Informative Speech about Badminton to my Speech Class

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by MeowMeowCats, Jul 2, 2012.

1. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

Hello,
    I am planning to make a speech about badminton to my college speech class. This is supposed to be informative and have 3 main points. Also has to be 5 minutes long min/max. One of my points I would like to talk about is how it is a sport, but just not popular here. Any ideas on what I should talk about?

2. iyuaeo

iyuaeo Regular Member

Techniques you have to perfect to reach the top, e.g. footwork and strokes

Major tournaments like olympics, world championships and All England

Speed of the shuttlecock from a smash

Just some suggestions; IMO badminton is a sport that must be seen to be understood, a speech will never be able to capture the essence of it.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's a presentation.

You can put in a 20-30 second video of a really great rally or a jump smash and talk around it.

Talk about the fitness and training sessions. Find some comparisons to other sports. e,g, the smash is over 300km/h over a distance of x feet . compare that to a tennis serve which is max 200km/h over a longer distance, then say now imagine you are receiving a tennis serve but standing x feet away i.e. roughly the length of ...(make a reference to the room you are in).

That would help people in the audience to think relative to their own surroundings and make it more interesting. Be careful not to go over time as well.

4. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Maybe it also helps during preparation of the presentation to always ask yourself: "Is this or that point good advertisement, i.e. would it make the audience want to try out badminton?" I'm a big fan of putting badminton forward, so that would be my main goal, but of course others may have other foci...

5. MeowMeowCats

Thanks guys!
    I think I might do a speed of smash; I REALLY wanted to show the watermelon vs birdie video but the quality is horrible, so I can't use that as a video aide.

I'm not sure how I would go about with the endurance/training sessions or mastering techniques though.

I need two more main points that I can interest the audience in that would want to make them try it out.
    How about what is it? I mean, not sure what I would say for a brief, but I may just make that my introduction.

6. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

7. MeowMeowCats

8. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

you can tell them the statistics on how fit you need to be for badminton

1985 world championships comparison

Tennis Badminton Time: 3 hrs & 18 mins 1 hr & 16 mins Ball/Shuttle in Play: 18 mins 37 mins Match Intensity*: 9 percent 48 percent Rallies: 299 146 Shots: 1,004 1,972 Shots Per Rally: 3.4 13.5 Distance Covered: 2 miles 4 miles

9. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    2nd point: it's a good sport that girls around the world play.

3rd point: it's a good place to pick up girls :p

10. MeowMeowCats

Ahaha, yes, pick up girls LOL. I will make sure to implement that. Haha.

Anyways for these statistics, I know this has been going around for a while, but it seems inaccurate now as the scoring system was 15 and the game was naturally longer.

11. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    1st point: It's an Olympic Sport (introduced in year...etc)... I think this would be a good introduction to the sport.

2nd point: Current rankings of US badminton players (ie. Olympic hopefuls...ie. Jane/Joe have a really really good chance at gold).

3rd point: Speed of smash (how fast, who holds it, compared to tennis, baseball, etc).

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Here are some additional points that you could consider to talk about :

I do agree with Canucks to point out that it is a good sport where girl could enjoy playing and possibly of picking up girls. This has to be an additional point, just to make your classmate laughing...:D

Perhaps you could also introduce BC. As a place where badminton lovers from all over the world share their views, giving advice & supporting each others up. It is a place where badminton knowledge is free of charge. It is also another ways for making friendships.

All the best for your presentation.

13. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

14. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I applause you for this initiative. Just like StefanDo, this is a great opportunity to share and introduce Badminton to your intended audience, whether they are attentive or not (i.e. zzzzzzzz in the class).

I must admint I'm not good in making speeeches nor any public speaking, but if your speech captures the attention of the class, that's the key. No matter what tools, methods, or presentation styles you use, the more creative you are, the more effective your message will be spread across.

Question is how can you take the many good contribution posted by BCers here as well as new ones from your research, and make your speech effective? :)

My 2cents....try to make it exciting....example, showing video clips of a unbelievable game, telling true stories, sharing humorous jokes (picking up girls....ahem), in between your points, that will help your speech more impactful. But don't forget to plan it properly.

The goal is to talk about Badminton, as long as people are listening to you, you know you have executed your plans well. :)

#14 mb111, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  15. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Hard to say without knowing the audience, but maybe this could be a good start:
    1) Show some amateur backyard style rallye (very boring)
    2) Pretend to be really amazed by it, talk about it as if it's great badminton
    Now at this point, the usual prejudices against badminton may be 100% confirmed. ;-) Then say something like: "Who of you didn't find that video totally amazing?" I guess most if not all won't dare to raise their hand. Then you may say: "Well, to be honest... I found it totally boring and almost fell asleep. .. Anyone knows why?" If you're lucky, someone may say "because it's not badminton" - if no-one says that, *you* say it. ;-) Then you say: "THIS... is badminton" and you show a video of a really crazy rallye, search for it on youtube. I found this one after a quick search, but there may be better ones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8hCUyYujU

16. MeowMeowCats

Thanks guys!
    I need a good quality video clip to show what badminton is (preferably singles) but I need one under 30 seconds. It cannot exceed 30 seconds.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good idea to show the contrast. In the end, I think the presentation will have to be super efficient to fit into 5minutes.

I did some scientific presentations on my research and had to fit it into 10minutes. That was about 17 slides (no video). I would notice many other presenters try to fit too much information and run overtime. Too many slides are no good as you whizz through and the audience can't process the information fast enough. Probably with the video, may need to restrict to a maximum of 8 slides.

18. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Let's not forget point number 1

What makes badminton distinctive?

the "media-in-play" (ie the shuttlecocks) is not spherical in contrast to many other sports, it's made of cock and 16 feathers but can fly through the air in 300+km/h...

everything else evolves from there.... racket design, strings, techniques, etc..