Time for me to take a rest...

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by LazyBuddy, Aug 30, 2003.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This time, guess i have to step away from badminton action for a little while, again...

Playing on the 7th hr tonight, and step on my partner's foot. Then, fell to the floor, and next thing i know. Can't even walk... :(

A "bum" appeared around ankel, and kinda hurt when put force on. So, put some ice for about 1 hr or so, and finally able to drove back home by myself. 2 blocks from parking spot to my home took me 10 min to "jump".

I think for the 1st 24 hrs, i will keep using ice when it hurts, and after this period, I will consider put some icy hot or those chinese medicine oil/scream things to help the blood flow. Definitely have to stay away from action for at least 1-2 weeks. This really pisses me off... :mad:

Any more suggestions??? :confused:

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Do a "Michael Jordan treatment".

Steps:
    30 seconds warm-water bag
    30 seconds cold(or iced) water bag
    and keep on exchanging.......for 10 times.

It should make the bum goes down .....:)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx.

But when should I start to do it? Right now? Or after 24-48 hrs?

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I think you can do it now if the bum isn't too "big and tight"
    If it is, just put some ice on it.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, according to my own standard ;) , the "bum" was not too big, and not very tight at this moment.

But to be conservative, I guess I will still use ice tonight, and start to use ur method tomo morning.

Thnx a lot.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    If you sprained your ankle and depending on the degree of the sprain, it might be more than 2 weeks.

Might want to have a doctor check it out.

My last sprain a couple of years ago took me about 3-4 weeks to heal. Take it easy and use the off time to focus on mental skills, then. :)

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    here's what works for me and mrs badrad

We will get ankle sprains from time to time. As soon as possible we will soak the entire foot in total ice water. We empty all the ice trays into large bucket or tub, and fill with cold water. Keep the foot in this ice cold water for at least 20 minutes. The first 3-5 minutes are the worse pain from the cold.

The trick when attempting to reduce the swelling within the ankle is that usually the swollen part is insulated totally by bone, muscles and flesh. Ice packs and topical ice treatment can't get in down to the inflamed muscle or tendon.

Usually this treatment for us allows us to get back to playing within 24 hours.

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

actually, instead of waiting 24 hrs, i would recommend putting those chinese medicines on earlier. i might not be a doctor or herbalist, etc..but my mom always tells me to put on those medicines right away if i get a soreness, swelling, bruise, etc...seems to work for me, of couse with the added rest and what not.

A doctor is a good idea if the pain continues.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: here's what works for me and mrs badrad

Actually, this was exactly what i did tonight. I used the whole pack of ice (the ice cubes from gas station), and put my foot into the plastic bag for like 2 hrs. Yeah, it was really hurting as teh beginning, so, i forced my eyes to focus on the games, and did not think about the pain.

So, seems i am on the track. Maybe do more tomo...

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: Re: here's what works for me and mrs badrad

In the morning and for next few days - you need to flex and rotate your ankle, work the joints gently with your hands. This will work out any stiffness, and more important helps to reduce internal scar tissues that built up around the damaged muscles. Not that any long term damage might happen if you don't but later in life you'll start hearing little pops and crackles as you rotate your foot. I have plenty of those noises as I did not take time to rehab when I was younger.

11. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    Is there any blood clogs(internal bleeding) around the feet and toes?

I sprained my ankle just about 1.5 weeks ago.
    After the sprained, I continue with my game and didn't think much of it though it's swollen. Just used some heat spray on it.

After I got home, I used the ice method on it. But the next few days, I found out that the swelling spread, it spread to the front of my feet, the back and upward above the ankle by the side of my shin.

Went to see a doctor after the swelling and blood clogs (internal bleeding) got more serious. Found out that my ankle ligament torn. The blood clogs appears to be blood coming out from the torn ligament when i exert strength of my ankle.

Haven't been playing since and was advised to rest for 3 weeks at least. :(
    Can't wait to get back to playing.

If you think your sprained is serious, better go see a doc LB.

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Sorry to hear about the injury. For most sprains there is the RICE method which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

If you encounter a sprain, rest and default the game would be the first decision to make.

Using heat spray on the injury only made the injury worse, since the heat increases blood flow further damaging the ligament.

Also by spraying you probably had to remove the shoe which released compression that the shoe had on the foot, allowing excess blood to pump into the foot.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Be careful not to ice too long...

For treatment sake, just be cautious that longer is not always better for you.

Be careful when using ICE not to keep it on too long since cold treatment is used to reduce blood flow, not stop it, which could occur. If left on too long you might cause damage to extremities (ie. toes) due to frostbite - it may sound funny - but this has been known to happen from using localized ice treatments. 1/2 hr to 40 minutes should be more than adequate for an ankle or large joint. If you sprained a finger or toe, then icing for 10 to 15 minutes will be enough.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    About 20 hrs, now.

Use a little bit ice to "cool" is again, for about 20 min. Then, put some chinese medicin cream on. This moment, the inj. spot feels "cool", as the medicine seems working. For the edge part of the injury, since the skin is still "thin", i can feel a little bit "burning" inside already, which according to the medicine guide, seems like a good sign. For the central area, can't really feel, but the skin feels "cool".

I just wonder, when i can start to take a hot shower? Will that be bad to make the blood flow? Or, since already passed the 24 hrs period, and it will actually help to heal?

Thnx for all the advice from all of ur guys. ;)

15. viver

viver Regular Member

According to a doctor (former Chinese badminton national team doctor), depending on the severity of the injury, you can start using warm water on your injured area after 24/48 hrs. Ice is used to stop internal hemorrhage due to injury. After hemorrhage is stopped should start the recovery process. Warm water can help the blood flow in your injured area and help the tissue heal. Rest the foot for a week and then if you feel good can start doing simple exercises to strengthen - i.e. light jogging. Badrad already mentioned why light exercises should be done.

The ice/hot water treatment is another method you could try. Professional soccer players had been using this method and found it to be effective. A friend of mine (Brazilian, played football professionally in Europe) explained me how he used to do it:
    - 1st/2nd day ice (not applicable to you since your injury is already 1 day old);
    - later apply ice on the injured area for about 10/15 mins and then apply heat (hot water) in the injured area; he would repeat 3/4 times daily
    - Always start with what you finished the last time - i.e. if you did in your previous session ice/hot then this one should be hot/ice.

I have not tried the ice/hot treatment myself. I did use it on my son when he injured his ankle in football and it seemed to work well. He was running again on the 3rd day.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    viver,

Yeah, it's about 21 hrs now. I only used ice during this period of time. About 3 times. Besides the 1st time kinda long 1-2 hrs, the last two times are just 20 min each time.

So, if i start to use the ice/hot method, maybe I should start with the shower (hot), then, use ice water? Hmmm... sounds like an effective method to me.

Thnx.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

From my friends' experience it's very effective. Also this kind of treatment was also mentioned by a physiologist - working with a professional football team in Europe. As you know, the ice to help you heal but you need blood to help you recover. So the hot treament is to increase blood circulation and help the tissue recover faster. To make it a speedier recovery you need some light exercises when you're ready.

Should be smashing again in about 2 weeks time? ;)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see...

Trying this method now, and using some sort of chinese medicine oil as well. After the first "cool" feeling, the medicine starts to show the "heat" effect, and make the area feels comfortable and warm with a little bit soreness. Hope it's a good sign.

ppl told me the worst part for sprain ankel is from 24-72 hrs period. Since prior to that, the blood are still "building", and after 72 hrs (assume not too serious), it will be the time to start to recover. Hope this is true. Now, the bum should reach its max already, and definitely larger than last night, but seems stopped growing already.

2 weeks... hmmm... that's what my plan is. This coming wkend, I will definitely just sit on the courtside and just cheer for ppl. Maybe do a little bit jogging as well. Surely won't play like 10 hrs as I used to do, hehehehehe...

19. viver

viver Regular Member

Don't know about Chinese medicine oil. Some Chinese oils do not go well with hot water. Or it's probably my skin sensitivity to the mixture of oil and hot water.

Take your time to rest. I remember my times when playing, if I injured my foot I would be at the practice sessions feeding shuttles to my team mates. If I injured my arm I would be doing my runs and footwork. Work like a slave, no rest!! :(

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Different recipes...

There are varied recipes for the chinese medicine oils, and you need to consult the master who made that one you are using as to any cause and effects with hot water.

I remember when I was lot younger and getting an ankle sprained jumping out of a bus. At the time it wasn't badminton practice afterschool, but rather kung fu practice. The master helped me with the sprain with the following treatment -

Chunk of hot ginger, immersed in his medicine wine. !5 minutes of hard rubbing of the sprain with this wine. The intent is to break up the bruise, and the medicine wine and ginger is meant to eliminate the 'bruised blood'. Also using the medicine wine is intended to prevent rheumatism as we get older (foong sup). Other than pain which I nearly blacked out, I really did not see how this treatment reduced the time to repair. I remember the sprain being extremely sore for weeks.

As I got older and learned about RICE, the time from sprain to back to play is in the order of a few days, not weeks. And damned less painful - other than the 20 minutes of searing pain from the ice cold water. Brrrrr.....

Kind of funny though, when we use to spar in kung fu, and we would literally just bash up our forearms and knuckles until they were swollen and pulpy, then we would spend an hour or so sitting around the medicine wine pot and rubbing out the bruises. Talk about Pain upon Pain...