My sugestion for a new scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by drquick, Jul 5, 2012.

1. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    I have something in my mind that I want to share to you all. I wonder do you all agree with me that the scoring system of badminton is need to changed.
    The rally points system is just fine but I think it's better to reduce the number of points that need to win a set and increase the numbers of sets needed to win a game.
    I sugest the scoring system to be like this :
    - A sets is finished by the players who first reach 10 points.
    - If the scores 9-9 then it come to deuce and like always it's winning by one who can scores 2 points margin
    -The maximum points in a set is 15
    - A match is play as the best of 5 and 7 game. So the players need to win 3 sets ( in best of 5) or 4 sets (in best of 7)
    - In a tournament, the qualification stge and the early rounds matches are best of 5 game. Then in quarter final up to the final the matches are best of 7 game.

With these new scoring system I believe the matches will be more intense and excited to watch. The players will have to be focus and get into the game from the very beginning.

Honestly, when watching a badminton match, I often pay less attention in the early beacause a set is so long to complete. I will pay much more attention after the set break because the match ussually will be more tense than before the set break. But sometimes it's getting bored because the margin is too much that we can say the match is over already long before the players reach 21.

With the number of sets increase so the numbers of thrilling and exciting moments on a game will be too. That's my opinion :)

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

there used to be a scoring system like that. i think to 7 points or so. best of 7.

every player used to give away a game after 0:3 or 1:4. so there were a lot of matches scoring: 7:1, 2:7; 7:2; 7:5.
    (maybe it was up to 9 points, can't remember...).

lesson learned: makes the games even less attractive...
    i personally think the current system is very good!

3. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    That was on early 2000's and it's system not running in rally system points. And at least it's more attractive compare to some result with current system with ex : 21-11, 21-10, 21-7 or even there's some game when a players get points below 5.
    Just compare the margine

4. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    badminton isn't like tennis... It's alot faster, so lot's of cardio at work in badminton hence this type of system is pretty dangerous as it is really hard on the heart to go fast then stop then fast again for multiple times. Furthermore, the game will be very smash focused with so little points per set so a player must have really good heart to play such a system.

5. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Revert to the old 15 point system - that is the BEST for players - you need to be a good all round player to win them. You cannot smash your way to victory neither can you defend to victory. The audience, who cares, I am a PLAYER NOT A VOYUER !

6. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I agree. Lets go back to the old 15 point system where you could tire your opponent out

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Or bore them to death :).
    Personally, I'm such a bad player that I'm lucky to win half as many rallies as my opponent. But at least the score in the rally point system will be 10-21 and not 0-15 in the old system (because all of my winning rallies would only gain serve).

The OP's suggestion isn't so bad but, as mentioned, something similar was tried and found wanting.

8. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Regardless of scoring system, whoever wins the most rallies will win the game. All "21 rally point" has done is to make the game length shorter and more consistent.

Co-incidentally, Worcester league has adopted "11x2 or 15" for the 3rd set, which is close to the OP suggestion of "10x2 or 15". Personally, I feel this is a good length for a tie-breaker, but wouldn't want to play 5 sets of it.

9. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Why change it? It is a good system and produces some really exciting matches.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

the only thing that is worse than a bad scoring system is to change the system every 3 years.

the current 21-point-rally-system is pretty good, no need to change it i think!

11. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

something like tennis? Works maybe because current scoring system needed all the players to go faster and more aggressive, this will reduce long rally and consume too much energy

12. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, if the badminton scoring system were to change to the OP's idea. The game would turn very boring. Scoring 10 points is way too fast and will most likely not make the player tired. Even if there are 5 games, in between games there are a 2 minute break. So that will mean 8 minute break for the whole 5 sets, if they play that long.

The current system tests the players capability and makes them think. They need to conserve their energy at times while they can go all out at other times. Makes the game much harder.

13. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Nope. I prefer the new scoring system. I am not going to wait 20+ minutes just to see a few points to be scored. And its a torture to wait for your turn.Besides, the new format encourages more attacking. The old one tends to make players feel "defensive", especially in doubles.

14. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hehehe ... like I said I am a PLAYER ... so the longer I play, the better .... please wait hehehee ....

BTW, I play SINGLES, no more doubles since damn game destroy racquets faster than singles ... so NO WAITING ... just play full 2 hours session per go. 15-points system are for PLAYERS who are playing esp stroke/rally players ... not TV or audience ... ;) Even I also don't want to watch another person play a 15-point game ... :p unless I want to learn from their techniques !!!

15. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

That is if you are playing singles. A doubles playing stroke and rallies most of the time is just "amaturish" in my view :D

16. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Epic fail ! You should give some good points rather than bolding/capping your words for whatever reason. 'Unless I want to learn from their technique'. This made me laugh hard. Go home boy, you're drunk :D

17. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Agreed. Finally, some humanity has been restored. :D

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Have you ever played a 15-point match before ?

If you have then you know what I am talking about the 15-point being more challenging and all-round for players ... if you have not tried before then I am wasting my time here ...

19. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

You got me wrong dude. I did not say anything bad about 15-points system. It's your reasoning, it's totally does not bring any credit for 15-points system. For example when you said ' Unless I want to learn from their technique'. Even LCW / LD keeps on learning new/old techniques to polish their game. Does your technique is perfect enough for not needing to learn new techniques any more?

20. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Please read the context of the few posts earlier to my post pertaining to the discussion about 15-points being boring for audience esp TV.

Please read the whole flow of the discussion before jumping into conclusion based on one post.

My POV is that 15-point game is great for players but damn boring for viewers, and unless I want to learn something, I am not even bothered to watch other people play a 15-point match. I never mentioned or implied that my techniques are perfect until I don't need to learn or improve, so stop jumping into conclusions without reading and thinking. I am just selective when it comes to watching and learning from who plays and what I can learn.

Please read carefully - have a nice day :)