cross-court is risky , unless you got a good angle , then you can surprise your opponent once or twice; I would avoid in a close match

Vary the speed of your smashes can also be employ when smashing at the opponent , throwing in a few nice decieving drop from the back also work a treat

#12 Staiger1, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

everything said, but not by everyone, so i'm gonna repeat it:

variation is key!! if you always smash in the same angle at the same speed, your opponents will adapt (unless you smash like fu haifeng..).

so vary: the speed of your smashes (!!!), the angle of your smashes and the placement (to the line, bodysmashes, between opponents).

this means mixing in stick smashes, smashes to the shoulder, full smashes, fast drops,....

if you incorporate these things, the opponents will not know what you're doing. that's what you want to acheve...

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

How do you higher your chances of winning a point from a smash in Men's Doubles?

A player can execute a powerful smash that sounds like thunder or its steepness can make your spine scream every time you want to retrieve it but none of this worth executing if it does not deliver any point to you. A winning smash is a smash that when executed:

- It by itself can deliver you a winning point or
    - If still retrievable, it can open an opportunity for you to do the next follow up hit that can deliver a winning point

Since in men's double there are 2 human beings guarding inside your opponent court therefore, as far as if you want to place your smash to an empty space is concern, its quite a difficult task especially if your opponent defense readiness is solid unless your smash placement is surgically accurate. Hence, the strategy in executing a winning smash in double requires a constant and continuous in court thought process in analyzing of the defense readiness of your opponent, tactical placement and blending it with deception to produce the essence of a winning character.

In general, the winning strategy in double does not means that you need to always smash and having a powerful smash and perform it while playing double also not necessarily can be a winner as well. But what is for sure the advantages to win in double is very high if you can maintain the rhythm of constant offensive towards your opponent and part of that offensive strategy is your smash.

Assuming that your footwork and both smashing preparation and technique is correct, then:

1. Analyzing of the defense readiness of your opponent

If your opponent defense readiness is well prepared then, smashing hard and continuously to them will just drain your energy out at the end and maybe you can get that point either hoping that they will make a forced error but this is a lethargic way to gain a point. If your opponent is fully prepared to received your smash then plan smartly your offensive tactic to lower their state of defense readiness first. You can execute a drop to one particular area and alternate that with a half smash afterwards in order to maintain that offensive rhythm atv the same cracking your opponent readiness. Once you've manage to peripherally visualize and aware that their state of defense has lower i.e low racket head level, then go for that smash.

2. Tactical placement

3 important area that you should aim for placement when performing your smash:

- Side line straight smash

If you want to do a smash while your opponent is covering both of their half court then a straight side line smash (esp. the outer line) will make your opponent to exert a much bigger effort to defend your smash as it has a greater distance to retrieve. It also can give you more time to follow up a next offensive hit if its retrievable to your back court.

- Body

If your opponent is a right handed player then smashing accurately to their right shoulder or anywhere near it or left shoulder if he's a left handed will make your body smash a difficult one to retrieve.

- Channel attack

Attacking in between player making them hesitate to whom will retrieve it fearing of racket clash will be one effective way to gain a point.

3. Deception

Be deceptive in your smash preparation and velocity. Your preparation can be a smash and while at this assumption, your opponent will go deep to the back court preparing to retrieve it but then the hit end up as a drop. You can swing similarly like executing a full pledge powerful smash but changing the racket head angle later at the same swinging speed will end up as a slice instead.

SS

16. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

1. try jump smashing if you can for more power and angle
    2. make your smash stronger if you can
    3. smash near the sidelines
    4. smash in the middle
    5. fake smash then drop
    6. smash at the unexpected side (if their body is facing more to the left, smash to the right)

17. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

read the first line, i think it's good enough

two words from me: "racket hip"

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Practice trying to hit areas either on the court or on your opponent. This will help you focus on placement and technique. Power is the next progression on. Once you can hit these areas then you can increase or decrease the power of the smash.

19. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    u need to have at least 2 kind of smashes - variety. yr opponent will pick up yr smashes very quickly if they are all the same (speed/angle).

20. chengjason

chengjason Regular Member

Student
    The best way to win a point with smash in doubles: variation. Left right high low weak strong.