User Tag List

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That has been discussed previously. Players can earn a decent wage by turning pro it is near impossible for SG to produce a local born champion. These ladies were brought in at a very young age and have to adapt to the harsh SG environment, from language to culture to food. And most would be the only child in the family so social issues is unavoidable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any ideas on the high turn-over rate? The timing of Gu Juan's departure is puzzling. Are they on such bad terms that she wouldn't want to play the Uber Cup or that she was just kicked out? The ping-pong team seems a better situation, or is it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still can't "Reply with Quote" to Ferrerkiko's post.

And I can't even use my office PC to post as I was able to do previously. I'm using my laptop to do this. And at least I can see my own Avatar and include some pictures that come with the news. As some members have said, our software systems could be different from what kwun is trying to upgrade to.

I think isben has a point there in his/her last post.

Singapore is obviously different from Malaysia and Indonesia. Population and physical size are two glaring differences.

Devoid of natural resources except the brains of her small population, Singapore's earlier priorities were different. Can you imagine what Singapore will be like if it had remained as part of Malaysia?

Even Malaysia and Indonesia have had their own problems from time to time and we had fans airing their criticisms in these columns not too long ago. Malaysia's case seems more acute now and the forthcoming Thomas and Uber Cup results should reveal more details.

So Singapore must find its own unique solutions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reply to RedShuttle:

I think the high turnover rate could be attributable to:

1. The girls were too young when they migrated to Singapore and as isben has said they found difficulty adapting to the local culture, etc. They came because it made economic sense to their families then.

2. They probably did not have a stable mentoring system, unlike our women's table tennis team, who were mainly adults when they wore Singapore colours. Their chief coach was also China-born as a Singapore foreign talent, married to a local table tennis international and is now a proud mother as well.

Actually we also have a China-born badminton foreign talent who played for Singapore and married to a local-born badminton doubles international as well. She became a mother not too long ago and is in the women's coaching team.

3. There have been a number of changes to the coaching team that may have caused undue anxieties and instability. Some coaches may have been seen to be biased and too strict (as in the case of Zhang Beiwen who fell out on disciplinary issues). Gu Juan left the team to return to her parents a few years ago on account of biased treatment I think and was recalled to train in time for the London Olympics. This time around, it appears to be the same reason as there is now a new coaching team probably with different priorities and philosophies.

4. It could be true that the training could have resulted in serious injuries as was the case with Xing Aiying and now Gu Juan.

5. Or it could be that these young players have suffered a premature burn-out. I think Li Li could belong to this category.

6. Their cause must have been exacerbated by the incessant "Go Home" demands by unthinking and unsympathetic "foreign-talent Haters" who have forgotten their own roots in migrant Singapore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Timely Reminder to Singapore Foreign Talent Haters

Citi head of ASEAN Michael Zink share his thoughts on foreign firms and their obligations to the local workforce.

Mr Zink, an American whose career has, thus far, spanned 10 countries, highlighted that foreign firms such as ExxonMobil had been in Singapore since 1893 (through Vacuum Oil, which later became a subsidiary of Standard Oil, ExxonMobil’s predecessor company) and that its second Singapore petrochemical complex officially opened earlier this year was at a cost of US$5 billion (S$6.26 billion) to US$6 billion, Singapore’s largest manufacturing investment.

He also noted that companies such as Citi had been the incubator of local banking Singaporean leaders such as DBS chairman Peter Seah and chief executive Piyush Gupta. Mr Zink forcefully put forward that it was immaterial whether a company was domiciled in Singapore or elsewhere; the true test of belonging was contribution to Singapore.

At the individual level, he reaffirmed that the colour of one’s skin, the country of one’s birth or the passport one holds — all these should not matter. What should matter is the commitment to Singapore and the values Singaporeans hold dear. One phrase he used repeatedly to emphasise this was “of this place”.

Despite the seeming airy-fairy nature “of this place” suggests, it is a critical issue to address. Four in 10 marriages today involve a Singaporean and non-Singaporean. Singapore opens its doors to approximately 30,000 permanent residents (PRs) and 20,000 new citizens each year. Nominated Member of Parliament Eugene Tan has described immigration as the “mother of all issues in our political landscape”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reference to the above post (Unable to Edit):

TODAY

By Jeremy Lim
    - Published: May 5, 4:13 AM

At a recent Fulbright Association of Singapore annual dinner, a rapt audience listened to Citi head of ASEAN Michael Zink share his thoughts on foreign firms and their obligations to the local workforce.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    In reply to RedShuttle:I think the high turnover rate could be attributable to:...
    Thanks for the detailed analysis. Falling out happens but it is sad that what should be mutually beneficial arrangements ended up with animosity again and again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gu Juan may regret decision to quit: Former SBA chief

Gu Juan cited the inability of the SBA's coaching structure to help her develop her game to the next level as the main reason for her decision to quit the national side. Photo: Getty Images

By Dan Guen Chin
    -

Published: May 6, 4:13 AM

SINGAPORE — Former Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) chief executive officer Bobby Lee believes Gu Juan (picture), Singapore’s top-ranked female shuttler, had been hasty in her decision to quit the national side, a move that she could eventually regret.

On Sunday, the SBA revealed that Gu had resigned on April 30, citing the inability of the association’s coaching structure to help her develop her game to the next level as the main reason for her decision.

Gu also said injuries and a desire to look after her aged parents were other reasons for her departure.

But Lee, who was the SBA’s CEO from March 2011 to September last year, said Gu should have been more patient. “She is still young and has plenty of time ahead to learn and improve. Who knows, 10 years down the road, she might live to regret (her decision to quit),” said Lee, who is now in the medical industry.

Gu, who turns 24 on May 26, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Her decision has been met with surprise by national coach Liu Qingdong, and current SBA CEO Ronnie Lim said they had unsuccessfully tried to convince her to change her mind.

Currently ranked 22nd in the Badminton World Federation’s world rankings, Gu had been in the running to be selected for the Singapore squad in the Uber Cup tournament in New Delhi from May 18 to May 25.

“I don’t know about the injuries and parents, but she knows that the SBA had given her and the rest in the national team the best coaching system that the association can provide for,” said Lee.

“Luan Jin, whom Gu Juan had trained under, is a good coach and the SBA paid him well. But there is a new man (Liu Qingdong) at the helm and he is not someone new in the SBA. He has been around for 10 years and he knows the coaching set-up too.

“Gu Juan should have given Liu a chance to work on her and try to improve her skills.”

(As I've said, it is very sad that Gu Juan had made such an untimely decision, her second and possibly her last. I tend to agree that she may live to regret it.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S’pore names Thomas and Uber Cup squads, as Gu Juan quits women’s team

Published: May 4, 12:58 PM
    Updated: May 4, 7:15 PM

SINGAPORE — The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) have announced the national sides for the biennial Thomas and Uber Cups which will be held in New Delhi from May 18 to 25, but missing from the Uber Cup women’s team will be Gu Juan who has quit.

Leading local shuttler Derek Wong will be part of the men’s Thomas Cup side which includes Huang Chao, Terry Hee, Chayut Triyachat, Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Sean Lee, while for the Uber Cup competition, Chen Jia Yuan, Liang Xiao Yu, Vanessa Neo, Fu Mingtian, Yao Lei, Shinta Mulia Sari and Tan Wei Han all got the nod for the women’s team.

Gu, who represented Singapore at the London Olympics two years ago, resigned on April 30 citing injuries and wanting to look after her aged parents as reasons for her decision to step down. She also felt the SBA’s training system was insufficient to bring her game to the next level.

“Gu Juan has expressed her desire to resign earlier this year and we have tried to encourage her to stay and give the new coaching system a chance but she was reluctant,” said SBA Chief Executive Officer Ronnie Lim.

“She was also carrying injuries and has skipped several training sessions. Hence, we thought it was better for all parties to let her go.”

Gu’s resignation will not help Singapore’s chances in the Uber Cup, where they face a difficult draw having been pooled with 2010 champions South Korea and regional powerhouse Indonesia, with Australia rounding up the group.

In the Thomas Cup men’s competition, where only the top two teams of each group qualify for the quarter-finals, Singapore face a tough group that includes top seed and 13-time Thomas Cup champion Indonesia, Thailand and Nigeria.

This is the first time Singapore have qualified for the Thomas and Uber Cups in the same year

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gu Juan quits, saying new coaching system 'can't raise my game'

Gu Juan, Singapore's top woman shuttler, quits, citing a lack of faith in the new coaching system as one reason for her departure.

David Lee and Lim Say Heng

The New Paper
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014

There were doubts over Gu Juan's future when her mentor and national coach, Luan Ching, was removed by the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) in January.

Yesterday, the SBA confirmed that the shuttler, who turns 24 later this month, has quit.
    The announcement came as the association announced the squads for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup in India later this month.

The statement said that Gu Juan had tendered her resignation on April 30, citing nagging injuries and a desire to look after her aged parents as reasons for her departure.

She also expressed her reluctance to train under the current system, which is overseen by national head coach Liu Qingdong, claiming "they are unable to bring me to the next level".

SBA chief executive officer Ronnie Lim said: "Gu Juan had expressed her desire to resign earlier this year and we have tried to encourage her to stay and give the new coaching system a chance, but she was reluctant.

INJURIES

"She was also carrying injuries and skipped several training sessions.
    "Hence, we thought it was better for all parties to let her go."

While she reached a career-high world-ranking of 15 under Luan Ching, Gu Juan never won a senior title in her career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Retired Singapore badminton legend Ronald Susilo seeks SEA Games return

Yahoo Sports

By Justin Ong | Fit To Post Sports – 9 hours ago

Talk about one last shot at glory.

Former Singaporean badminton icon Ronald Susilo is gunning for a spot on the 2015 Southeast Asian Games squad, according to a statement released by the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) on Thursday evening.

The 34-year-old, who retired from the sport in 2010, said: "I want to rejoin Team Singapore as I wish to play in next year’s SEA Games. The Games are held on home ground and with my presence as a senior player, I hope to support the team and guide my juniors.”

Susilo first sprang into national – and global – consciousness with a victory over badminton great Lin Dan at the 2004 Olympics. The Indonesia native was once ranked sixth in the world at the peak of his powers, but has been less outstanding at a regional level: his best achievement at the SEA Games remains a bronze in singles and a silver in the team event.

“We welcome any Singaporean who can contribute to Team Singapore and will access his suitability accordingly. Ronald has already started training and sharing his experience with our players," said SBA CEO Ronnie Lim.

He added: "We are currently in the process of working out a competition schedule to prepare him for competing at the highest level. As time draws closer to SEA Games, we will conduct selection trials to give everybody, including Ronald, a fair chance of participation.

Susilo, currently a coach at his own badminton academy, last tasted action in the doubles event at the 2012 Singapore Open.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Susilo guns for a smashing comeback

TODAY

By Low Lin Fhoong

Published: May 16, 4:13 AM

SINGAPORE — Bewildered chuckles echoed around the Singapore Indoor Stadium last month at the OUE Singapore Open, when a fan shouted Ronald Susilo’s name as the men’s singles action got under way.

The former top Singaporean shuttler had hung up his racquet in 2010, ending a 12-year career that included giant-slaying feats such as his first-round despatch of then-world No 1 Lin Dan at the Athens Olympic Games in 2004.

Ironically, that badminton fan’s wish is about to come true as Susilo, the former world No 6, is training hard for a return at next year’s SEA Games here (June 5-16).

Itching for another chance to compete on home ground, the 34-year-old approached the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) early this year, and last month rejoined the national men’s team for morning training sessions at the Singapore Sports School.

“I approached SBA and said I want to come back for the SEA Games ... the SEA Games is on home ground and with my presence as a senior player, I hope to support the team and guide my juniors,” said Susilo, now father to two-year Rafael Edward. Wife Widyana Mulia is expecting a baby girl next month.

“They had initially asked me to come back for Thomas Cup but my wife is about to give birth, so it’s just going to be the SEA Games.

“It’s been a number of years since I did any training and it was tough at first, especially on my first day. My fitness is only about 50 per cent compared to the 2008 Olympic Games.”

“The home support has always given me a boost and I just like to play at the Indoor Stadium.”

Susilo is remembered fondly by many Singaporean fans, reaching the final four at the All-England Open in 2004 before clinching the Japan Open title and a quarter-final spot at the Olympic Games in the same year, earning him the Sportsman of the Year award in 2005.

A two-time bronze medallist in the men’s team and singles at the 2003 SEA Games, Susilo also took home the silver and bronze in the team event in 2007 and 2009. But a series of injuries and operations to his shoulder, Achilles heel and elbow from 2004 to 2007 saw him retiring from the sport in 2010.

He has made brief appearances on court since, competing in the men's doubles at the 2012 Li-Ning Singapore Open with brother-in-law Candra Wijaya and winning the Pilot Pen National Age Group Singles in March.

Susilo's impending return will be a boost to the national men's team of Derek Wong, Huang Chao, Terry Hee, Chayut Triyachart, Danny Bawa Christnanta and 20-year-old Sean Lee after the squad were hit by the pre-Thomas Cup retirements of seniors Ashton Chen and Terry Yeo last month.

World No 22 women's singles player Gu Juan had also resigned from the SBA on April 30, citing the inadequacy of the SBA's training structure to bring her game to the next level as one of the main reasons for her decision.

The national men's and women's team - who left for the Thomas and Uber Cup in New Dehli early this morning - are also in the process of rebuilding after dismal outings at last year's Singapore Open and Myanmar SEA Games.

The SBA said yesterday that it is in talks with Susilo on the possibility of rejoining the team, and chief executive officer Ronnie Lim said: "From SBA's standpoint, we welcome any Singaporean who can contribute to Team Singapore and will access suitability accordingly.

"Ronald has already started training and sharing his experience with our players and this is particularly useful for the Thomas and Uber Cup squads.

"We are currently in the process of working out a competition schedule to prepare him for competing at the highest level. As time draws closer to the SEA Games, we will conduct selection trials to give everybody, including Ronald, a fair chance of participation."

(I like Ronald's spirit. Instead of criticizing on the inadequacy of the training structure, etc, he is willing
    to punish himself with the hard training to bring himself on par in terms of physical fitness. Who knows, if he is able to progress in world ranking, he should target for the Rio Olympics after next year's SEA Games. This will indeed be an inspiration to the young ones and deter those who may want to retire so early but achieved nothing of significance. Loh)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBER CUP 2014

In today's tie against KOR, by no stretch of the imagination do I expect our girls to win against this powerhouse.

Although we lost 5-nil, I'm very pleased that we managed to extend 3 matches to the rubber:

WS1: Chen Jiayuan vs Sung Ji Hyun 16-21, 21-15, 18-21 (0.54 min)
    WS3: Fu Mingtian vs Kim Hyo Min 21-13, 19-21, 16-21 (1:04 min)
    WD2: Fu Mingtian /Vanessa Neo vs Jung Kyung Eun/Kim Ha Na 15-21, 22-20, 16-21

I commend our girls for their courage and fighting spirit.

Of special mention must be Fu Mingtian who has to play singles as well. FMT was once the SEA Games champion but had to give up singles for doubles because of injuries.

Keep it up, girls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBER CUP 2014

In today's tie against KOR, by no stretch of the imagination do I expect our girls to win against this powerhouse.

Although we lost 5-nil, I'm very pleased that we managed to extend 3 matches to the rubber:

WS1: Chen Jiayuan vs Sung Ji Hyun 16-21, 21-15, 18-21 (0.54 min)
    WS3: Fu Mingtian vs Kim Hyo Min 21-13, 19-21, 16-21 (1:04 min)
    WD2: Fu Mingtian /Vanessa Neo vs Jung Kyung Eun/Kim Ha Na 15-21, 22-20, 16-21

I commend our girls for their courage and fighting spirit.

Of special mention must be Fu Mingtian who has to play singles as well. FMT was once the SEA Games champion but had to give up singles for doubles because of injuries.

Keep it up, girls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBER CUP 2014

KOREA BEAT SINGAPORE Score: 5-0

Match overview

Order Event KOREA WOMEN TEAM - SINGAPORE WOMEN TEAM Score Points (Duration)

1 WS1
    Ji Hyun Sung VS Jiayuan Chen 21-16, 15-2,1 21-18, 1-0 (0:54)

2 WS2
    Yeon Ju Bae vs Xiaoyu Liang 21-8 21-16 1-0 (0:31)

3 WS3
    Hyo Min Kim vs Mingtian Fu 13-21, 21-19, 21-16, 1-0 (1:04)

4 WD1
    Ye Na Jang /So Young Kim vs Lei Yao/Shinta Mulia Sari 21-16 21-13 1-0 (0:35)

5 WD2
    Kyung Eun Jung/Ha Na Kim vs Yu Yan Vanessa Neo/Mingtian Fu 21-15, 20-22, 21-16, 1-0 (1:00)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the result 5-0 is a disappointing result.. Fu Mingtian should stop playing doubles... Why is she a ladies singles playing doubles. This is like asking Li Xuerui (China) play doubles..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't just look at the final result. Look into the details like the scores.

If a low ranked player can take a game off a much higher ranked opponent, she has done well. If she can win, it will be an upset.

Looking at the scores our WD1 pair of Yao/Shinta has been rather disappointing, despite their experience and long years of playing together. They should at least take a game off their rivals.

Liang Xiaoyu can be forgiven as she is still young and inexperienced and having to face a much higher ranked opponent.
    In G1, she must be overwhelmed by the occasion but recovered in G2 to give a much better showing.

You have not been following Fu Mingtian's case closely enough. She requested to convert to doubles as she could not withstand the hard training in singles as a result of which she suffered much injuries. She has to play singles here as there is no better choice. This is all the undoing of Gu Juan who left the team at the last minute.

Tell me honestly, how many UC teams here can take on Korea and win. Remember Korea beat China in 2010! So when our young girls can force a decider on their opponents, they should be encouraged to do better.

Singapore is in the early process of rebuilding a team. With so many changes going on, particularly on the departure of the more senior players, it will take a relatively long time to regroup and make any impact at the world stage. To be good enough to participate in both the TC and UC is a credit to our players.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast