Inquisitive and ambitious novice from Germany

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Mannheimer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Mannheimer

Mannheimer Regular Member

Student
    Hi to all badminton fans,

my name is Chris and I am a 23 years old college student from Germany.
    As some of you can see on my nickname I am from a city called Mannheim.

The first time I played badminton was in physical education at school. I liked it from the beginning but never thought about it till the last year.

I had watched a youtube video from Taufik Hidayat and his phenomenal backhand smash when I got caught. I was infected by this great sport.

Since then I played with friends at my level of skill once or sometimes twice a month.
    I watched more and more badminton videos and tried to learn the correct techniques.

I can't rate my level of skill but I think it is maybe in between a greenhorn and an advanced player.
    I am able to play a clear from my own backcourt to the opponents backcourt, somtimes I hit a good smash but this is not the case.
    After watching this youtube video last week, I noticed that my stroke is wrong.
    So I grabed my racket and did some dry runs at home. At the court I didn't hit all shuttles as I wanted but the shuttlespeed inceases a lot.

Enough talk,
    I am happy to be registered here and hope I get some good tips to improve my game.

Best regards,

Chris

PS: This is my first English-speaking forum so please correct me if you find spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Thanks!

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your English is first rate!
    Welcome and have fun at BC! :)

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it should say: "Monnemer"...;-)

They have 2 good clubs in Mannheim, UBC and Waldhof. You play in one of them?

4. Mannheimer

Student
    It would sound more like "Monnema" but you are right.

I am currently not playing in a badminton club but I thought about it. Which one is better for intermediates? I want professional training to learn the techniques.

5. |_Footwork_|

don't know nowadays. waldhof used to be better in terms of higher level play. you can certainly have a probetraining in both clubs...! i would suggest any beginner to play in a good club. what you learn there can not be learned by just training on your own...

6. Mannheimer

Student
    This is why I thought about playing in a club. I watched so many videos on Youtube and learned so much but without sharp eyes from a trainer you can't do it right.
    I really want to learn how to play like Taufik Hidayat, but that's a really long (maybe neverending) way.

7. |_Footwork_|

maybe it's better not to start with the goal of becoming as good as an olympic champion...;)

just work hard and try to become a better player every day. then you'll see were you can get...!

8. Mannheimer

Student
    Shure, my goal is to become better and better. Being as good as Taufik isn't possible for me but it's a neverending goal you can practice on and on.