User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by viver
    From my friends' experience it's very effective. Also this kind of treatment was also mentioned by a physiologist - working with a professional football team in Europe. As you know, the ice to help you heal but you need blood to help you recover. So the hot treament is to increase blood circulation and help the tissue recover faster. To make it a speedier recovery you need some light exercises when you're ready.

Should be smashing again in about 2 weeks time?
    I see...

Trying this method now, and using some sort of chinese medicine oil as well. After the first "cool" feeling, the medicine starts to show the "heat" effect, and make the area feels comfortable and warm with a little bit soreness. Hope it's a good sign.

ppl told me the worst part for sprain ankel is from 24-72 hrs period. Since prior to that, the blood are still "building", and after 72 hrs (assume not too serious), it will be the time to start to recover. Hope this is true. Now, the bum should reach its max already, and definitely larger than last night, but seems stopped growing already.

2 weeks... hmmm... that's what my plan is. This coming wkend, I will definitely just sit on the courtside and just cheer for ppl. Maybe do a little bit jogging as well. Surely won't play like 10 hrs as I used to do, hehehehehe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about Chinese medicine oil. Some Chinese oils do not go well with hot water. Or it's probably my skin sensitivity to the mixture of oil and hot water.

Take your time to rest. I remember my times when playing, if I injured my foot I would be at the practice sessions feeding shuttles to my team mates. If I injured my arm I would be doing my runs and footwork. Work like a slave, no rest!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Different recipes...

There are varied recipes for the chinese medicine oils, and you need to consult the master who made that one you are using as to any cause and effects with hot water.

I remember when I was lot younger and getting an ankle sprained jumping out of a bus. At the time it wasn't badminton practice afterschool, but rather kung fu practice. The master helped me with the sprain with the following treatment -

Chunk of hot ginger, immersed in his medicine wine. !5 minutes of hard rubbing of the sprain with this wine. The intent is to break up the bruise, and the medicine wine and ginger is meant to eliminate the 'bruised blood'. Also using the medicine wine is intended to prevent rheumatism as we get older (foong sup). Other than pain which I nearly blacked out, I really did not see how this treatment reduced the time to repair. I remember the sprain being extremely sore for weeks.

As I got older and learned about RICE, the time from sprain to back to play is in the order of a few days, not weeks. And damned less painful - other than the 20 minutes of searing pain from the ice cold water. Brrrrr.....

Kind of funny though, when we use to spar in kung fu, and we would literally just bash up our forearms and knuckles until they were swollen and pulpy, then we would spend an hour or so sitting around the medicine wine pot and rubbing out the bruises. Talk about Pain upon Pain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about Pain upon Pain...

badrad, we are all foolish when we are young

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I am quite experienced with Tit Ta (Chinese traditional doctors for sprains and fractures) masters. Today is not easy to find a good master. In the olden days, I trust these guys a lot more than an orthopedist. The 'massage' is painful but beats having a cast in your injured area.

Interesting point about the former Chinese badminton team doctor. His methods are a combination of western and eastern. Ice is something that Tit ta never used or at least the experts I went to never used. This doctor would use ice, sometimes infrared, or electric stimulation, and then 'massage' and mixture of herbs and oils on your injured part. Quite interesting and effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you have one bad ankle, you don't have to be completely inactive.

You'll have to keep from stressing it for awhile, and you'll have to stay off the court, but you can still work out your upper body as long as it is something you can do while seated--maybe also practice swings. Also, you can still work your other leg--seated single leg presses, knee extensions, hamstring curls, etc. Then, as your ankle gets better, you can work the upper muscles on that leg.

Anyway, that's what I do with those kinds of "minor" injuries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Californian
    Just because you have one bad ankle, you don't have to be completely inactive.

Totally agree.

I can still change grips, re-string rackets, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey buddy, sorry to hear about the bum ankle. keep the swelling down and don't put too much pressure on it. more bedrest for you now and you can have time to restring ALL the racquets you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey LazyBuddy , i guess that we are in the same shoes! I also just had a sprained ankle. Cant move much. I currently using ICE treatment. And also with some chinese oil medicine. Rubbing it. Well one thing you can try and do it to roll your foot gently over a bottle of softdrink or anykind of bottles. It can help in the recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ants
    Rubbing it. Well one thing you can try and do it to roll your foot gently over a bottle of softdrink or anykind of bottles. It can help in the recovery.
    My mom lend me her foot massage machine and forced me to use it. I guess it has the same purpose as the "bottle rolling" method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update

Today is the 6th day for the injury.

Finally, the foot is not like a big bum, and the swelling area starts to reduce in daily basis. But still like a small bum, like the size when it first injuried.

Started to go back to work (wearing very loose sneaker) since wed, due to way too much project have to be taken care of. I think walking in the office kinda slowed the healing process. Each day came back from work, my foot felt sore, need to use some warm water to make it relax.

Now, I can put some force on the foot, and the pain is not very obvious. The sore feeling is the thing bothers me every single moment. Trying to put my leg on a chair when I am reading stuff, but still have to walk around to attend meetings / trainings. The good thing is, weekend is coming up, and i can give another 2 days of good rest for the foot.

As for now, I usually use warm water for 20 min, then put on some medicine wine then wrap it up before going to sleep each day. Any more suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks to be well into the healing process. likely another week will be back to court.

This is a good example of holistic/non-medicated method to get back to working order. If you do need to resort to pain killers, Advil or IBUProfen has some anti-inflammatory qualities that help to reduce swelling injury. (worse case usage only to resort to medicines, but sometimes necessary- IMHO)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Update

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Today is the 6th day for the injury.

I think walking in the office kinda slowed the healing process. Each day came back from work, my foot felt sore, need to use some warm water to make it relax.

As for now, I usually use warm water for 20 min, then put on some medicine wine then wrap it up before going to sleep each day. Any more suggestions?
    Several thoughts:

1. Look for deep bruising (black & blue). The presence of bruising indicates something is torn or broken, so an x-ray or MRI would be in order. Redness and swelling without bruising usually means minor injury.

2. Ice is for reducing inflammation and swelling. So use it during the early stages after the injury. Heat is for promoting healing, so use it after the 2nd day.

3. A fairly tight elastic wrap or support will help to keep the swelling down and give the area a little more support and make it more comfortable. Elevation also helps.

4. The latest theory on healing is: early mobilization speeds up the healing phase. So a little walking around the office actually helps.

5. Use NSAIDs as needed. Tylenol and Panadol don't help as much since they are pain killers without any anti-inflammatory properties.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by AKFT; 09-05-2003 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re: Update

Originally posted by AKFT
    Several thoughts:

1. Look for deep bruising (black & blue). The presence of bruising indicates something is torn or broken, so an x-ray or MRI would be in order. Redness and swelling without bruising usually means minor injury.
    Hmmm... kinda scare me a little bit.

I do have a little bit bruising (purple), but way far away from the injury area, more like the edge of welling area and toes. The center of the injury are just swelling and red like a little bum.

Not too much pain but just sore around the injuried spot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back to action...

Finally...

Plan to get back to some action this sat. Doing sort of walking and jogging the past 2 days, seems the ankel held up well. Pain is down to the very min, but still sore sometimes. Hope the next 2 days will get further improvement.

Just can't sit but not playing. My hands feel weired, and club members are really surprised that they could not see me for 2 wks. Some of them (the ones were not there when i was injuried) even thought I got a gf, and got "grounded" something. God knows how they come up with a conclusion like this.

Plan to take it easy on Sat. I think I will do some drills, and join some less competitive games, if possible. Consider I will be running around between 2 clubs for a total of 10 hrs, I will surely take as much break as possible. Consider this as a "test" of my ankel. Of course, if feeling weired, might just go to one, and go back home and relax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had my own ankle injury but not as serious as yours. Only took a break of 5 days. My coach went easy on the training; I would tell him when the ankle started feeling too sore. I can walk OK but if I do forceful rotation around the joint, it still is sore. That's after 5 weeks after the injury

Probably 10 hours per week is pushing things in the early rehabilitation period.

huh, you got a gf? how come you never told us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cheung

Probably 10 hours per week is pushing things in the early rehabilitation period.

huh, you got a gf? how come you never told us?
    I will seriously evaluate my ankel the next 2 days, and on court on sat. If it acting weired, I will consider take more breaks, or just stop it. 10 hours might seem long, but I think i should be ok, if there are enough breaks. Haven't seen my buddies for so long, and can't wait to hit the little feather thing around.

Got a gf??? Nononon... I said that's a crazy thought from my buddies. Since not too many of them were there when I injuried, and most of them could never figure out a reason why crazy players like me could be out of action for 2 weeks, then, u know, rumors and guess started to pop out from nowhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast