Rackets similar to VT-70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by uselessmail, Jul 5, 2012.

1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Ok, so now I've been playing with my VT-70 4U for almost 3 months now and I'm extremely happy with it. It handles perfectly well for me. Now that I've gotten used to this racket, the devil in me is awakening slowly and is enticing me to buy a new racket now.
    The only gripe I have about the VT-70 is that it doesn't provide as much power as I'd want from it. Obviously since its a 4U, it falls short in the absolute power department. I am now thinking of buying a similar racket with a little more weight behind it i.e. a 3U racket. Now I know that the obvious answer is to go for the VT-70 3U version (and probably I may just end up with it). It's just that, I usually am loathe to buy the same racket twice and I like to have variety in my rackets.

Could you guys suggest some rackets with similar flex to the VT-70 and just as head heavy (even a bit more would be fine) in 3U. I do have a VT-5 in 3U and it plays good as well but its a bit too flexible for me I guess. I read that the Bravesword series rackets play very fast i.e. cut through the air very fast. Are there any rackets in that series with a flex similar to VT-70 and head heavy?? Or any other brand for that matter....
    Any suggestions???

2. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

BS LYD might be the 1 u r looking for ^_^ i have one and it just work soooo fine for me, its 3u version, control, drive, netplay is very good, lacking lil bit, just a lil bit like 8.5/10 as im not a heavy smasher so the racker is so fine for me ;)

3. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

lacking of power i mean*

4. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Braveswords are incredibly fast, swing like blade cutting through the air, but I am afraid they are not the hammer type you are after (BS LYD being slightly head heavy). LYD is an excellent doubles racquet, especially so for the front player.

I recommed you try Victor Superwaves 35. If you want a stiffer shaft with a higher BP from Yonex's offerings, try VT 80 or VT ZF.

5. uselessmail

Ya, the problem is, I have already played with a friend's VT-80 and at that time, I found it to be too stiff for my taste. Is it just because, I was trying it for the first time? Should I still buy a stiffer racket and try and get used to it?? What say guys??

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I'd say MX60 would be very similar to the VT70 in flex and head heaviness. Would swing faster too as it's more aerodynamic cross section. But please get it in 3U!

7. uselessmail

Is it just as Head heavy??

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I dont know vt70 bp, but my mx60 is ~310mm with strings

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep my mx60 was bp 305mm with strings.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

did you also add any grip?

After I switched the victor grip (all of these are terrible with no adhesive except for at the ends!) with an rkep one the bp was more like 305

11. visor

visor Regular Member

No, just factory grip. With rkep g09 white, bp becomes around 297.

12. uselessmail

Thanks guys! After all the nice reviews, I may as well get an MX-60. The only problem is, MX 60 is not available in Germany. Any workaround for this issue?
    On a different note though, are the Meteor series faster than the Bravesword series of rackets. For eg. is the MX 60 faster than the BS 11??

13. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Hey - MX60 will be available in Europe next month.

On a second note - I think the BS11 is faster than the MX60 (I play the BS11 and used to have MX60). The mx60 will be slightly more head heavy than the BS11 but not as stiff.

You may want to consider the MX70 or MX London - these are both rated 4/5 stiffness so medium stiff and slightly head heavy. The MX70 is a lovely racket and I find it offers plenty of power. I have an MX London here to try Tuesday night so have to withhold judgement on that one.

14. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Totally agree with MX70 london

15. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Or get a MX JJS. Same specs as MX70 and MX London but "plays" differently (whatever that means).

16. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    same spec but different material

17. uselessmail

Ok now I'm utterly, completely, hopelessly confused...:confused::confused::confused:
    The problem is that there's absolutely no chance for me to test these rackets before I buy and hence will have to simply pick one on 'good faith' and then hope that it'll work for me. Ok, now that I'm sure that the Meteor series is faster than the VT 70 my only problem is, to lock on to one?
    So, here I go again, one more time...;)
    Which of the following rackets is closest to the VT 70 in terms of BP and Shaft stiffness? MX60, MX70, MX London, JJS :eek:???

I'm veering towards the MX60 as of now! Sorry for the indecision guys but being a student, it is imperative to keep the expenses in check. Can't just simply order all of them and then try out n see which one's the best (like most of the affluent BC'ers here would've done ;))

18. anthemtwins

anthemtwins Regular Member

Software Developer
    Having owned a VT70 myself and played with/tried all three of the Meteor's, I'd say the MX60 is the closest in terms of flex.
    All of the Meteor's should have the same balance point, they just feel/play a (a little!) bit differently.
    I agree with your decision/say go for the MX60! ;)

19. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I personally feel it is close to mx70

20. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

wise recommendation, do not listen to your urge to collect various different rackets. I was too, enticing to my urge to try out (searching for) many few brands.. which all together cost me at least +$2000 (23 rackets range from mid to high end rackets from LiNing, Yonex, Victor, Hart, Astec, Kason, etc..etc). I knew and i had my favorite racket, old enough.. full of paint chips.. very friendly... and after all the purchases, i still came back to it, leaving the rest of the rackets as "sleeping beauty".

If you knew VT70 3U is just gonna be your "lover", then go for it. don't need to spend a dime on other rackets.