Your valuable comments please

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by KOKOY, Sep 1, 2003.

1. KOKOY

KOKOY Regular Member

Employed
    I have been in the sport for over a year but was not very regular in the first 9 mos due to work schedule. Aug last year, I bought an ISO SP SX, suited me very well since I smash given the opportunity. Gave me difficulty controlling at 22lbs though. But I was happy with it. Forgot my racquet once and I picked up a friend's old Prince (heavier, a friend said its not a "professional racquet" bec of the joint - later bought it for $12USD). I was playing better! Better drops, more powerful smash. I occasionally experience pain with my ISO (from straining and poor technique???) . I also get a painful sensation when what I could only imagine as shoulder muscle would "cross" from the top to the front side (sorry for lack of technical description). I had to pull something heavy or fixed to get it back and the pain is gone. This rarely happens with my use of the Prince racquet.

I am classified as a beginner in our village tournament. What would you say:

1. Is the Yonex racquet giving me pain because it is lighter?
    2. Should I discipline myself and drop the prince racquet so I get use to my ISO?
    3. Is there a racquet that will suit me better?

Sorry to burden you with this.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. ISO SP SX is the most stiff racket in the ISO SP series, and 22lb might be too much for a beginner at this moment. If the pain is very obvious, my suggestion is NOT to use SX at this moment, until ur skill (correct form, etc) and strength are getting to the particular level.

2. The joint for the Prince racket, I assume ur friend referting to the "Y" joint. There's nothing so call a "professional racket" or a "non professional racket". Of course, nothing wrong with "Y" joint or "T" joint etc. If a racket fits for ur playing and u r happy with it, why can't use it?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as LB said, the TiSP SX is a stiff racket. and add onto that, the racket does transmit more vibration from the shuttle impact (which is nice if you like the feel). the upside is that you get good control and if you have the strength, good power.

however, as you have only played for a few months, it is not a suitable racket for you as you don't have the technique and muscles to use it right now. the vibration and stiffness maybe some of the reasons why you are experiencing pain. and the stiffness and lack of power in your technique is why you are unable to propel the SX to its potential so you feel that the Prince is more powerful.

the Prince on the other hand, may be more flexible and probably will have less of the problem mentioned above.

i suggest you start from a more entry level racket, and build up from there.

4. KOKOY

KOKOY Regular Member

Employed
    Thank You

Kwun, LB:

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will not be hunting for an AT700 in HK this month. What (Brand and Model) would you recommend to a beginner?

Kokoy

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Most of the higher end Yonex racquets are stiff. If you aren't sure what you like and want something flexible, perhaps you should listen to your wallet and buy something from another brand until you can better use a stiff racquet?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Thank You

1. At this point, I guess most of the pricy higher high rackets are not suitable. It's the time to train ur skill, strength and many other fundamentals.

2. If u really like the prince racket, why can't u continue to use it?

7. KOKOY

KOKOY Regular Member

Employed
    LB

I will do exactly that. Sometimes I just have to hear it from others. Thanks.

8. loverlionus

loverlionus Regular Member

Like you I am also a beginner, and I use the Carbonex 8200 Light. It's a great racket for me, just right for my game which focuses more on control and shot placement. It probably comes closest to being a "regular" or "standard" racket, if there is such a thing, being oval shaped, regular length, and no other fancy features except for its light weight.

I am also thinking of changing rackets, but am limited by budget constraints. If you want you can trade your TiSP for my racket.:D