CCC Badminton: How to become a BWF Umpire?

Discussion in 'CCC Badminton Club' started by chris-ccc, Jul 2, 2012.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hi CCCers,

How would you like to be selected to be part of the;
    * Commonwealth Games
    * Olympic Games
    * BWF World Championships
    * Finals of Thomas and Uber Cups?

The list is endless if you become a BWF Umpire.

Let me know if you are interested.
    :):):)

#1 chris-ccc, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am getting some questions

So quickly, I am getting some questions.

To give you more info - Our CCC members are invited to do this umpire course.

When: Sunday 29-July-2012, 10am -4pm
    Where: At MSAC
    Conducted by: Badminton Victoria
    Cost: $50
    It includes, course material and assessment, certificate and badge.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton umpire has Olympic role

I received this article:
    http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...-umpire-has-olympic-role/2615055.aspx?src=rss

====== * ====== article ====== * ======

By TERRY MORRIS
    The Examiner
    06 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

BURNIE'S David Turner is about to complete a remarkable achievement in his role as an international badminton umpire.

Turner heads to London next week to prepare for the Olympic Games, where he will be the sole Australian representative on the officiating panel.

It has already been a busy year for Turner after umpiring at a $1 million tournament in Korea and then the world teams event in China.

"The Korean tournament is the richest in the world and the teams event in China is regarded as the Davis Cup of badminton,'' he said.

"Now the Olympic Games, which is regarded as the most prestigious of all - it is the pinnacle of my career.''

Turner has been on the international panel for the past few years and regards the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne as two of his big appointments.

"I was a line judge in Sydney and a central umpire in Melbourne,'' he said.

Turner was introduced to badminton through his father, Ken, who was captain, coach and manager of an Australian team that competed in Jamaica in 1966 and later was a national coach.

"My father might have created a bit of a dynasty,'' he said.

In London the badminton will be held over nine days at the Wembley Arena and Turner expects to officiate in 20 to 30 games.

"I won't know until the schedule has been worked out, and at his level of competition games can last anywhere from 40 to 100 minutes,'' he said.

Unfortunately for Turner, the London Games will be his last at Olympic level.

"Under the rules, umpires must retire when they reach 55 years of age, as I will at the end of next year,'' he said.

The restriction only applies to Olympic Games and Turner will continue to officiate in international events in the Oceania region.

====== * ====== article ====== * ======

I am glad that David mentioned how his father, Ken, managed to encourage many to be involved in Badminton.

I am also thankful that I have been under Ken Turner. It was Ken who instructed me and passed me as a qualified Badminton coach.

#3 chris-ccc, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012