advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by newb12345, Jun 29, 2012.

1. newb12345

newb12345 New Member

Hi all,

I've only ever played badminton for fun when I was very young, and have recently started playing weekly with a friend. My old racket got left in a shed over winter and got chewed up by some unknown animal so I need to buy a new one! No sports stores stocking much near me so I'm having to have to internet shop. Basically, I was hoping someone could advise on what I should go for - I'm a pretty sporty person in general, but have no intentions towards competing, I just want something better than the rubbishy sports centre hire rackets that will last a while. Budget is flexible, but probably wouldn't want to spend over £50 unless you think I ought to. Advice anyone?

cheers

Becs

2. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    you could get a super low end yonex from sports direct for well under £50 (i've seen some £20) and it would be better than sports centre hire rackets. Go into one of their stores and have a play with the rackets. hell i'd even buy it and have a few hits with it (not a whole game, but 10 or so swings at a shuttle; dont damage it! and not too many hits to wear out the stencil) and if you dont like it take it back and swap it for another (you dont need to tell them you used it). its really difficult to just suggest a racket. you should really try them out and make up your own mind.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you could go to sports direct.. they have small amount of yonex and wilson racket (you can check it online)
    pick the one that you like, anything is fine, but the quality is not that good

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Even if they don't stock much, as a beginner it's probably going to be alright if you get a cheap racket at a local store. As long as it feels decent in your hand, it'll be sufficient.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i would just go ahead and buy a mid-grade yonex racket like the arcsaber 002. if they are on sale you could get it really cheap. arcsabers are known to be all round rackets, and as a beginner i doubt you know what you need, so start off with a racket that's pretty much even on everything. when you get better, you can borry your friends' rackets and try them out. hitting a few shots might not be enough for you to determine whether the racket feels good in your hand.

6. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Agreed - you do not need to spend a huge amount but get a decent enough racket to make it worth while - for £50 there should be plenty of choice. Yonex and Victor make some good mid - low end rackets which are still of a decent quality.

7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Honestly you probably won't even need to spend £50. £20-30 is probably good enough.