Another "Help! I'm new and confused" thread ...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Geezercass, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Geezercass

Geezercass New Member

can't say... (tis a secret)
    :cool: First, Hello. I'm Andy, been browsing through your forums and figured you for a friendly bunch.

Hope you don't mind me asking for some assistance and advice, but my head is totally bashed in from all the choices out there.

I'm a relative beginner to badders, probably played a total of 8 times since I started about 6 weeks ago, so yes, really really beginner. I desperately need a half-decent bat, been using a Tesco £5 bat which, to be fair, has actually surpassed my intial expectations for it, but.... it's still a Tesco £5 bat and the head is now starting to become erm... 'adjustable' :eek:

I'm happy to say that I'm really really enjoying it, and finding there's quite a few people I know who are already playing, so no shortage of partners/opponents! I'm now ready to dip my hand into my pocket and buy a proper bat. But hey, let's not go crazy here ;)

I've been reading about string tension, weighting, all the kit-and-kaboodle and guff and it's all well and good, but I look at the list of rackets available and I still go.... :confused:

So please please.. .. .. can some kind soul just point me to a racket and say... "'Dis one guvner". I'd be really grateful.

I'll give you some help though :p

I've got good upper body strength so have no problem giving it a good whack, but I was playing with someone the other day and it turns out my technique is still off as I'm using my shoulder to gain the power instead of my wrist. Will have to work on that.

I'm quite agile on the court, have decent accuracy (for a beginner) and like to play the offensive style. I like to try and dominate with fast accurate shots (try being the right word!). My budget is 'up to' £30, but ideally around £20 would be perfect for now. I'm well prepared to spend more in the future, but for now I just want a nice stepping stone.

Erm, sorry that turned into a bit 'wall of text' there :D not my intention, honest.

oh.. and shuttlecocks. ???? We want to keep using plastic for now (durability) and have been using the same 'carlton' one for the last 6 weeks, it's getting a bit battered now but still going strong. I played with feathers yesterday and it was nice, but the shuttle was mashed after 2 games. Any suggestions for a pack of shuttles? BTW, it's cold up north in Boro... feels like it's always cold here. :(

If you need to know anything else, then ask away.

Thank you in advance, and even if I get no replies, I hope I gave you a good chuckle at the badders noob getting confused at bats and plaggy shuttles.

Laters,

Andy

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

#2 amleto, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. Geezercass

Geezercass New Member

Thanks, I'll have a look in my local shop at them :)

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I doubt you will be able to find them in your local shop - probably only overpriced yonex and carlton

5. Geezercass

Geezercass New Member

6. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

For beginners, I always recommend a physical shop (usually the local one is perfectly good) as you can hold the racket in your hand. You can swish a few around and pick the one you enjoy most. You can get a feeling for what head-heavy and head-light feels, as well as how heavy it is in actual weight.
    When you're spending £20, the other 'stats' are not going to be particularly special, and you wouldn't be gaining a benefit from them at your level anyway (I think you're looking in the right price-bracket).

A racket you enjoy picking up will be better for you than any racket with cruise control, advanced torsion control or nitro boost.